Home Forums General Tabletop RPG’s Sellswords and Spellslingers game and other bits

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all

I had my first games of Sellswords and Spellslingers as a solo game. First I created my party and tried the “Through the Badlands” scenario

The Party

Heinz the Paladin
    Fighter:2 Handed Sword, Strong, Leader, Armour 1, Impetous

Yiggi the Magican
    Club (Staff), Spellcaster, Fireball, Weak, Smart

Soren the monk
    Fighter:2 Handed Mace, Strong, Heal, Heavy Drinker

Jyn the Ranger
    Archery:Bow, Forester, Keen Senses

The Monsters

I used Reaper Bones Bugbears as they are large and my Troll was not painted! The Orcs are all old Grenadier 25mm figures.

The game

I rolled the monster deployment and all of them were in my half of the table! Soren checked and he was sober.

Setup

Turn 1

Heinz activated twice and charged the Orc Brute. He did 2 HPs but it didn’t drop the Orc
    Next Yiggi went and successfully cast 2 fireball causing 4 HPs killing a different Orc Brute.

Then Soren rolled 2 activation’s (but only got one) and moved to the Brutes body. The event card was a Mana flux
    Jyn rolled 2 20’s! and a 4. She cancelled the failures and attacked the other orc brute finishing him off. So fa so good!

Turn 2
    Buoyed by their great start, Heinz again rolled 3 dice and got 3 successes. He rushed towards the Giant Bugbear (Troll) and scored 2 hits and dealt out 4HP. Yiggi rolled a 20 and a failure, so she cancelled the failure and did nothing. Soren searched the dead Orc and then moved to the action. Jyn also searched the other Orc and then joined the fight against the Bugbear.

Turn 3 A change of fortunes!
    First Heinz failed a couple of activations and a monster activation card came up. The Bugbear attacked Heinz but his armour saved him. The Bugbearalso regenerated a wound just to make things worse. Yiggi also failed her activations and a wandering monster in the form another Bugbear appeared right behind her, and charged. It whacked her causing a loss of 2 HP. Soren also had bad luck and failed his 2 activations. A monster activation card came up and attacked Heinz but his armour saved him again. Meanwhile Jyn the Ranger rolled 2 successes and attacked the Troll twice. But instead the monster hit her twice and she dropped to 0HP and was out of action.

Turn 4 Bad to worse
    Heinz attacked the Bugbear but all he got was a nasty headache as his armour saved him again. Yiggi decided to try something risky as fighting the Bugbear was not going well. She rolled 2 successes and disengaged without a taking hit. She loosened off a fireball but her aim was shaken by the frightening experience she just had.

Soren again failed to activate and got another Mana flux and a Wandering monster card. This time is was an Orc brute who again came on right behind him, then and charged Soren. Luckily the Orc missed and took 2 HP.

Turn 5
    Heinz again missed with his armour saving him. A horde move card came up and one of the orcs moved closer to Jyn. Yiggi rolled 2 dice and failed one. She drew a loss of Balance card and slipped over! She tried a fireball from the ground but missed. Clearly she was shaken!

Soren killed the Orc but got 2HP of damage for his troubles!

Turn 6
    Heinz missed his attacks and got killed in return. Also another Wandering Monster (Bugbear) arrived from the western edge. Yiggi activated, failed and got a Monster Frenzy card. One of the Bugbears finished off Yiggi as she lay on the ground. Meanwhile Soren was busy researching healing spells, but then he realised he was the only party member left standing, so he took off.
    That was an appropriate card to end the game with.

Afterthoughts

The initial deployment was tough with all the monsters close.
    I was probably rolling too many activation dice, giving the monster too many actions. Coming from SoBH you tend to roll more dice when the action heats up, but this was not a great approach with SS&SS and turning events cards over.
    My party needs more armour/shields! The Bugbears and Brutes each dish out 2 HP of damage, so each PC is dead after 2 hits. The PCs with armour got hammered!
    Combat is brutal if you roll bad against tough monsters.

I played the spells slightly wrong and also missed a activation when I rolled a 20, but I don’t think either affected the outcome of the game!

Also I didn’t read the Troll card very well and missed the random movement. I could have avoided the first Troll.

Conclusion

A great game system which really works well and it feels more RPGish than the SoBH rules. I like games which are not predictable and this is very good for solo play. It seemed like a tough day for the party so I will have to try again and hope for some better luck.

My 6mm Wargaming site https://6mm.wargaming.info

Keymaster

Nice figures well painted.
    I must confess when I saw the e-mail to tell me about the topic, a little bit of me was expecting a 6mm journey using your Greek stuff.
    Still very nice though!

Props on the wizards orb.

Participant

Nice figures well painted. I must confess when I saw the e-mail to tell me about the topic, a little bit of me was expecting a 6mm journey using your Greek stuff. Still very nice though! Props on the wizards orb.

Thanks, I have been known to do other scales, and my eyes aren’t up to 6mm fantasy skirmish.

The orb is just a sparkly bead – no paint and it looks great

Very nice minis. I especially liked the Gnoll’s scale armor.
    This is one of my favorite rules. I was surprised you used successes to cancel failures so much considering the early turns you sliced through the orcs like butter and the cards you pulled later on were bad luck. A really nice game.

Participant

Thanks. It was my first game although I have played a lot of the “Songs” games.

BTW someone pointed out that they are Bugbears not Gnolls!

Participant

Fantastic game and report.

These miniatures look amazing, as does your table.

I look forward to your next batrep.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.