Home Forums General Conventions and Shows Show Games

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Keymaster

To those that put on games at shows/cons/etc..

What is your primary motivation for doing so?

To promote a club you belong to?
    To promote the rules?
    It is the only chance you get to play?
    One of the many other reasons…

Mike Headden
    Participant

Been a while since I ran one but have run plenty in my time.

I’d say there were several reasons for putting on any of the games which included some or all of:

– promoting a period
    – promoting a game system
    – providing entertainment for those coming to the show to encourage people to come back next year
    – providing something for non-wargaming children/ spouses/ friends/ minders to watch/ join in with while the wargamer(s) in their lives increased the size of their lead mountain!
    – promoting the hobby to the wider world (many years ago I managed to get on the BBC Radio 4 morning news talking about a game we were putting on at Claymore)
    – giving me an excuse to talk to anyone passing by (like I need an excuse! ๐Ÿ˜€ )

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Steve Johnson
    Participant

– to promote a set of rules (in the past BKCII, Dux Bellorum).
    – to promote a period (in the past the Spanish Civil War).
    – to promote a range of figures (mainly 10mm Pendraken).

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Funnily enough I just wrote a blog post about the last couple I was involved in:

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/participation-games-at-shows.html

One was primarily about promoting a game system (Bloody Big Battles) and attracting existing wargamers to it.

The other was primarily to mark an anniversary (Hastings 950th) and bring newcomers into the hobby.

Chris

PatG
    Participant

To provide others with a new and I hope interesting gaming experience with rules and miniatures they otherwise wouldn’t have access too. I have a big collection – why not share it?

John
    Participant

My dad and I are running our second show game at SELWG this year, and the key reason we wanted to do this in the first place was to show other people what we do, to promote a period,and for fun. If I use our planned AVBCW game as an example,(Self promotion warning) when we got the table in June, we had all the forces, almost all the scenery, but no rules! So our summer holiday was spent creating, writing and testing the rules on my hapless friends in order to get something out that worked. Considering the time constraints we were both under (He’s out of the country more often than not, and I row competitively) we could have just abandoned it and pulled out. But we were having a lot of fun with every part of the process.

To model the effect of Nuclear weapons on the wargaming table, apply jerry can of fuel to board, light match and stand well back.

McKinstry
    Participant

All of the above probably make up reasons for me putting on games but on a more generic basis, I feel guilty if I don’t ‘give back’ to some extent to all of the fellow gamers who do so much to put on shows, make products I like and use and put on games at cons, shows and FLGS that give me pleasure.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Patrice
    Participant

โ€“ To promote my rules (although I give them for free download).

โ€“ to game with some friends I mostly meet in game conventions.

โ€“ to promote our regional coordination of gamers associations (“Guilde de Bretagne de jeux de simulation”).

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.