Home Forums Ancients Saga On The Shannon

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    War Panda
    Participant

First AAR of Saga and it was a tight affair with the Vikings staging an attack on an Irish village. The center of the village and the Sacred Site at the Stone Circle are both Objectives. Each Objective is worth 5 points each while the death of a Warlord is also worth 5 points

The battle takes place near a small Celtic Village situated on the shores of the river Shannon. As the Viking war band moved up the river it spotted the smoke of several turf burning chimneys. They waste no time landing their ship along the shore and make their way towards the smoke.

Leading this murderous crew is a Ragnvald Finson, a Viking chieftain of tremendous strength and ruthless brutality (even for a norseman).

However, unknown to the raiding party this small settlement is being visited by a local tribal King, Senach Mor. Apologies for the poor quality of the above photo but the Irish were in a worried state when they took it

Alex places 8 man strong Curadh at the Sacred Stone Circle…while Senach and the rest of his men move towards the village

The Irish Warlord and his Fianna enter the village.

The Viking battleboard allows the Warlord and his Hearthguard to race into action spending a fatigue each.

Despite the Irish Bonnacht taking a defence stand the Viking onslaught is overpowering and Irish unit are wiped out to a man

Senach the Irish Warlord finds himself isolated without his warrior shield wiped out

Turning to his Christian God for inspiration the Celtic King decides to make a hasty retreat across the ford across the river

The Irish Curagh armed with double handed axes charge towards the Vikings allowing their King a safe retreat

A savage battle ensues with the Curagh taking advantage of the disordered state of the Vikings wo have just previously battled the Bonnacht

The “Son’s of Dana” allows the Irish to unleash a volley of sling shots from an unseen unit in the woods to the rear of the Viking Warrior unit.

Combined with “Bansidh Whispers” the attack is devastating taking out no less than 4 Vikings

The Irish who are now out numbered 2:1 decide to take a stand at the narrow ford so as to deal with each unit one by one

In a fury Ragnvald takes the bait and sends the remainder of his hearthguard towards the ford who are easily dispatched by the Irish.

Moving together with his bodyguard Ragnvald charges across the ford and for the first time both Warlords clash!

Unable to use the advantage of superior numbers and within reach of his enemy Warlord a vicious fight erupts at the ford.

Against all the odds the Irish Kings delivers a fatal blow that sends the body of the accursed Viking giant down the flowing river.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Great looking game and some nice in action photos

Rod Robertson
    Participant

War Panda:

Holy Crap!!!! That is beautiful work and a very interesting Bat. Rep.! Lovely figures, awesome terrain, outstanding buildings and structures and a magnificent Viking longship. How did you paint that sail? We are being spoiled by exposure to such delightful eye-candy! Thank you so much for posting this and please post more! You are making me eager to spend money I don’t have, to buy figures I have no time to paint, so I can make terrain for which I have little talent in construction, to play rules I do not own, and spend more time I do not have playing Saga! Why the [email protected]  am I thanking you? Because it’s bloody beautiful, that’s why! Inspiring and inciting, you Siren of miniatures; you will run the ship of my life on the rocks of this hobby with work like that! I thank you and curse you, all in one breath! Bravo!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

War Panda
    Participant

Thanks Steve; the photos were taken quickly on my iPhone and I didn’t have much time to piece the thing together but the game itself was really fun to play

Thanks Rod (I think..)

I can’t take credit for the sail of the longship…it was a piece I bought years ago for our cabin on Lough Ree and now its just gathering dust when not taken out for cameo appearances on TWW…

As a friend and a responsible human being I’d advise placing your present and long term financial situation in peril to start playing this game ASAP (you know you want too) Many others have already made this decision in the past and obviously have no regrets.

Shaun Travers
    Participant

Wow!  even the dark age terrain looks great!  Great AAR.  I have not played Saga but everyone I have met that has played says it is great.   You may be hooked by the sound of it.

