Home Forums General General Sandhurst Game of Op Sealion Video

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Sealion has to handicap the British, the Germans have got little chance otherwise.

Even if the RAF was almost destroyed, the Germans are still dependent on good weather for air resupply and ground attack.

The Royal Navy need not commit any capital ships, destroyers and light cruisers from the Home Fleet would have  made mincemeat of landing craft and provided anti-aircraft support, but throw in the Ark Royal and Furious providing air cover and things get even worse for the Gerries.

The landing beaches were mined and boobytrapped – fougasse is a particularly nasty weapon. Anything that did get ashore after all that had to contend with inland static defences and lack of supplies.

And that’s not even considering American game designers anti-British bias 🙂

Take that, Fritz!

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

willz
    Participant

You don’t have a megalomania problem do you<noscript><noscript></noscript></noscript><noscript></noscript>.

Absolutely not. They are just my recent and unplayed purchases. Some are second hand, but new to me. Hoarding comes to mind! I get a kind of pleasure from just owning things, and I suspect that a number of wargamers share that with me. Books you’ll never live long enough to read. Figures that you’ll never get round to painting, basing, and using. Hex and counter games that you’ll never ‘punch’ and play. I also think that there’s a big element of ‘buy it now, or forever regret it’ at play here. The books and boardgames (not so much miniatures – they seem to stick around for decades) that appeal to me are usually small production run items. So if I don’t buy it when it’s new(ish), and at its original price, then I face buying it at an inflated price some years down the line when I discover its existence – as with this Sealion game.

Yes I know that feeling, seeing a game several years after its gone out of production and wishing you had noticed it before (Hold the Line AWI with figures comes to mind) and as you point out then having to pay inflated prices.

Tony S
    Participant

I hear what you’re staying about the attraction of having things.  I think it’s chance to “dream”, to pretend that we’re going to finally play that game we’ve always wanted to, or paint that army.   A harmless little fantasy really, except for our finances and storage space I suppose.  Possibly marital stress…

Although it’s odd.  Almost two years ago, there was a once-in-a-century storm (as my insurance company described it) and my basement flooded.  I actually had a sump pump, but the water was coming in faster than it could keep up.

Anyways, I lost a lot of my hex games, and a lot of miniature rules. And books.  Basically everything on the bottom shelves.

But as I said, it’s odd.  I thought I’d be crushed at losing so many classic SPI games, or so many rules.  I got the insurance money, but even so – I didn’t feel like replacing any of the hex games.  Perhaps because I’m more a miniatures gamer now, as opposed to when I was a teen.  But then I only replaced a couple of rules that I actually play.

I think honestly I was ok with missing them, since I knew in my heart of hearts it was just a fantasy that I’d ever play them, so it was no real loss.

deephorse
    Participant

I hear what you’re staying about the attraction of having things. I think it’s chance to “dream”, to pretend that we’re going to finally play that game we’ve always wanted to, or paint that army. A harmless little fantasy really, except for our finances and storage space I suppose. Possibly marital stress….

Ah, yes, marital stress.  Anything I buy is greeted with a complaint.  Anything she buys has to be greeted with approval!

I’m sorry to hear of your flooding losses.  I’m not at all sure how I’d react to, say, a fire or a burglary that affected my ‘things’.  You’re correct to say that it’s a dream that one day I will break out my mint and unpunched copy of ‘La Bataille de la Moscowa’ (I’m not sure which edition it is, but the counters are the most beautiful I’ve ever seen) and actually play it.  But for as long as I have it, that possibility continues to exist.  I’m also very good at fooling myself!

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.