Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Salt Dough

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all
    I have had a 6mm ECW army sat going dusty in a box for many years, as there were no other players in that scale at my club. Well, a recent new member plays the same scale and era, and after a bit of back-and-forth over what rules to use, last week we agreed a game this coming Thursday.

Ah… the club has no 6mm scenery either.

So, I agreed to make some last weekend, and have quickly knocked out a few yards of river, walls, hedges, a few little houses and a church. He has trees and other things, so we should be OK.

The only problem I had was a bridge. Time was short, I had nothing much to make it out of so I went ‘what the heck’ and used salt dough.

It’s still setting, so no piccies yet (I will, I promise) but so far it looks ‘acceptable for 6mm’. My question – is set salt-dough very frangible? Tough as old boots? Somewhere in between? I am letting it air-dry, as salt-dough can puff sometimes if you bake it.

Participant

I’ve got my daughter’s handprint from 2003 sat on the desk in front of me – air dried salt dough – admittedly painted and varnished on top, but untouched underneath and it’s like rock. 14 years on from first mixing it feels like pottery . Whether yours will dry to that consistency before tomorrow evening I don’t know (its says on t’internet you can dry it out in a microwave , but that sounds like a recipe for exploding bridges to me). But given a bit of care you should be fine.

Participant

Hard as a rock you say? Hmm good news…. Granite, or Shale?

It’s slow-cooking on the radiator, so I hope it will dry in time.. covered it in Polyfilla and varnish so expect the dough will be stronger than the texturing in any case. Thanks Guy.

Participant

Calcite?

Piccies as promised though when its dry, please.

Participant

They dried in time… and I rather regret it…. the game ended up as my covenanters trying to storm a number of river crossings. I wonder how many generals would count ‘contested river crossing’ under their top ten ‘fun things to do with your army this weekend’ . 🙂

I won, but even so…. hard work.

I promised photo’s, and I will provide, when my tech-savvy daughter returns from college with our one decent camera.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.