Home Forums Medieval Shieldwall Markers Experiment!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been messing around trying to create convincing markers for my Anglo Danes for when they go into Shieldwall……..

I think I’ve finally nailed the correct size for the bases to number of mini’s(?). I didn’t want the markers to overwhelm the units. I hope I’ve hit the right spot?

Many more pics and high brow reasoning on my blog:
    https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/11/shieldwall-markers-experiment.html%5B/b]

Old Markers (Booo Hiss…..):

New Markers- Yay?:

The new one looks good. Doesn’t it get int the way when the unit is in combat or does shield wall gets dropped in combat?

Participant

The new one looks good. Doesn’t it get int the way when the unit is in combat or does shield wall gets dropped in combat?

Most rule sets have reduced movement for Shieldwall with benefits against missile fire whilst not in combat so I’ll just pop it to one side when the real fighting begins 🙂

Participant

does shield wall gets dropped in combat?

That would depend on the situation(?) Furious attackers wielding two-handed axes will certainly break their formation, while unsure defenders mainly armed with spears will probably try to stay in shield wall… but after a few blows it would probably melt anyway. Not sure which rules make a difference for this.

I’ve been messing around trying to create convincing markers for my Anglo Danes for when they go into Shieldwall

Most rule sets have reduced movement for Shieldwall with benefits against missile fire whilst not in combat so I’ll just pop it to one side when the real fighting begins

Interesting idea! I hate markers which do not blend in the terrain and I avoid to use any (as possible) but when they are well thought like this one it could be very useful.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

Thomaston wrote:
    Most rule sets have reduced movement for Shieldwall with benefits against missile fire whilst not in combat so I’ll just pop it to one side when the real fighting begins [/quote]

In the rules I’m (in the main) hoping to use no. The Shieldwall counts in combat but by the point one reached combat ones opponent should be used to the idea that they are in Shieldwall . If not, I can always remove the second version of the Shieldwall marker and put the first version next to the unit in  place. I don’t like markers that amount to clutter thus my quest for a better version 🙂

Participant

Interesting idea! I hate markers which do not blend in the terrain and I avoid to use any (as possible) but when they are well thought like this one it could be very useful.

Thanks. I’m the same as you. (Great minds think alike Patrice )I hate clutter on the table as I see the game as a fun, but very visual experience. I spend a lot of time painting my miniatures and don’t want the effect ruined by a load of crap covering the table.

Keymaster

I hate clutter on the table as I see the game as a fun, but very visual experience. I spend a lot of time painting my miniatures and don’t want the effect ruined by a load of crap covering the table.

^^This, dice and measuring sticks and so on vex me, as for wound markers and the like.. 🙁

Your idea is excellent!

Participant

I hate clutter on the table as I see the game as a fun, but very visual experience. I spend a lot of time painting my miniatures and don’t want the effect ruined by a load of crap covering the table.

^^This, dice and measuring sticks and so on vex me, as for wound markers and the like.. 🙁 Your idea is excellent!

Thanks Mike, I like the table to look as aesthetically pleasing as possible. I blame Art College…… it has a lot to answer for

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.