Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Rules for Battles of Sail

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

GRAND FLEET ACTIONS IN THE AGE OF SAIL and FAR DISTANT SHIPS are the two sets of rules I have in mind when choosing the rules to use.  Has anyone played these and can comment on the relative merits of each?

Participant

Have only tried FDS but, while they showed promise in reading them through, they don’t actually play very well in our opinion. The basic system is very simple (even simplistic) but too much of the rules are about rare events (such as critical hits & collisions) and missing are rules for relatively common events (such as two ships boarding one enemy). There is a good set of rules in there somewhere but the published version is not to our liking and lacks some of the period specific details we had expected.

Participant

Sorry, I’m not familiar with either of those two sets. What do you find attractive about them?

-jeff

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

To be fair, in the fleet actions that FDS is intended to cover, multiple boarding actions were rare (and boarding actions in general weren’t all that common). But I have an amendment ready that covers this which I will upload after New Year. As to period specifics, what kind of things would you like to see added?

Participant

Sorry, I’m not familiar with either of those two sets. What do you find attractive about them? -jeff

I selected GFAAS years ago, based on a variety of reviews but never followed through with it.  Now I am in the process of doing so but David indicated the rules were being enhanced and FDS has now been published.  Comments on FDS are mixed so I was interested in learning from anyone here what their experience and opinion was with the two sets of rules before choosing one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.