Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Searching for plasticard to create terrain tiles

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi. I am searching for plasticard (2×2 feet) to create terrain tiles. I live in Canada and I don’t know where to buy them? Any idea? I have searched on Amazon.ca but I have not found anything yet.

I am also not sure how thick those plasticards should be.

Thanks for your help!

Keymaster

They will warp…

Some sort of insulation foam would be better:

Maybe online or some sort of DIY / Home Depot type place?

Plus they will be light enough to carefully store on top of each other.

Participant

The problem is that I want to use them for a 2×2 feet tile and I have never seen anything this size.

Keymaster

It is available. The above are often made in 2 x 4 feet sheets or bigger for home insulation.

Participant

You can get precut hexes in dense foam from GC Miniatures in the USA. Might not be ideal for a Canadian but it’s hopefully reasonable because of the free trade agreement. I believe they also do squares premounted to MDF backer boards, which is kind of the gold standard – nine total would give you 2×2.

Participant

You can get precut hexes in dense foam from GC Miniatures in the USA. Might not be ideal for a Canadian but it’s hopefully reasonable because of the free trade agreement. I believe they also do squares premounted to MDF backer boards, which is kind of the gold standard – nine total would give you 2×2.

Thanks but I dont want hexes, just square tiles.

Participant

https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/15-20mm-terrain-block-blank/

Also 20% off this weekend, apparently.

Participant

Talk to local hardware or building supply outlets, ask for 1200×600 3mm hardboard/ MDF and they should cut it to the size you want for free!
    A sale is a sale and the goodwill costs them nothing.

I asked a sheetmetal shop here to sell me some aluminium offcuts for terrain bases, about 20 required approx 200-300mm square and rectangles.

Not only cut them, but champfered the edges and rounded the corners off for me as a good tradesman would. Got near 30 pieces (about 5kg worth) and 20 years later still haven’t used them all!

Only cost $60 which I thought very reasonable for scrap (and their time)!
    -dave

Participant

https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/15-20mm-terrain-block-blank/ Also 20% off this weekend, apparently.

Thanks. It looks interesting but why do they say those tiles are suitable for 15mm and 20mm? I will be using 6mm scale. Is it ok too?

Participant

Talk to local hardware or building supply outlets, ask for 1200×600 3mm hardboard/ MDF and they should cut it to the size you want for free! A sale is a sale and the goodwill costs them nothing. I asked a sheetmetal shop here to sell me some aluminium offcuts for terrain bases, about 20 required approx 200-300mm square and rectangles. Not only cut them, but champfered the edges and rounded the corners off for me as a good tradesman would. Got near 30 pieces (about 5kg worth) and 20 years later still haven’t used them all! Only cost $60 which I thought very reasonable for scrap (and their time)! -dave

Thank you for the tip.

Participant

You may find Black Magic Craft (a YouTuber) a handy source of bits as he is based in Canada.

See https://www.blackmagiccraft.ca/essential-equipment

Participant
    Participant

“…equivalent foam…on this page?”

I believe it would be the pink stuff – that’s what I use, anyway.   “Precise cuts” -if DIY- are a matter of having a good worksurface/straightedge/blade.  All of those can be fulfilled with a tablesaw, but lacking that it can be managed with care by hand.

edit: This looks to be what you’re looking for? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-Panels-Formular-1-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-Rigid-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-PP1/203553730 …so the cutting problem would be solved…dunno how ‘precise’ they are, but…?

“…why do they say those tiles are suitable for 15mm and 20mm?”

If you can find an answer to that -and why similar statements regarding figure size/scale are thick on the ground in advertising/discussion of rules- you will have unlocked the mystery of life!  ; )

Keymaster

Is there the equivalent foam you are suggesting on this page? Something that would be very easy to make precise cuts.

Odd:

However Pink XPS foam as noted will do fine, it is not quite as firm as the blue stuff IIRC but TBH I don’t think it will be of much note.

A very sharp long kitchen knife would do it, or a long enough box cutter.
    Or a hot foam wire cutter thingy.
    Or, the shop may cut them for you?

Participant

https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/15-20mm-terrain-block-blank/ Also 20% off this weekend, apparently.

Thanks. It looks interesting but why do they say those tiles are suitable for 15mm and 20mm? I will be using 6mm scale. Is it ok too?

I think it’s just a sales thing – it’s just blocks of precut foam on an MDF base – I don’t see any reason you can’t use it for any scale you want.

Participant

I think the size guide is due to the capability of the foam tiles being used to create trenches / dug outs for 12/15mm or smaller figures (and with a slightly banked up edges for 20s) but, with the foam being 1/2″ thick, holes down to the MDF will only come up the waist of 20+mm figures and the knees of the larger GW figures esp. with the deep bases they seem to have now!

Nothing to say you could not use these for flat ground or slightly sunken rivers / roads with larger figures but deep holes are not going to be possible – saying this lots of folk are happy with trench systems that sit on the flat ground (e.g. Kallistra) but I like “holes” to be in the ground…

Participant

You could try a couple of things . . .

I bought a punch of cheap square lipped bases and glued them together in patterns.

Untitled by oldben1[/url], on Flickr

I like using matting board for my boards, thin mdf works well and can be cut with a utility knife.  Matting boards are used in photography.

Michael’s sells thin plastic and wood in sheets.

Home depot had some cool metal screens used for radiators.  They also sell that thin plastic for garage sale sign.  It’s sturdy and easy to cut.

Train stores sell plastic  sheets.  Evergreen and plastruct are the two big brands

Untitled by oldben1[/url], on Flickr

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.