War Panda
    Participant

Thanks Shaun 🙂 I really do like this game; the battle board offers a lot of opportunities to strategize and prepare a plan. Doesn’t require a great deal of minis so its a nice introduction to the era 🙂

kyoteblue
    Participant

Your Viking leader carries a tree with him ?????? Love the look of the terrain and long ship…..but a tree….

War Panda
    Participant

LoL Blue…before someone accuses you of asking a stupid question let me say that we should “judge a man by his questions rather than his answers” and you’ll need to take some consolation in this as you read on and because I had no intention of bringing this up you have no one to blame but yourself …here we go…I’ll take a deep breath 🙂

So as most Christians are aware the tree was (and is) greatly used in Christian Iconography since medieval times and before, in fact they exist in many pre-Christian traditions. The tree is a traditional Judeo Christian symbolic representation of life and the source of life and this symbol is contained as early as the first book of the bible through the image of the tree of life in Genesis. Later St Peter in his first letter uses the image of a tree when making a reference to the cross of Christ’s redeeming sacrifice: “Who in his own self bore our sins in his body upon the tree”

The observant will probably have noticed the Irish Warlord’s stand carries the Celtic Cross on his base (representing his own affiliation with Christ)

As is pointed out here the Viking Warlord has a tree, well in fact it’s a dead tree, with no less than 3 dead heads resting upon its dead branches..this is alluding to the Vikings God or spiritual values being a type of antithesis of the Christian God, the Holy Trinity, One God head, three distinct Divine Persons

The symbol I borrowed of this tree of death in contrast to the Christian tree of life (represented by the Celtic Cross) is then reinforced by a certain theory of Norse mythology…I’ll quote wikapedia if I can find something

Ok let me quote Wiki: In Norse mythology Yggdrasil from Old Norse Yggdrasill is an immense tree that is central in Norse cosmology, in connection to which the nine worlds exist. Tree that holds all creation together…

One theory suggests that Yggdrasill refers to the word “terror”  yet not in reference to the Odinic name, and so Yggdrasill would then mean “tree of terror, gallows”

So the Viking’s Warlord’s base has a dead tree representing Yggdrasill meaning the tree of terror or gallows (hence the decapitated heads hanging from its boughs)

So in a way the game was playing out what I regard as a spiritual battle that I believe actually took place in a way and still does. BTW I played Viking and Alex was the Irish and I’m still not entirely sure how I ended up defeated 🙂

Ironically I played this game on the 15th of Sept which so happens to be the feast of the Exaltation of the Cross.

Curiously just after my posting this (just 13 hours ago actually) on the Gripping Beast Website (where I buy my minis for Saga) they posted this tutorial on how to place a tree on your base …which could be viewed as an alternative answer I suppose. I’ve left a Link below if anyone cares to have a butchers 🙂

SHVA13 Brian Boru, First High King of The Irish (1)

http://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/SHVA13_Brian_Boru_First_High_King_of_The_Irish_1–product–5163.html

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by War Panda. Reason: Quotes from Wiki are messed up man

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Thank you Professor Panda:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/professor-panda-clipart-picture-cartoon-character-48564792.jpg

Such deep thoughts and such esoteric imagery! You have made Saga into a metaphorical passion play! And now perhaps a stirring dissertation on the role of the cauldron in Celtic and Celtic-Christian Iconography and heroic imagery?

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

War Panda
    Participant

Nil, I’ll instead speak on Scottish spirituality and their held importance of the chamber pot…Oh sorry I forgot they don’t have spirituality. Nor chamber pots

(This poor attempt at humor was not intended to offend anyone who actually uses a chamber pot… unless they’re Scottish….or named Rod…)

Put simply I’m trying my damndest to offend Rod and anyone silly enough to be Scottish.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Shame Rod…..I do not think that is possible !!!!

