Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Sci-Fi Inspirations

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Count Belisarius Count Belisarius 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

What fires up your sci-fi love and gets you sci-high?

Films, Video Games, Books etc.
    What do you like and what do you think is ‘required’?

Here are some of my favourite sci-fi films:

Aliens
    Bladerunner
    Predator
    Moon
    Ghosts of Mars
    Dune
    Serenity
    Terminator
    28 days Later
    Resident Evil
    Pitch Black
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Riddick
    Matrix
    District 9
    I am Legend
    The Thing
    Dog Soldiers
    Reign of Fire
    Galaxy Quest
    Starship Troopers
    Fifth Element
    Tremors
    Battle Los Angeles
    Equilibrium
    Mad Max
    The Postman

Anonymous

Actually it is great miniatures in the sizes/scales I use found on forums and online searches.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Your film list is spot on. For some books, I’ll add Forever War / Forever Peace. Not only two of my favourite books of all time, but fantastic military scifi and it’s a refreshing change of pace that the author isn’t obnoxiously gung ho about war.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

MrHarold
    MrHarold
    Participant

Have you guys read the new Terms of Enlistment series? Really good military sci-fi.

ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi
    http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

Mick Sayce
    Mick Sayce
    Participant

Personally, I would take out The Thing from your list. Saw it with Kurt Russell when it first came out and thought the effects were so good that they scared the bejasus out of me. Never seen it since.

But what about Star Wars?

Apart from that your list says it all.

Inspirational literature:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. One of my all time favourites. Gutted when it fell apart.

The Lensmen Series. I never tired of his repetitious use of the phrase ‘coruscating incandescence’  throughout the seven books. Doc Smith hit all the right notes for a youngling. Bit dated now, though.

Robert Heinlein did some good stuff as well.

Comical aside: In the film Reign of Fire, it’s mentioned that the survivors from London made their way to the mountains of Norfolk. When it came out a representative from the Norfolk Tourist Board was interviewed on the telly box. He was asked about that and he said that he had lived in Norfolk all his life but so far, had never seen a mountain in the county. However, if tourists wanted to try their luck at finding one they were very welcome.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Mick Sayce Mick Sayce.

Blog at : http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

Tassie Wargamer
    Participant

While all the films you listed AB have had quite a strong influence on my interest in sci.fi., the greatest influences on me were (and still are) television serials like Dr Who, Blake’s Seven or Battlestar Galactica.

My Blog: http://wargamespavilion.wordpress.com/

Neil Egerton
    Participant

Agree these are a nice series of books. Looking forward to next in series

venusboys3
    venusboys3
    Participant

Heavy Metal was probably the biggest influence on my ideas and inspirations. Moebius and Bilal and Druillet… those guys really took me places, kinda made up for not reading many superhero comics.

Etranger
    Participant

Hmmmm, interesting topic AB.  Lots of influences for me, and probably ones that show my age.

Films: Alien/Aliens, Bladerunner, Serenity (haven’t seen the series), 2001, Star Wars (the original three films),  Aeon Flux, Metropolis, Solaris, The Matrix (1st movie), The Andromeda Strain,  Westworld,  Capricorn One,  Brazil, Robocop, Galaxy Quest, Total Recall, Men in Black trilogy, Hellboy.

TV series: Dr Who, Blake’s Seven, Buck Rogers, Quatermass, X-Files, Quark, Hitchhikers Guide, Star Trek (mostly the original series), Space 1999, Thunderbirds (Are Go!).

Authors:Ian Banks, William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Brian Stableford, Arthur C Clarke, Brian Aldiss, Michael Moorcock, Issac Asimov.

Others: Traveller, the Apollo moonshots, Paranoia (the RPG, not the condition!).

Lots of dystopia and complicated characters in that little list!

Cosmotiger
    Cosmotiger
    Participant

Starship Troopers by Heinlein (and the Roughnecks TV series loosely based on the book and movie)

Macross/Robotech

Mobile Suit Gundam

Aliens

I don’t really play the HALO videogames, but the design and overall look is an influence

religon
    religon
    Participant

Most of the usual stuff shared by others. Love of the first three Star Wars movies still motivates my gaming interests. I still like the old 80’s and 90’s BattleTech novels. I actually came across them from the game. The only franchises I might work into a game would be Star Trek (Original), The Thing or Dr. Who (recent Doc’s). I would also slip an Alf figure into a game like I recently saw.

I was also motivated by an obscure book “Criswell Predicts From Now to the Year 2000.” I wrote an RPG game in the early 90’s that was played as my buddies traveling in time to thwart agents of Criswell…who were trying to insure his predictions came true. If I could find regular looking unarmed figures in spandex unitards, I might game it again for fun.

Time Travel Unitard

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement! --Lt. Aldo Raine

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Hmmmm, interesting topic AB. Lots of influences for me,…… Serenity (haven’t seen the series)

For shame!

It has a good mix of emotions and humour.
    Definitely should see sir.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

A lot of anime can be good inspiration too, though military stuff is a bit rarer (unless it involves robots somehow).

For urban and cyberpunk gun battles, the Ghost in the Shell movies and show are phenomenal and very clever.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Drang
    Drang
    Participant

The “hard” sci fi trio: Haldeman (Forever War and Forever Peace), Heinlein (Starship Troopers), and Drake (Hammers Slammers).

From a purely narrative perspective, Dan Abnet’s Eisenhorn, Ravenor and Pariah. I find myself torn between hard and soft sci fi when it comes to wargaming. On one hand, I love the sheer opportunity soft/Gothic sci fi offers; daemons, Necrontyr, acro-flagellants, religious zealotry, et cetera. On the other hand, I really want the basics of the game to work as according to some semblance of logic; bullets hurt, heavy weapons tend to hurt all the more, troops to not stand by gormlessly while being charged by foot infantry, etc.

That said, I really want a game some time that isn’t 40K. Because the 40K rules actually hurt my brain to play.

The Nefarious Fu Manchu....In SPAAAACE

venusboys3
    venusboys3
    Participant

That ‘Criswell Predicts’ game sounds loads of fun… though probably more as an RPG for me… that way I get to do lots of goofy voices and loony monologues like, “Remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect <i>you</i> in the future!”

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I like the lists and have read most of the older fiction.  I could never get into 40K as the fluff turned me off.

kid bananas
    Participant

I find inspiration in the background fluff and stories from a number of well written games as well as well done blogs and web sites. Angel Barracks, Dropship Horizons, Lead Adventures, and Matakishi’s Tea House are but some examples. Heavy Gear, Gruntz, Battletech, Tomorrow’s War and even 40K are some games that have fluff/stories that I find inspiration in.

Count Belisarius
    Count Belisarius
    Participant

Have you guys read the new Terms of Enlistment series? Really good military sci-fi.

Thanks for the heads up. Just starting the second book. Enjoyed first.

Andy

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.