Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Sculpting Jungle terrain bases for the Maya

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

For upcoming gaming conventions – some new jungle terrain for Feudal Patrol games in Mesoamerica – especially the Maya.

Sculpting Jungle Bases for the Maya

Mark A. Morin

Participant

The wash and varnish treatment looks like they killed the toy ‘shine’ well. Any fear of the wash peeling off when the fronds bend?

Participant

Nice job Mark.  The palms really give a coastal feeling that I get along the “Riviera Maya”.  When I started my Vietnam projects I used the sort of trees you find in the jungles there and it seemed to confuse players as most people seem to associate palms with jungle, regardless of where that jungle is located or what it really contains!  So, palms work, plus they are much easier to maneuver minis around than full canopy types.

Looking forwards to reading some AARs of your games!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Looking good Mark.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

The wash and varnish treatment looks like they killed the toy ‘shine’ well. Any fear of the wash peeling off when the fronds bend?

I think not – so far the wash is adhering well.  I think washing them in soap and water prior to applying a hobby wash made that difference.

Mark A. Morin

Participant

Nice job Mark. The palms really give a coastal feeling that I get along the “Riviera Maya”. When I started my Vietnam projects I used the sort of trees you find in the jungles there and it seemed to confuse players as most people seem to associate palms with jungle, regardless of where that jungle is located or what it really contains! So, palms work, plus they are much easier to maneuver minis around than full canopy types. Looking forwards to reading some AARs of your games!

Thank you.  As it’s a battle on the Yucatan coast they do work, and I take your point on Vietnam.  I am going to write an AAR on my games at TotalCon37 shortly.

Mark A. Morin

Participant

Looking good Mark.

Cheers OB!

Mark A. Morin

Participant

Mark, I can remember when you were just starting your Aztec forces, and I deviously suggested you look into collecting the Maya next. You thought against it at the time, but it’s good to see you have changed your mind.

Unfortunately, Outpost Wargames Services have shut down. They were a good source for Mayan troops, and they also made Inca figures to supplement the fine Foundry sculpts.

Oh dear, I mentioned the Inca, didn’t I? I’m doing it again.

Well at least the same Conquistador forces can be used against all three. Looking forward to your work.

Ralph

Participant

Mark, I can remember when you were just starting your Aztec forces, and I deviously suggested you look into collecting the Maya next. You thought against it at the time, but it’s good to see you have changed your mind. Unfortunately, Outpost Wargames Services have shut down. They were a good source for Mayan troops, and they also made Inca figures to supplement the fine Foundry sculpts. Oh dear, I mentioned the Inca, didn’t I? I’m doing it again. Well at least the same Conquistador forces can be used against all three. Looking forward to your work. Ralph

Thanks Bowman as I was unaware that Outpost shut down.  I did get Gringo 40’s Maya that you can see here:  http://markamorin.com/2023/03/13/cold-wars-2023-from-my-view-lots-of-photos/ at last Cold Wars.  I do run a Battle of Centla game that has become popular – though it’s the only Maya game I run currently.  Inca?  nah, that’s not a period I find game-worthy as it’s pretty much a murder fest on multiple levels.  I have been dedicating my efforts to Wars of Ozz for a bit – and until that gets done, I’m putting developing more Mesoamerican games on the back burner

Mark A. Morin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.