Mike
    Keymaster

Oooh good eye candy.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

The War Panda:

I know this may be a difficult and abstract concept (far beyond the capacity of that diminutive sub-cranial acorn which rattles around in your skull and which you mistakenly consider to be your brain) but you need not trouble yourself with offending me. Your very existence offends me and indeed all creation and your every post, both positive and pejorative, is an annoying reminder of your existence and an object lesson in the concept of Irish inferiority and insecurity. Being of Scottish ancestry and Canadian birth, I am blessed to be part of the greatest Celtic lineage there ever was and to be born in the greatest country in which to live in these modern times. I have won the existential lottery which you have so dismally lost as you came into existence in Ireland, oh those many years ago.

Having said that, the report, the terrain and the figures you have displayed are excellent and prove that while your brain may be nonfunctional, your spinal cord and peripheral nervous system are functioning at an exemplary level.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Just Jack
    Participant

Panda,

First, I thought Rod was The Professor 😉

Second, so that’s what you’ve been doing for the past two months (referring to the figures/batrep, not your response to Kyote)!  It looks absolutely fantastic man.  And probably a lot of fun, but I still don’t understand those types of battles besides ‘two groups of unwashed vagrants crash into each other with swords and other sharp, pointy things,’ and I don’t mean that in a negative way, just pointing out my lack of understanding.  I can recall going through the same thing with Napoleonics: okay, a bunch of guys in pretty uniforms, some walking, some riding horses, a few cannons lying about, but what do you do and how do you do it?

I think that rules system might be cool (as you pointed out) to do Lord of the Rings, or maybe even Braveheart 😉

V/R,
    Jack

War Panda
    Participant

Greetings gentlemen (and Rod)

Just got back from the most hellish meetings in Red Deer and Im exhausted. I’ll try to address Jack’s intelligent observations on Dark Age warfare and oppress Rod’s ignorant incomprehensions

Just when I think Rod the Ridiculous stands too deeply in his own excrement to warrant any civil form of human response I remember that he’s just a simple Scottish  peasant with no meaning or purpose in life save cursing the ill fortune that denied him true Celtic royal blood coursing through his vains, yes real Irishblood)…instead the poor pathetic skirt wearing, sheep stomach eating savage will wander the earth feeling sorry for himself

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by War Panda.

Just Jack
    Participant

Panda,

I didn’t think I had any intelligent observations on Dark Age warfare, so please do address it. For example, I’ve read the term ‘shield wall’ but I can’t figure out why or when it should be used, or who’s allowed to use it, etc…

So lay it on me man!

V/R,

Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Hoo, hoo! The War Panda’s acorn seems to be working a bit, or maybe that’s just the adrenaline left over from the “hellish meetings in Red Deer”- you poor thing. Vanity is certainly a characteristic of those egocentric Irish rogues who feel that the ‘true blood’ flows through their “vains”, but we of Scottish descent and superior Scottish education prefer to claim that we have Celtic blood flowing through our VEINS! While I am very impressed with the Panda’s artistic and iconographic skills, his understanding of History, Scottish Highland culture, spelling and indeed anything which did not occur on the verdant Isle of Erin is sorely lacking. The Irish seem to think that God ordained them to be the centre of the world, with all the other parts circling around an Irish axis. Alas, it is an understandable misconception that those of the accursed isle would think this is true, as this is also the perspective of offal being flushed down a toilet.

Now, the grand people of Scotland do not eat sheep stomachs unless they are starving or being force-fed tripe by the English usurpers. We cook Haggis in sheep intestine/ stomach and then remove it from same, before we consume it. The Scottish do not wear skirts but kilts, a garment which not only wraps around the waist as a skirt would, but also wraps around the whole torso and goes over one shoulder – far more than a simple skirt. Of course such a misconception could be excused if the Irish even bothered to wear clothes, but at every important Dark Age social event (battle) they kept turning up buck-naked. Finally we in Scotland built our homes from wood, stone and thatch, unlike the Irish (and lamentably the English) who mixed their own and animal excrement into the wattle and daub from which they constructed their homes. Thus standing waist deep in our own waste put us half a body less than you lot in the detritus.

