Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Sci Fi participation game idea two:War Rocket Ajax

Tagged: 

This topic contains 24 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Devon Start Devon Start 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

Having just purchased the Hawkmen and Flash on rocket cycle from cold wars miniatures, i am keen on using them in a game.  Clearly the game that springs to mind is Flash and Vultan attacking War Rocket Ajax!

Since I have a little self control I do NOT own the 1300$ model of War Rocket Ajax, as lovely as that is. It also doesnt have an interior, which i think i will want in mine model.

The plan would be to build a model of the rockey using a shipping tube for the main body, and from there using foamcore, blue foam and custom 3d printed parts build a model of the rocket. Crew it wing Mongo Naval Forces and get it painted.
    however i was also thinking about making a cool light up base. The clouds in the 1980 flash gordon movie were so damn cool. I feel its a shame not to include them. Here i would use the clouds to cover and hide the base that would hold up the rocket.   The clouds would have LEDs in them to light up certain areas. Getting the cotton the right colors might be difficult, but i think i can manage that.

For the Hawkmen I would have two figures for each guy, a set flying and set on foot. The flying guys will get a special base as well. Their base will be a CD with the wires for the LED coming through the central hole. The whole cd except the bottom will be covered in the coulds as well and the LEDS lit up. This wil then be placed on top of a clear plastic cylinder to be a flying base. I think this will work really well and look really freaking cool

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That all sounds really cool!  And not just cool, but doable.  The clear cylinders for flight stands, are you thinking acrylic tubes?  That part might get pricey.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

Sure feels like its doable. im excited about this idea

yeah i was thinking some basic tubes in acrylic.. Ahh yes the price would normally be expensive and might still be, but i work in the display industry, and i know a guy who makes custom acrylic, he may have off cuts or something for me.

if not i might be able to find something suitable on amazon or ebay, a guy at my local club uses these acrylic cylinders he got from a lighting guy. they are supposed to cover the lamp area and they are big..too big for my use, but we use them at teh club to roll dice in

Way out of my price range,  but I’d love to see what you do with this. Please post regular updates!

BTW, I’ve wondered How Brian Blessed managed to get off the ground, considering his, er, “girth”.  The original Vultan looks as if he’d have the same problem:

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

BTW, I’ve wondered How Brian Blessed managed to get off the ground, considering his, er, “girth”.

He shouts at the ground until he achieves take-off.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Lolz

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

yeah vultan has always been portrayed as a fat bastard.. though really i think they missed the chance and should have had him play prince thun.. who is often depicted in the comics as an orange brian blessed! lol. although the idea of sci fi space zulus is really cool too!

as for the price range.. i have no children, this makes this easier.. but you know, i have no children and thats sort of sad really.. i guess, i dont know.

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

BTW, I’ve wondered How Brian Blessed managed to get off the ground, considering his, er, “girth”.

indeed!

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

best part is when he hits the guy on the head like in the Football Fight sequence. I will be hiding my bluetooth speaker in the clouds i make to play the music. I Have the sound track. i do something similar in my gunga din game and play the opening music. sets the mood. Now i have to work on silly hats for people to wear

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

BWAHAHAHA INDEED!!

Fixed it for you

Anyway, it does sound like an awe-inspiring project. Too ambitious for my blood, but I’d love to see it done.

Oh, and this is the first I’ve heard of Cold War Miniatures and their Flash Gordon range. Brilliant-looking figures. Must resist. Already have Hydra Miniatures stuff. Must stop myself from thinking that they would probably mix well. Must… resist… **agonised croaking sounds**

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

i am hoping the cold war stuff is size compatible with the stuff from hydra. i really like thei imperials they have. Plus thier ming character(cold war as yet doesnt have one) but i really like the look of the cold wars figs, especially the jet bike version of flash.. and the really simple rather toy soldier look of mings guards.  the cold war figs are billed as 32mm so im figuring they are the size of newer warhammer figures.  I got a couple hydra figs too, i think their flash and ming, to test out the size. I would happily paint up the flash and ming from anyone really. Like conan its a character i have stand to have a few versions of

I too am interested in compatibility with Hydra. Just out of curiosity, you see.

