Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Scratchbuilt 1/2400th Ironclads Painted

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I’ve painted up four of the ACW river ironclads that I made a few days ago including my favourite, the CSS Arkansas:

More photos on the blog as usual:

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.com/2020/08/12400th-scratchbuilt-ironclads-painted.html

Absolutely superb. I love them. Your hard work has really paid off. Well done. I look forward to seeing them in action.

Gun Dog Miniature Painting Services
    https://m.facebook.com/gundogminiatures/
    Sniffing out unpainted armies!

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Thanks

I’m also making a prototype section of modular river to try them out on, so a game isn’t too far away.

McKinstry
    Participant

I really like the muddy river look. From what I’ve read and seen, the reddish brown water is pretty much spot on for that part of the country.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Thanks.

I wasn’t sure about it but I chose it because it is a good contrast with the models, which tend to be a bit bland. It’s also near enough raw umber, so I can easily get hold of some cheap artist acrylic to paint the river.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I’m also thinking of using the river terrain for Vietnam, so it doubles up as the Mekong as well as the Mississippi ?

McKinstry
    Participant

FWIW – My experience with the Mekong is that it was more of a greenish-brown at other than the peak monsoon period but my experience was farther upstream as I never served in the Delta. It and the Mississippi do look similar at least in that stretch from Memphis through New Orleans.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

kyoteblue
    Participant

They look great!

deephorse
    Participant

Great work there.  I wondered what colour to paint my gunboat bases and finally decided on an unrealistic blue!  For one thing it matches the blue cloth that I play these games on.  A second reason is that it makes the boats stand out more on the tabletop.  Since most of the gunboats are a variation of black/brown/rust in colour, they tend to disappear on an accurately painted base and table cloth.  Those are my excuses and I’m sticking to them!

Trust science, not the scientists.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I was thinking of doing some Dinassualt actions from the French Indochina War or Vietnam riverine, using 1/600th scale models?

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Great work there. I wondered what colour to paint my gunboat bases and finally decided on an unrealistic blue! For one thing it matches the blue cloth that I play these games on. A second reason is that it makes the boats stand out more on the tabletop. Since most of the gunboats are a variation of black/brown/rust in colour, they tend to disappear on an accurately painted base and table cloth. Those are my excuses and I’m sticking to them!

Yep, it’s a bit of a leap of faith to not paint them blue, but in this scale I think it works.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.