Home Forums General Conventions and Shows SALUTE

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    hammurabi70
    Participant
    Grimheart
    Participant

Sad but not unexpected.

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

With HM Government advising (at the minute, but it may get draconian) everybody to avoid social gatherings you’d have to be a bit daft to want to go.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Mike
    Keymaster

Postponed?
    So does that mean the traders that have invested £1000’s won’t get a refund or see any return on their investment.
    Just a big spend on stock, hotels, van hire, stand fees etc?
    But no way to get that money back for 12 months?

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Postponed? So does that mean the traders that have invested £1000’s won’t get a refund or see any return on their investment. Just a big spend on stock, hotels, van hire, stand fees etc? But no way to get that money back for 12 months?

I hate to point out the obvious, but airlines and the hospitality industry are taking an even bigger beating.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Mike
    Keymaster

I like to point out the obvious, but this is not the airlines and hospitality website.

😉

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I like to point out the obvious, but this is not the airlines and hospitality website. 😉

I like to point out the not-so-obvious, and airlines and hospitality going titzup will affect me more.

And it’s all about me. 🙂

Truscott Trotter
    Participant

Postponed?
    So does that mean the traders that have invested £1000’s won’t get a refund or see any return on their investment.
    Just a big spend on stock, hotels, van hire, stand fees etc?
    But no way to get that money back for 12 months?

That’s what I am thinking too – that sucks. If the traders go under or get really peed off, there will be no Salute 2021 surely?

Thomaston
    Participant

That’s what I am thinking too – that sucks. If the traders go under or get really peed off, there will be no Salute 2021 surely?

Maybe tehre will be a Salue 2021 in 2022?

It was weird. On the 17th, I read on GZG website salute was still on until further notice. On the 18th Salute is a no go.
    I was also wondering what happens to all the reservations and how it impacts the various participants.

Tired is enough.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

The only thing I can find is:

We are in the process of contacting affected traders and gamers directly to discuss next steps.

All tickets bought so far will remain valid and we will reopen ticket sales nearer the time.

From http://www.salute.co.uk/salute/salute-2020/

Aotrs Commander
    Participant

Postponed? So does that mean the traders that have invested £1000’s won’t get a refund or see any return on their investment. Just a big spend on stock, hotels, van hire, stand fees etc? But no way to get that money back for 12 months?

In fairness, what are the alternatives? The show MIGHT be able to refund on something like stand fees (that sort of thing might be in the negotiations), but they can’t control what the hotels and van hire (which may themselves be shutting down anyway or something), nor would holding it open (even if by the time rolls around it has not stopped being “advised,” and has become “mandatory”) necessarily mean the that enough people would turn up to buy all the stuff anyway.

(Partizan nominally warned it was going to postpone itself to nominally Other Partizan (the annoucement was going to be made on the 2nd of April, but I can’t see it going ahead now) and one of the reasons was the point that a lot of wargamers are in my and my dad’s age (i.e. 40-60+) now and thus in the high-risk category).

Let’s face it, for most of us, our whole hobby (and business, likely, in my specific case) basically just got put on involentary hold for an indefinite period, but there’s pretty much sod-all we can do about it.

I don’t like it (the entire situation and its handling by the governments, the media and the global general public straight out infuriates me, to put it as mildly as possible, because time and place), but with the situation being as it is, that’s where we are.

For what it’s worth, the traders I spoke to at Hammerhead (including Jon at GZG) were fairly philosophical about the possibility, rather than in a panic they’d go out of business. I don’t think it will have come as a surprise at this point.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

(even if by the time rolls around it has not stopped being “advised,” and has become “mandatory”)

It’s already become mandatory. 😉

Aotrs Commander
    Participant

(even if by the time rolls around it has not stopped being “advised,” and has become “mandatory”)

It’s already become mandatory. 😉

Doesn’t surprise me.

(I am, in fact, actively avoiding the news, as I am trying to spend my days somewhat productively and not… Well, let’s just say I have a keen appreciation for that think Bruce said at the end of the first Avengers movie…)

MartinR
    Participant

The UK government has already put up a comprehensive list of business support (grants, loans, tax exemptions etc)  and they are very generous for small traders. So it isn’t all doom and gloom for small businesses even if shows are postponed. You’d almost think a different party had won the election…

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

MattH
    Participant

They’ve turned the Excel centre into a hospital. I can’t work out whether I find that news comforting or terrifying.

Grimheart
    Participant

They’ve turned the Excel centre into a hospital. I can’t work out whether I find that news comforting or terrifying.

Both. That place is huge…….

Hope you all manage to stay safe.

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.