Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Running Eylau as a Scenario

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bandit
    Participant

In a couple months I’ll be running Eylau at a convention. My question for people is quite specific: If you run Eylau (or some other historical battle with a similar freak weather event), what do *you* do with the blizzard?

I’m not asking for weather rules for snow and visibility, got that covered if needed. Rather I’m asking that since Eylau’s blizzard was such a freak event:

Do people ignore/skip it?

Have it occur as it did historically?

Randomize it somehow with a die?

Do something else?

What worked for you?

Cheers,

The Bandit

willz
    Participant

In a couple months I’ll be running Eylau at a convention. My question for people is quite specific: If you run Eylau (or some other historical battle with a similar freak weather event), what do *you* do with the blizzard? I’m not asking for weather rules for snow and visibility, got that covered if needed. Rather I’m asking that since Eylau’s blizzard was such a freak event: Do people ignore/skip it? Have it occur as it did historically? Randomize it somehow with a die? Do something else? What worked for you? Cheers, The Bandit

Bandit rather than throw a dice which at times can be overly random, I have used event cards (maybe 20 cards with 10 having the conditions you want or don’t want) or some combination of events for your game.  Maybe card 1 blizzard last 3 turns, card 2 blizzard last 5 turns and variation’s etc.

Bandit
    Participant

William,

Not sure why that didn’t occur to me, it is a good and obvious idea. How would you apply it in a situation where there’s only one event you want to control? In this instance the only event I’ve got to deal with is the blizzard, and potentially how long it lasts. A complication is that once it stops, it probably should not restart.

Cheers,

The Bandit

JozisTinMan
    Participant

Another variation based on cards you could use is this:

1. Create a deck with 1 card for each turn you roughly anticipate the game to last + ~25%
    2. Add 2 Blizzard cards to the desk and shuffle
    3. The first one drawn starts the blizzard, the second ends it.

Presto, once it starts, it will not start again and the duration is variable.

Let us know how it goes!

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

willz
    Participant

Another variation based on cards you could use is this:

1. Create a deck with 1 card for each turn you roughly anticipate the game to last + ~25%
    2. Add 2 Blizzard cards to the desk and shuffle
    3. The first one drawn starts the blizzard, the second ends it.

Presto, once it starts, it will not start again and the duration is variable. Let us know how it goes!

Yes that works , I assume you only want the blizzard to last say a maximum of 50% of the game.   As JozisTinMan states add 2 Blizzard cards to the desk and shuffle, maybe add 4, 6, 8, it all depends on how long you want the blizzard to last.

Make twenty bits of paper with the stop start option and record how many times you get approximately the blizzard you want.  That will give you an idea of what you are after.

willz
    Participant

Bandit two thoughts just struck me.

One you could buy a clockwork egg timer (I have seen them for about £5) switch it on for the start of the blizzard and when it rings the blizzard stops.

Two invest in an snow machine (live action roll play at its best) drastic but realistic, though I suspect it might not go down well with some opponents.

Bandit
    Participant

I’ll have to think on the card balance method… I think the snow machine might be a bit loud :-p

Cheers,

The Bandit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.