Jack:

I agree with the good Panda that your observations and questions are shrewd and astute. Alas, I will let the wee-brained, ego-maniacal leprechaun, try to explain shield walls to you as this will no doubt be amusing and comical. Also I have two installments of Team Whiskey to catch up on so it’s off to the modern forum now!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

War Panda
    Participant

“The Scottish do not wear skirts “

Yeah, except for the men.

“but kilts, a garment which not only wraps around the waist as a skirt would, but also wraps around the whole torso and goes over one shoulder – far more than a simple skirt”

Oh wow I had no idea; how foolish I feel…thanks for going into such an elaborate description that clarifies that kilts are in fact not just skirts but are skirts that can also be worn as semi shoulderless dresses…wow I’m shocked…I’m shocked you actually wanted to air this info!!!

if the Irish even bothered to wear clothes, but at every important Dark Age social event (battle) they kept turning up buck-naked

The Irish were proud to show the wee Scots what real men look like ….there’s a lot of debate of whether this was what actually led the Scottish “men” to adopt the skirt/dress since they they resembled their women folk more than their Celtic neighbors

As for the Irish building houses out of “sh#t” well is this from the same historical source as your post on Vikings founding Melbourne and riding kangaroos into battle?

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/australia-archaeologists-unearth-ruins-of-viking-trade-center/

kyoteblue
    Participant

Oh Vikings in Oz !!!!

War Panda
    Participant

Yep…apparently they did 🙂 Well maybe the Irish build their houses out of crap but the Scottish build their stories out of it

Rod Robertson
    Participant

The War Panda:

Someone is full of piss and vinegar today! The noble Scottish folk are unaffected by the accusations and declamations of the bombastic and unreasoned Irish rabble. This is not arrogance, just the wisdom of experience and self-confidence, for we understand that the opinions of fools don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. We of Scotland or of Scottish ancestry have spread our wings and made the world our oyster. While the Scots built trading companies, financial institutions, railways, shipping lines, oil companies, etc., the Irish worked as cheap labour, wrote angst-ridden poetry, made inferior beer and whiskey, and generally whined about their wretched condition. While Scottish architects designed buildings, canal systems, bridges and tunnels, the Irish heaved the dirt and poured the concrete to make these Scottish dreams become reality. The Scots have been the cookie creators and you lot have been the Keebler elves. 

Now, please don’t get me wrong. The Irish have produced fine poetry, prose, music, song and folklore, but that is all based on the unreal. The Scots have gone forth and reshaped the world (for better or worse) as soldiers, traders, bankers, captains of industry, men of science, scholars and leaders of nations. We have conquered the world and made it our own. The Irish just live in it! 

I am old enough to remember the process by which the L’anse aux Meadow Viking settlement discovered in Newfoundland-Labrador came to be accepted as fact. Only after much skepticism and years of academic hostility to the idea and those who would dare embrace the notion of pre-Columbian North American settlements against the will of the majority of academic orthodoxy, did the idea gain currency and legitimacy. So, while I was and still am skeptical of reports of Viking finds in both Australia and New Zealand, I also keep an open mind to new possibilities. So, I feel no shame or remorse in posting that Viking “discovery” article on another website for if it awakens others to new possibilities, provokes them to critical analysis and stirs them to make informed judgements, then the veracity of the article does not really matter. True or false we have all learned something and have been forced to come to our own conclusions. We have reshaped the world in our own mind’s eye – a quintessentially Scottish approach to learning.

So, good Panda, please do not malign the fine Scottish people or their descendants in the Scottish diaspora. They are the best of the best! No amount of hand-wringing, teeth-grinding or bad-mouthing is going to change that immutable fact. Be content to be associated with the zenith of Celtic culture and the great achievements by the Scots of the world. Take solace in the fact that the Dal Riada and Scoti were originally from Ireland, until they left to be rid of the likes of you, and embarked upon the great adventure that has made the world a Scottish project! In a very real way, we of Scotland owe the Irish a very great debt, for were it not for the repulsive Irish nature, we would never have left to change the world! So, for being the disagreeable catalyst which helped the Scottish fulfill their destiny of remaking the modern world, I salute you of Ireland!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

War Panda
    Participant

The Scots have gone forth and reshaped the world (for better or worse) as soldiers, traders, bankers, captains of industry, men of science, scholars and leaders of nations. We have conquered the world and made it our own. The Irish just live in it! 

