Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Schemes

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Thuseld Thuseld 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I am usually pretty good about knowing the scheme in ill be painting a force is almost as soon as I’ve seen it.  For some reason my hi-tech Federation troops have been giving me fits.  I really want a scheme that looks sci-fi without looking bad.  And it would need to be something that would look good on both vehicles and infantry as these models are going to be not only gaming minis, but display models for when I go to conventions as well as on the website.  Now, I am aiming at the 15mm line, but I didn’ want to waste a lot of paint and time by trialing with the airbrush.  So instead I did a little MSpaint at work on day when I had a second.  I had already decided on the layout being a base color and a big colored asymetrical oval covering most of the top, with some sort of border in between.  Here are the color combinations I put down:

Schemes

Lots of good choices IMO.l, and I had a hard time picking one.  So, I grabbed a 6mm Puma on a day I had food poisoning and put a brush on it using the first scheme.  Not my best work…

Scheme 1

There are things I like about the dunkle base, but it also sort of looks like a pimple to me… for the infantry they would have the same base color with whit helmets and shoulder pads with a red stripe on the outside edges of the pads.  I may try one of the other schemes later.

Which color scheme do y’all prefer?

edit: crud, why is it rotated?!?!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing the infantry.

I like white vehicles, they show so much detail.

Evil Dave
    Evil Dave
    Participant

That’s a really neat idea for a scheme. I’d be loathe to paint a force like that though unless I had a means of making that oval easily each time.

The colors you chose work, if you wanted more contrast I’d say replace the red with a reddish purple, or the yellow with a olive green. The other splotch that I think looks good is the third down in the left column.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Evil Dave Evil Dave.
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thanks guys.  I’m thinking that the oval will be asymmetric, so it will dip “over the side” more on one side, making it easier to not have to worry about making all of the vehicles exactly the same.  The stripe will also be thicker in some areas for the same reason. I might even go so far as to have the lead vehicle in a unit have the oval centered, and then the other 2 have it dip to the left and right respectively, marking their position on which flank for maneuvers. (or something like that…)  the temptation to fight will be to not do odd shapes and just stick with the oval!

I just hope they don’t end up looking like pimples…

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

The other splotch that I think looks good is the third down in the left column.

Ya, I like that one too.  And the one above it.  And the one to the right of it… too many good choices!!!

Evil Dave
    Evil Dave
    Participant

Thinking about it a bit more, I think you could do them with some putty. Put down the center color, cover it with putty, put down the line color, pull up the putty and put more down to cover the line, then put down the outside color. Might have to try that with the stuff I got from you last summer.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I think you could do them with some putty

Might give that a try.  I also have some Tamiya thin masking tape that i might also give a try.  Supposedly you can make tight curves with it without there being bubbling or lift.  We will see…

Evil Dave
    Evil Dave
    Participant

Saw this:

Looks like a useful thing to have in the toolbox if you’re airbrushing.

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

I really like the other two on the top row.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.