Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Shadowrunners

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Was just browsing through this and saw the following:

“…the fact that the articles were published in the midst of Singer’s takeover attempt didn’t seem coincidental. Hedge funds, especially activist hedge funds, are established users of private-investigation services. Sometimes simply paying an investigator to go through publicly available information can yield valuable leverage in an investment. The hedge-fund investor Daniel Loeb, of Third Point, exposed misrepresentations on the résumé of Scott Thompson, the C.E.O. of Yahoo, who subsequently resigned. But some private-investigation firms or consultants will do much more for a well-paying client. “There are thousands of tiny shops out there, run by former C.I.A. operatives, MI6 guys, former Mossad people, or people on the fringes, who bring the tactics that they learned in the intelligence service to the investigative and corporate world,” the head of a boutique investigation firm told me. “Smaller players who will do whatever it takes.”

Elliott executives told me that the firm can’t comment on the door-knocking allegations in the Kleinfeld case. The company did acknowledge, however, that it has made changes in its use of outside consultants, and that it used to give greater latitude to third-party firms conducting research on its behalf. Now all third-party researchers are required to adhere to strict rules and their actions must be cleared by Elliott’s legal department. The fund said that these new policies were in place before its investment in Athena, and it denied conducting surveillance on Bush. It also denied that it was the source of the media reports…”

Since I have just been playing through Shadowrun: Dragonfall, it did all seem quite familiar!

Participant

Haven’t played that one, but it is really interesting when life imitates art!  I do know that a decade ago there was an interesting collision between reality and an old Cyberpunk scenario, and those involved had read/played the scenario!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.