Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Schleswig-Holstein farm house

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Schleswig-Holstein farm house

Scratch built from lollypop sticks and foam, rivits in the timber is plastic putty, roof is a bathroom carpet, other parts are cardboard, pretty happy with it but i think i could do the second one alot better, learn alot from the creation and figured out how to do things alot quicker.

[/url]
    photoupload[/url]

[/url]
    adult picture hosting[/url]

[/url]
    upload a gif[/url]

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

Keymaster

Crikey that is well good.

Participant

It looks great.  The way you have brought out the wood grain on the timber is especially good.

Participant

Dear Malc

That’s a tremendous job!. Excellent! I love the idea of the old bathroom rug as thatch!  That’s brilliant, and I am always in envy of the people who think of these things before I do!  I try and use at hand and discarded materials in the hobby whenever I can.  Of course now I have to look for batroom carpet in that weave and nap to use! Thanks VERY much for the tip!  Quite ingenious!

What scale is it made for?

As a thanks, here’s my method for replacing broken swords from mounted figures. I use plastic milk cartons. These are made of polyethelene and if you cut out the large white faces you get fairly flat sheets.  These can be cut with a box cutter, utility knife or, perhaps best, a “wood chopper” from Evergreen.  This is a company catering to model railroad interests.  Anyway, the stuff is cheap so you can afford a lot of mistakes.  Once you have the blanks, I “knot” the hand of  the figure with some solder and then drill a hole through t. I insert the plastic strip into the hole and secure with two part epoxy. The plastic is very very durable, and long lasting and will be quite flexible. It takes paint well, and will last a long time.  I tried using precision cut styrene strips from Evergreen, but Styrene is a bit brittle and will “fatigue” after a while and break.  That’s when I went to the milk bottle plastic. It’s cheap (after you drink the milk it’s recyclable) and you can get enough for a vast horde of troops from a single bottle.

You also might want to try that material if you want to do bent and curved shapes for modeling.  I needed for one of my regiments a musician with a panoply of ‘gongs” (it was a whimsical figure). Finding dished thin shapes in the right scale is very hard. What I did was take a larger circle of the material and warm it in very hot water  or even a toaster, then place it on top of a curved end of broomstick and pressed it down using an ordinary screw cap jar top till it had the desired shape. (If you’re a purist you can make a matching male and female die) and then cut to shape.

Good luck and plaudits and compliments again on your creation!

Otto

Participant

Some great tips Otto mate, the bathroom carpet is on a sponge foam, easy to find, you can peel the carpet off the foam so its pretty thin but with a perfect pile which is neat, i then used 50% water/PVA and soak it, get a knife and use it to lift the piles lines up, once everything is dry, hit it with PVA before the paintjob, i did this as it was on the buildings

carpet on

[/url]
    gifs upload[/url]

The knife effect

[/url]
    image upload free[/url]

Participant

I must just echo what everybody else said: especially love the thatch, very clever.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

That is a very, very nice scratch built building.

Participant

Very good!

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

dear Malc

It’s me again. I just can’t get enough of what you’ve done. I can see things  like the spikes and how you’ve treated the wood and foam that I’m going to copy. Most of all the piece has real “style.” That’s what sets it apart.  I’m a mediocre painter but a good modeler and I love to lavish detail on my terrain.

Kudos and compliments again.

Otto

Participant

Absolutely top-notch Malc, really clever use of materials.

Participant

Again thanks guys, Otto, these are lollypop sticks, i cut the rounded ends off with the sharp bit on the plyers, wood grain can be created with a small wire brush,get a tube of plastic putty and create a blob on a smooth surface, use a cocktail stick to dip and place onto the timber, rivits are created

Use the pva and 75% water miX, with a touch of black acrylic, i mixed it up in a small container, this is how i created the weathering, you cover all the timber with this first,the first part of painting the building is the timber, is it alot more simple to get the wood grain effect.Colour paint first with Burnt unber mixed with a touch of black to get the dark brown you need, highlight with Beige brown, then dry brush with desert yellow.

Finish off with a touch of weathering which you need to create a small pool on a smooth top, that way you can get the right amount onto the brush,put it around the rivits and touches here and there, once you have painted the walls, touch up the edges of the timber with weathering again to bring it out.

I have been told a number of times about my method on wood grains on other built stuff, well thats how i do it, i am proberly like you i make it up as i go along i never draw a plan or anything like that, i mean i painted everything first then the roof only because i did’nt have a clue what i was going to use.The layers i created i don’t know if anybody has used this method before, i just got it in my head at the time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.