Rod…I have three pieces of advice. Go easy on the whiskey, no more trips to the Masons Hall. Quit taking your history lessons from the National Enquirer.

Yes it seems the manufacture of mythology has passed from the Irish and now belongs in the hands of those pitiful Scots…Mine you tales of Giants and children being turned into swans are looking like very believable science compared to some of your modern mythology

Rod your posts do make me smile and sick in almost equal measure 😉

Rod Robertson
    Participant

The War Panda wrote:

“Rod your posts do make me smile and sick in almost equal measure 😉”

Panda, ah, that is good. I am pleased that you smile at such tom-foolery, and I am gratified that I can be such a regular source of dyspepsia. Now, go to bed, you poor tired soul, and get some much needed sleep – there’s a good lad.

Hee-hee-hee.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Shaun Travers
    Participant

Vikings in Oz? Pleeeaase!!!! I was not born in Oz but try not to get too silly 🙂 Regardless, we do not care; and any Viking that did come to our shores would have realised how good they had it and not gone back to tell about it!

War Panda
    Participant

Shaun, thank you. I needed some reason and logic to confront Rod and his wild fantastical imaginings.

The Scots ruling the world? They don’t even rule Scotland!

And to be quite honest that’s the only reason Scotland (or Northern England as it’s really called) is still there. Don’t know how many times I found some poor Scottish bloke dressed as a school girl wandering the country side lost and afraid and wanting to get back home to England and his nice English Overlords. Poor Rod…he’s living in such denial his psychosis has reached titanic proportions:

Scotland rules the world. (giggle)

Everyone admires us. (….LoL)

We wear skirts that double as dresses but they’re not skirts or dresses! Oh dear…it’s sad….

We don’t eat sheep’s stomach’s! We just eat it’s lining! (Unless our English Overlord tells us otherwise…

And this is how Scottish cuisine came to be: it consists basically of anything the English peasants refused to eat….yes that conveniently became Scottish cuisine… (ruling the world…giggle)

Let me end Rod’s farcical claims with an image that shows the real face of Scottish global domination ….I’m not sure why the Simpson’s chose not to reflect the popular caricature of Scots as high rising bank executives or as the normal genius architect creating buildings of the future, no they chose a drunken school  janitor as the Scottish stereotype controversial if you believe Rod’s world view…hmmm Say Prof Rod, what do you do at that school exactly?

No one wants you to feel like the ugly girl…I mean the Scot in this image. We all love you Rod…we just want you to stop living a lie and face the humiliating truth that you are in fact the lowest of all our species. Well apart from Oklahoma and Texas…don’t get me started on those poor [email protected]#rds

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Oh Panda! You silly bear! You can’t claim that someone is making fantastical claims and then back up your argument with a Simpsons cartoon cameo. Scottish independence would have been a disaster for both Scotland and the UK, because it was and is the Scots who have made the UK great! Have a wee read of the role that Scots and people of Scottish descent have played in the running of the United Kingdom linked here:

http://punditwire.com/2014/08/05/who-will-govern-england-if-the-scots-split/

The most influential Irish people have been writers, poets, play writes and musicians/entertainers, exporting the culture and mythology of Ireland to the world. But Scots have gone out and made the world in their own image and have quietly moved to control the greatest states of the modern world. We run the UK and have a dominant influence in the USA. Even modern Russia is a Scottish project since James Bruce (AKA Jacob Bruce) created the Russian Academy of Sciences and dragged that benighted land into the modern age under Peter the Great! The Bruces (James and Robert) guided Russia through a renaissance under Peter and Katherine and made Russia into a modern European power!

