Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Sand Dunes in 6mm

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

I want to have sand dunes on a desert theme table I am working on and I’m not sure how to go about creating them (I’m assuming I cannot buy them), can anyone be of assistance?

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

How high do you want your dunes?

This is not a stupid question 😉

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Mike
    Keymaster

Indeed, also what sort of footprint?
    Initial thought is some sandpaper stuck to some polystyrene blocks that have been carved to shape.
    Or for a bit more effort, just carved blocks with sand stuck on with pva…

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I was thinking Polyfilla on mdf, painted and ‘flocked’ with sand (kiln dried, silver or beach, not builder’s).

Not really practicable for large pieces – the Polyfilla would probably shrink and crack. There’s also the weight.

DAS Pronto would be an alternative. Probably more expensive though.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Earther
    Participant

Amera do these 15mm dunes, but they may be a bit large? Dimensions on the web link.

Amera Dunes

M211 Sand Dunes HERE (scroll down)

Mr. Average
    Participant

Spackling plaster may also do the trick. Also Warzone does a set of dunes along the lines Mike mentioned above.

http://www.war-zone.com

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I think those Amera ones will do the trick if suitably mounted and flocked.

Noel
    Participant

This is going to sound unusual, but what about covering a table in sand and piling up dunes out of that?

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

This is going to sound unusual, but what about covering a table in sand and piling up dunes out of that?

Heavy, messy, and the sand won’t stay piled up 😉

Norm S
    Participant

Kallistra sell a pack of three (non-hexed) hills that could double for dunes, though they are large, depends what scale you want. LINK – 

Also, Rymans (UK) sell that stuff that looks like a bandage that has been coated with plaster. You briefly soak a length of it and then apply it to whatever form / shale you have created and it dries hard. It does have an open weave, so when dry, rub some pollyfilla type stuff into it. It could then be PVA’d and dry fine sand applied.

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

I wish I’d known about the Rymans thing a couple of days ago when I was slapping a PVA soaked crepe bandage on my sandstorm model, lol.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I wish I’d known about the Rymans thing a couple of days ago when I was slapping a PVA soaked crepe bandage on my sandstorm model, lol.

Plaster of Paris bandage/sheet used to be the go to landscaping material in the model railway world. Modrock was my preferred brand, but there’s a lot of choice

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plaster+of+paris+bandage&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=Q_vnVeXTB4St7gbr0LHoDw

It’s quite light, but a bit fragile unless it’s laid over solid formers

Mike
    Keymaster

I prefer Modroc too.

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

Thanks!

Schlesien
    Participant

Here is how I made mine for 10mm scale: Wargame Sand Dunes blog link

Angel Barracks

oooh, how did you shape them, by hand or with some sort of tool?

Schlesien
    Participant

I just used a popsicle stick to shape them.  Maybe used my finger to smooth out some spots.

Ruarigh
    Participant

Try a sand table. You can sculpt it to any terrain form you want and then reshape it for the next game. A friend built one and coloured all the sand green for his ACW gaming. It looked great. I don’t know the situation now, but they used to be the table of choice down for the British Army, and if that’s not a recommendation, I don’t know what is. Here’s an article about a portable sand table that might whet your appetite:

http://www.oocities.org/glasgowphoenix/sand-table.html

If you have cats, ignore this suggestion!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Ruarigh.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    https://roderickdale.co.uk/

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.