Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Scotia Grendel questions

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Alright, first of all I am principally blaming Angel  Barracks and Sayiner for this, but you guys have about pulled me off of a fictitious Cold War idea, and into Sci-Fi.  Not quite, but pretty close.  6mm, of course.

So these look pretty tasty from Scotia Grendel, but they seem a lot dearer than the regular infantry and I’m just wondering how big they are.  If they are just big bulky EVA suits, that is perfect.  If they are huge Space Marine inside a Space Marine walker combat leviathan things, meh.

http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=217_219_24_193_199&products_id=3866

So has anyone seen them in lead, and what are your thoughts?  Also, how much do ‘Power Armoured Troopers’ differ in appearance from ‘Combat Power Armoured Troopers’,  if anyone knows?

Sorry to bug people here but the company didn’t answer.

TIA

Wm

Spectator

Who the hell knows. These are the same regurgitated tropes that have been stinking up the joint since (at least) the early 70s Japanese mecha operas. Pick whatever models you like and assign whatever values you think will work/be fun.

Not quite, but pretty close. 6mm, of course.

I must try harder then.

Also, how much do ‘Power Armoured Troopers’ differ in appearance from ‘Combat Power Armoured Troopers’, if anyone knows?

Who the hell knows. These are the same regurgitated tropes that have been stinking up the joint since (at least) the early 70s Japanese mecha operas. Pick whatever models you like and assign whatever values you think will work/be fun.

That.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that will say something about sci-FI is not realistic.
    Really, fiction isn’t real?

I am sure I have seen images of those next to other figures but can’t think right now.

Give me a while!

Participant

Here are pics from a Polish stockist:

http://battle-models.com/Power-Armoured-Troopers-kpl-25-szt-zolnierze-ciezka-piechota-SF,p,4067

http://battle-models.com/Power-Armoured-Troopers-kpl-20-szt-zolnierze-ciezka-piechota-SF,p,4071

http://battle-models.com/Combat-Powered-Armour-Trooper-1-szt,p,4064

http://battle-models.com/Combat-Powered-Armour-Heavy-Weapon-Trooper-1-szt,p,4065

Don’t think I’ve any of the Combat PA guys, but they’ve the same pricing as the “Insectoid Aliens”, which I do have. Those are about 1/3 higher than the ordinary PA figures and at least twice as bulky.

Participant

Angel Barracks and Sayiner definitely have a lot to answer for. They played a hand in my transition.

Participant

‘Big bulky EVA suits’…….have you seen these?

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/Infantry/SF300-5003.html

More choices…….just what you didn’t ask for!

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Participant

Though I don’t own any now, I once did, and recall the Scotia models being interesting and different from the typical PA style. There is a distinct difference between the Light and Heavy PA suits, and they’re not just “space marines.” I think in style they compare better to Heinlein’s Starship Troopers – tall dudes with dome-like helmets. However, I also remember the castings being less than stellar and a number of the strips being malformed, so if that were to occur you’d have to be prepared to take isue with it and make sure the manufacturer followed through. I have no reason to doubt that they would, but still it’s a potential hassle.

Personally, my go-to Powered Armor is Plasmablast or GZG. GZG is less dynamic-looking but has more variety of weapons, and stands suitably taller than the typical 6mm groupings, averaging about 9-10mm high, and with consistently clean lines and quality castings.

At the moment I’m doing a sci-fi Sengoku Jidai group with “rigs” from Onslaught Miniatures, which are a different take on the genre – more like one-man light mechs than powered suits. They’re supposed to be Tau clones and are pricier but the casts are consistenty good, diverse and dynamic. Food for thought, anyway

Participant

Thanks, I will give that a lot of thought, of course.

Participant

Rules Junkie Jim, thank you very much!  That helps a lot, and they look good to me.  Much obliged.

Participant

Angel Barracks and Sayiner definitely have a lot to answer for. They played a hand in my transition.

Yeah, I’m trying to claim that the fight is still on, but in my heart of hearts I know the M56 Scorpions, IS IIIs, and even the saucy AMX-13s are not enough to tilt this in their favor.  Too much mix and match goodness in the Sci-Fi.

Participant

‘Big bulky EVA suits’…….have you seen these? http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/Infantry/SF300-5003.html More choices…….just what you didn’t ask for!

Heh, yes.  Thanks for that… (Those do look good!)

Participant

Mr. Average, that is very helpful.  For some reason I had in mind that Scotia models were sub par, and perhaps it is due to casting issues, or just some internet bellyaching back in the day.  The models I’ve seen in the photos recently however are just fine, and have a retro look to them that clinches the deal, now that I know they are not towering monsters.

Participant

Not quite, but pretty close. 6mm, of course.

I must try harder then.

It’s over, I think.  There is just so much more that can be done with sci-fi.  It’s like that last turn of the game, when the unit holding the objective is decimated and shaken, and about to be charged by that fresh reserve unit.  It is mathematically possible to hold, but…

Participant

I’ll be very interested to hear your opinions on Scotia models as they currently stand. My experience is out of date and I might consider them again if their casting is good.

Participant

I have a bunch of Scotia’s 6mm sci fi infantry non of the power suits though and the casting is fine on mine,  size -wise they are very similar to CinC’s stuff which are a little smaller and slimmer than Angel Barracks stuff for eg,

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

which are a little smaller and slimmer than Angel Barracks stuff for eg,

So closer to 6mm then!

Participant

If they are just big bulky EVA suits, that is perfect.

Well the Combat PA is perfect then. Much bulkier than the standard Scotia PA but not as large as the Insectoids. Casting wise, usually the cleanest of the lot, and most of Scotias stuff tends to be clean if sometimes off-key.

Participant

“if their casting is good.”

Can’t speak for the 6mm stuff, but the 28s I bought from them last year were good.

Participant

Their 6mm WW2 stuff is good except for the infantry, weak ankles, incomplete casts on the strips, some figures only had feet, some only the lower legs, some only cast to the waist, others with missing arms. I got about 25 figures out of each pack of 50.

hope this helps

Mike

"This lighthouse is under attack, and by morning we may all be dead!" The 4th Doctor - Horror of Fang Rock

Participant

I have these figures they are the same size as Kalistra Vikings 10mm. Never able to find a ruler

when you need one 20th of an inch sorry only ruler I could find.

regards

sean

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.