Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Rules that scale

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

A buddy of mine is looking for a set of Fantasy rules that he can use for mass battles and skirmishes (between 4 and 20 figures per side) without having to resort to 2 or 3 different rule sets.  Anybody know of any that can do that without bogging down?  I don’t know anything about the LoTR rules but do they do such a thing?

Bonus to the rules if heroes can affect the outcomes of combats, or can commit to combats with other heroes.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

Chainmail/Sword and Sorcery comes to mind.

Mark Lewis
    Participant

A buddy of mine is looking for a set of Fantasy rules that he can use for mass battles and skirmishes (between 4 and 20 figures per side) without having to resort to 2 or 3 different rule sets. Anybody know of any that can do that without bogging down?

What do you mean by mass battles ? If you mean just getting a lot of figures on the table, but each figure still represents one man / creature (what I would call large skirmish) then there may well be rules that will cater for this (I expect the GW LoTR rules would work). However if you really do mean mass battle (so one figure represents multiple, maybe hundreds of actual combatants) then what you ask is impossible. A ruleset designed for this sort of battle cannot possibly also be used for small skirmishes.

Thomaston
    Participant

Might want to check out Age Of Sigmar. From what I remember it might scale up to larger battles.

Knyghte, Pyke and Sworde is similar to the LOTR rules but more generic.

I haven’t played the former yet, and haven’t played the later since it came out in an intro game. They’re both singly based and opposed roll for melee, but I can see both bogging down eventually in larger battles since you have to move each mini into base to base contact. LOTR is more polished and has a longer stat line for more varied/differentiable combatants while KPS is very generic and quicker for casualty resolution.

For large battles LOTR should be faster of the two, from what I can remember it rolls multiple opponent melee together, but also uses more dice. Bad side is you’ll have to come up with stats for your own minis and point value, if that’s important. KPS rolls multi combat individually and track ammo for archerd (minimum work but might be a pain with many groups of archers).

They both have characters. LOTR characters are simply normal fighters with better stats. If you make your own stats you’ll have much more control of characters, and each stat line could even correspond to RPG stats. KPS characters (individuals) have rules for each of the 3 types plus a few more in advance rules. KPS characters are closer to baseline troops and has a good chance to be taken down by a grunt while LOTR characters has to roll very badly to be killed, with all their wounds and fate points.

Tired is enough.

Phil Dutré
    Participant

Many fantasy mass battle rules that use a figure-based rules framework can do this. Most use figure-based combat resolution, so it isn’t too difficult to scale units down to 1 figure and simply play 😉 After all, there’s not too much in such rules that require you organize figures in larger units.

I guess the main difference would be in the army list/force building part of the rules, since those usually are unit based rather than figure based.

The original Warhammer started out as an individual figure/skirmish game, and then was ‘scaled up’ to a unit-based game. But the combat resolution rules are essentially still individual-figure based.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Mike
    Keymaster

Yeah, WFB would/should work.
    It works best as a skirmish as it can get a bit clunky when you have lots of big units fighting, especially if you have weapons that allow second and third ranks to fight too.
    Having said that, I used WFB for mass battles, skirmish and even RPG type games for ages, back in the past.

Rhoderic
    Participant

I used WFB for mass battles, skirmish and even RPG type games for ages, back in the past.

Which edition(s)?

Mike
    Keymaster

There can be only one!

😀

(3rd)

Kitfox
    Participant

Says you…

2nd!

Death to all fanatics!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thanks guys, I’ll throw these suggestions at him.  I’ve never played WFB or the LoTR games, so may investigate those myself.

I think what he has in his head is wanting to be able to have big army battles, but also be able to have small raids or “commando” actions, all with the same rules (or at least with rules similar enough for it to not be a pain in the butt to change game size/levels).

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

ian pillay
    Participant

There can be only one! 😀 (3rd)

my favourite version of the rules

Tally-Ho!

ian pillay
    Participant

Says you… 2nd!

I have this version as well, but in the original box. Not played version thought.

Tally-Ho!

Kitfox
    Participant

Says you… 2nd!

I have this version as well, but in the original box. Not played version thought.

3rd edition was the better game by a mile but I’d say 2nd had much better scenarios even if the balance was miles off in them in most cases.

Death to all fanatics!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.