Home Forums Ancients Scenarios for FoG

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Deleted User

A confession: I use the Field of Glory system for my ancient & renaissance gaming.
    I am not a competition gamer (NOT said in a pejorative sense: just a statement) but realise the rules lean towards this. Hence, my gaming has used point-balanced armies in games where the point is to break your opponent. My pals & I have had many challenging & entertaining games using this system, in the manner it was designed to be gamed.

All good fun & I enjoy the tactical planning inherent in the game.

However, I do wonder if there is a source of scenarios suitable for the rules? The rest of my gaming (Horse & Musket & Colonial) has a narrative structure that comes with using scenarios.
    I do realise I could write a scenario for FoG & the Punic Wars but if there’s something out there, why not use it?

Is there?

donald

Mark Ketteman
    Participant

If you google ” ‘name of battle’ scenario ” you will turn up quite a few. For example for Trebbia you get scenarios for  command and colours, junior general,  Impetus, and others. Not FoG (although there may be one I didn’t dig too deep) but pretty easy to convert. Also look at James Roach’s blog ( http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Punic%20Wars%20Project ) for lots of inspiration.

Mark

Deleted User

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m clearly going to have to do some work on this.

My thought at the moment is choose some Punic War battle (I’ll use your suggestion) – possibly one from Spain – & twist it to fit our needs. This will mainly be in the area of what forces we’re fielding but might include FoG devices such as ambush & flank march etc.

If anyone’s interested, I’ll get back to you with the details when I’ve worked something out.

donald

Steve Burt
    Participant

It’s easy enough to adapt scenarios from other rule systems.

For instance, the Peter Sides ‘Ancient historical battle’ books have lots and lots of scenarios for DBA.

If instead of DBA elements you use FoG battle groups you can translate those pretty directly – use the FoG army lists as a guide.

I’ve refought Plataea, Issos, Sambre, and Carrhae using FoG and all worked fine as games (all were played using 28mm figures on a 6×4 table)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.