Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Russian Horse Artillery uniforms – a small note

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

The discussion over in TMP regarding Russian Horse Artillery uniforms points out there were very few changes during the period. That got me thinking about the cartridge pouch belt.  Like the Dragoons and Cuirassiers, their belt originally was composed with the large buckle with oval frame and double prongs, loop, and end tip all in brass. A ring was sewn to the back of the other two ends of the strap and the cartridge pouch was attached to those rings.  The strap therefore hung like a loose flap along the side of the cartridge pouch.  This was changed by decree in 1811. The straps were now attached directly to the rear of the pouch, like the infantry version.  In addition, the Dragoons lost the brass from the belt, now formed from a single strap. Did this apply  to the Horse Artillery? They were modeled after the Dragoons, but I cannot find any explicit statement in the sources. The decree in question refers specifically to Dragoons and Cuirassiers.  Leonov, Popov, & Kibovsky show a relic, which they date from 1809, that has the belt attached to the rear of the pouch. It appears to be a single strap, but the image is truncated. So it seems likely the revision applied to the Horse Artillery as well. Then again, both the Lancers and the Horse Jaegers retained the brass work, so perhaps not!  I’ll have to add a note to my page.

http://zaotlichiye.net63.net/allfacings.html

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Having spent most of this year moving from one coast to the other, I finally got a chance to make a small revision to my page. Added a note about the HA cartridge pouch belt, a couple things inspired by Le Breton’s exposition of artillery over on TMP, a correction to a ghastly typo in Цейхгауз, and some ruminations on the color purple…

Greystreak
    Participant

Bryce Allen

General Slade
    Participant

Thanks as ever for continuing to update your site.  It’s such a great resource.

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Well looks like 000webhost has taken a page from TMP and now has a daily one hour downtime on the free sites.  I’ve set mine to 8AM GMT…
    Really I have nothing bad to say about them. They were responsive when I did run into a problem. And it’s all for free. I probably  should spring for their minimal fee.

Then I could add a donate link up on the site, hehehe. 

Greystreak
    Participant

Sadly, as of 09:45 GMT today, your site was still inaccessible–so much for the 1 hour cycle.  Taking a ‘page’ from the TMP playbook?

Bryce Allen

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Bryce, sorry  to hear you are still having trouble. I have not encountered any since rescheduling the outage.

If the page is hanging after it comes up, the browser is most likely having trouble computing the extensive SVG in the page source.  I believe clearing the cache should help.

I do recommend Chrome, as I believe MS browsers won’t render the inline SVG. (The problem is the standards call for incline SVG to be encoded in a restricted character set that makes editing them impossible. Everyone else relaxes the standards, but no, not MS….)

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Okay, may have fixed things up.  Looks like what was up there had a UTF-16 BOM on it. I’m not sure if that’s because it was UTF-16 or because 000webhost was handing the upload differently now and left it in mixed format. Anyway, with some extra work, I can convert it to UTF-8 on my PC. It still has a BOM, but that is apparently acceptable as it will now render at the validation site linked over on TMP.  Please give it a try and let me know…

Bandit
    Participant

FYI, http://zaotlichiye.net63.net/allfacings.html works happy as ever (and has the last several days) via Safari v.11.x on macOS.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Greystreak
    Participant

All good and back to it’s usual brilliant format, Jonathan–many thanks!

Bryce Allen

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

I suspect it’s such a common problem that many browsers simply ignore it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.