PS: I think I was misquoted up there somewhere. . .

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

I too am interested in compatibility with Hydra. Just out of curiosity, you see. PS: I think I was misquoted up there somewhere. . .

ill keep you posted.. strictly for scientific reasons of course 🙂
    the hydra stuff showed up already, being that its from the US and i am in the US this is no surprise.. That is was in the US was a surprise and i have no idea why i thought it was a UK company.

the hydra guys are clearly bigger than my normal 28s so i am pretty confident that they will be the same size.

Some side by side pics wouldn’t be out of order (he hinted slyly ).

If you haven’t been following my serials thread*, there’s another “flying” race: the Bat Men of Joba, from “Darkest Africa”, 1936. You can sample them starting at about 5:30 here:

Might be too early for your tastes, but I like ’em. I wonder if anyone does them?

*Shameless plug.

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

i enjoy watching the old serials. I have a membership to a website called Fandor, its like netflix only for really wierd stuff and they have a ton of serials.
    obviously i have the flash gordon serials too. at least a series, i think there were ratehr a lot of those. When i was younger in the  late 70s and early 80s i would watch dr who and flash gordon serials on PBS(americas public broadcast station) tom baker who followed by old serials? Yes! Please!

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

those guys are pretty much hawkmen! lol

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

Some size comparisons.   The Hydra Miniatures have the flat integral bases, the Cold War Miniatures have the Slotta Base.

They look pretty compatible EXCEPT hydras flash gordon is a bit too tall, at least if he stood up. (maybe)

I have to see how these scale up against the now out of print Dick Garrison line and the Pinnacle miniatures, which were sculpted by a fan favorite David Soderquist of Bronze Age Miniatures. The pinnacle figs are also en route even if i dont use them, painting them will be a blast!

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I wasn’t aware Pinnacle made miniatures, and for genres I’m highly interested in to boot. Soderquist is a favourite sculptor of mine as well, although something about his sculpting style usually makes me want to not mix it with figures from other sculptors. Still, those Flash Gordon miniatures from Pinnacle look compatible enough in terms of style, and I’ve never known Soderquist to sculpt “small” miniatures in the nominal scales he works in.

Thanks for the comparison shots. Much appreciated.

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

I think this song will be the one i use for the game rather than the one every one knows. this is the song that plays during the battle anyway

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

I wasn’t aware Pinnacle made miniatures, and for genres I’m highly interested in to boot. Soderquist is a favourite sculptor of mine as well, although something about his sculpting style usually makes me want to not mix it with figures from other sculptors. Still, those Flash Gordon miniatures from Pinnacle look compatible enough in terms of style, and I’ve never known Soderquist to sculpt “small” miniatures in the nominal scales he works in. Thanks for the comparison shots. Much appreciated.

Totally. I love bronze age.. i have a lot of the original john carter figs he did. I have to get some of the new ones hes done. I also have a bunch of his conan figures(in case the profile pic didnt give it away im a fan of conan) his figs are like bob murch at pulp figures.. they all go together really one within the set but dont always match with other peoples figs outside the set. and i love both artists work!

Bronze age stuff tends to be a little tall too, but thats fine, i think its going to scale well with the other figs. Either way for the game im in for the cold wars stuff, im going to go with those. Mostly because they have the rocket cycle and thats a feature of the battle

The other stuff i am getting becuase i really like painting and honestly having a few different versions of flash gordon on the shelf isnt a problem for me.
    I also have already the one that rattrap productions put out years ago, he is slender more like Paroom station or old ral parthas.   And i also have the Dick garrison “flash and vultan” and the crooked dice sam j jones flash.. but he is dressed in earth clothes, so if i were to do the football fight scene he would be perfect!  but not for much else

Thanks for the comparison pics, Devon.  They do look broadly compatible, with some stand adjustments.

As for music, well, I ‘d be tempted to try to work this in:

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

lol i have to keep it flash gordon canon!

BTW — anyone do an Astroboy figure?

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

Not that i am aware.. have you ever seen the venture brothers? they have an interesting take on astroboy.. because of course they do

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.