As an experiment, I googled “Irish who changed the world” and got a list of 21 Irish who had a moderate to large impact on the world (linked below). The majority were men and women of letters. That list of 21 was linked to lists of Scots, English and Welsh who had changed the world and each of those lists had to limit themselves for the sake of brevity to the Top 100 movers and changers. A quick look at the names on those three other lists demonstrates that Scots have had a very real and disproportionately large impact on the world.

http://www.biographyonline.net/people/famous/irish.html

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

War Panda
    Participant

Rod…please I don’t mind you drinking and ranting and raving like a…like a…well like a Scotsman, this seems tolerable  in our evening exchanges but this is Sunday morning so go easy on the whiskey OK….

Now please stop insulting the entire world by pretending to rule it…your English Overlord’s won’t be happy with you!

I googled famous Scottish people who have influenced the world and this is what came up (because google is the source of all truth)

thttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4yeqSgNxiEo

kyoteblue
    Participant

LOL !!!!

War Panda
    Participant

Scots have gone out and made the world in their own image

Lucky world (photos of what the Scottish have done to northern England:

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Sounds of laughing from Quebec!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Scots Vobiscum, good Panda! Et cum Scotu tuo!

Patrice
    Participant

Magnificent !

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

War Panda
    Participant

Truth is Rod, one of my best buddies at work is from Glasgow…we have exchanges like this when we meet up (heès not as polite about it as you ;)) He wasn’t at the meetings on Friday so I needed my fix it seems…

Have a nice Sunday Rod… 😉 and glad youre laughing…we need to be able to laugh at ourselves…especially if youre Scottish 🙂

War Panda
    Participant

Thanks Patrice!

…not sure if youre referring to my AAR or my harsh treatment of Rod 😉

Rod Robertson
    Participant

The Suffering War Panda:

Oh, you poor thing, no Scots to abuse at work. Tragic, I tell you, tragic and sad that a stressed Irishman can’t find a convenient Scot to bait and belittle when he needs a proxy for stress balls! Maybe that’s why we go “regimental”? Well, we have learned from the most famous Aramaic Scot of all, that the God of Scotland forgives you! So go in peace, drink ten single malt shots and make a good act of contrition! Or,…. just punch someone. It’s a hard Knox life! Koo-Ahrrr!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Rod Robertson.
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

The War Panda (and anyone else for that matter):

In all seriousness this is great stuff you have posted and it has caused me to resolve to get off my backside and order the four 28mm forces which I will start with. They will be:

1. Late Dark Age Scots Army using Crusader Miniatures figures.
    2. Late Dark Age Medieval Irish Army using Crusader Miniature figures.
    3. Late Dark Age Viking Army using undetermined figures at this point – Wargames Foundry look good.
    4. Early Medieval North American Skraeling Army using CP and Footsore Miniatures.

My questions to you are three:

1. Should I invest in 4 point or 6 point armies?
    2. What SAGA books/products are needed to play these armies and what products can I get away without buying?
    3. What kinds of terrain and landscape features do you recommend I look into making/ purchasing?

Thanks in advance for your counsel.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Make sure you have trees on those figures Rod !!!!!!

War Panda
    Participant

Just on the run right now Rod but get back to you here later and I’ll email you some book info

Rod Robertson
    Participant

The War Panda:

Thanks for your assistance and counsel in matters SAGA. Your two e-mails were very informative and most appreciated.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Kyoteblue:

I tend to limit tree coverage to the terrain rather than the miniatures, but given the Panda’s propensity to embed esoteric knowledge and imagery into his playing pieces, I may have my work cut out for me! Scots with 32nd degree Masonic imagery, Vikings influenced by the far-reaching tendrils of the Bavarian Illuminati and the Gnomes of Zurich, Skraelings with arcane First Nations imagery and finally, the Irish with ….. ah, ….. got noth’in! Wait, ….. clothes!

Cheers and good gaming (mowing).

Rod Robertson.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.