Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Sealer or varnish for bases with static grass?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Catullus
    Participant

I have a few miniatures that need varnishing. The bases are flocked with static grass which also needs fixing in place to stop it shedding.

What is the difference between a matt spray varnish and a matt spray sealer? I’ve seen sealer used to fix static grass to terrain tiles but I’m not sure whether it would also double as a varnish for the miniature. Conversely, I don’t know what spraying a miniature with varnish would do to the static grass.

Does anybody have experience of this?

Mike
    Keymaster

The only sealer I have used has been a sort of spray on acrylic, which is great at making static grass hard and durable, but was quite thick and very glossy.
    If it is the same stuff I would not touch miniatures with it.

I have not spray varnished static grass, but I have both used PVA/water/washing up liquid to seal it and also painted on varnish, both of these worked fine.

Not sure that helps though?

Catullus
    Participant

Kind of, Mike. I have a can of PlastiKote sealer here and it doesn’t say whether it is matt or varnish, but it seems to produce a matt finish on static grass when I tried it. You’ve confirmed my feeling that it wouldn’t work for miniatures as a varnish. I’ve tried the PVA mix for sealing too but it seems to flatten the grass – maybe I’m just slapping on too much of it!

I think the only way is to try the varnish and see what it does to the grass…

Mike
    Keymaster

Plastikote sealer was what I had too…
    I would not use that on figures myself.

For PVA, mix roughly equal PVA with water then add a drop of washing up liquid, this helps to break the surface tension when you apply it with a dropper.

Don’t brush it on.

Catullus
    Participant

Ta! Brushing it on is where I’m going wrong. How do you apply it?

Mike
    Keymaster

With the dropper pictured above?

🙂

Catullus
    Participant

Doh! Of course! Sozzard, I was coming down with a cold and wasn’t looking at the pictures…

willz
    Participant

I have used cheap hair spray from Tesco’s (£0.40p) a can as a sealer for static grass, make sure it is dry before you spray. (Also makes the base smell nice).

Catullus
    Participant

Cheers, William! I might give that a go because PlastiKote’s sealer gives me a minging headache. Also, if it works I could use it indoors without the missus complaining…

Silent Invader
    Participant

I also use a non-shine hairspray from ASDA to seal static grass onto terrain pieces. I used to use plastikote sealer but, as above, the smell…..

For minis, I used to brush varnish the static grass but I didn’t like the clumpy effect that resulted. Now I apply the grass after varnishing but onto dilute PVA-type glue. I brush away the loose fibres when dry and haven’t found the need to subsequently seal. NB: I do use a static tool, which probably helps.

jagannath
    Participant

I religiously use Testors Dullcote and i spray that over any mosspads or clumps with no problem, it’s been quite a long time since I’ve used loose static grass though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.