Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket Sikh Wars 28mm Plastic or 15mm Metal

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anybody know of Sikh Wars figures available in 28mm plastic?

If there is nothing out there, I might go 15mm metal with Black Hat Miniatures and QRF. This might actually be the better choice to get a lot of figures on the table – thoughts please?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Smaller the better sir!

😀

Participant

If you go with 15mm, Blackhat, QRF and Irregular will mostly all mix nicely enough.  Black Hat cannon are simply the best.  Victorian Steel for the flags.  Let me see if I can find some pics with all three.
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Sikh</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>sikh</p>

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Wow OB, those are gorgeous. Thanks for the advice.
    What rules do you use?

Participant

Thanks Paul.  I use Piquet Field of Battle my favourite big battle rules.  Also if you are really getting into the period you’d surely enjoy Sidhu’s two books on the Sikh Wars packed with first rate info.

I wrote a few posts on the Sikh War on my blog if its of interest.  Not sure if I’ve replaced all the pics yet post the photobucket debacle but I talk about the armies and the battle of Mudki.

OB

Participant

Thanks OB will check out your blog.

Participant

15mm metal for me. I can just about paint then so they look good* at three feet. Minifigs and Essex do a range that can fit providing you can put up with the comments about “That is a Mughal /Pathan”! Then again I am a heretic.

Arnald.

Please do not take my comments seriously, except Minifigs and Essex do do a good range, QRF with their Friekorps range are a joy to deal with.

Participant

I can only agree with most of the posts above, but I’d like to add a few comments.

My very first Sikh Wars game was inspired by Don Featherstone’s books. There weren’t any models available except (I think) Willy figures – far too expensive for me. This was in about the 1970s, so I converted Airfix figures – Napoleonic British infantry, FFL and cuirassiers. I sold them when I realised I couldn’t find easy conversions for Sikh regulars. Perhaps they still exist somewhere?

I never lost the interest in these wars, and I was delighted when Irregular produced a part range. I phoned Iain and argued the case for him to do the rest of them, backed by a promise to buy an army as soon as they were ready. In a couple of weeks they were ready, and a month or two later they were painted and took the field.

Of course, soon after Lancashire and Black Hat produced their ranges, but I’ve remained mostly with Irregular. What they don’t supply in the Sikh War/Mutiny range can be found in the Crimea range or among the Moslems or Afghans of the Colonial range, while the Sikh cavalry can be found in enormous variety in the Renaissance Moghul/Indian/Persians.

As to rules, I use an adaptation of Crusader’s Rank and File. If you want to give them a try, go to the Crusader Publishing Forum. The adaptations are under the headings of Command System' andSikh Wars’.

Participant

I went with Newline Designs 20mm , as for rules , I plan to start with Flames in the Punjab which is a varient for The Sword and the Flame .

I don’t think I will play them as is but instead use the basics as a skeleton and build up the rest around it with the intention of keeping it reasonably simple

after many, many changes to the plan I have finally settled on starting with 27 units of infantry and cavalry with 6 guns. Units are 20 figures strong for infantry and 12 figs for cavalry , roughly 12 v 15 with some irregulars being a little bigger in size .

The only figures that I would like but cannot get are Bengal irregular cavalry but hopefully they might be in the pipeline along with Gurkhas

Hopefully on the table very early in the new year.

Participant

Newline are very nice.  Irregular are doing stuff in 20mm too, that might help with gaps.

OB

Participant

Mr Steve,

Some of the Bengal Irregular Cavalry wear uniforms that are only distinguishable from, for instance, Afghans, by the colour. I don’t know whether Newline 20mm and 1/72nd are compatible; if so, AFG 05 would easily paint up as the 6th BIC, and Irregular do NIM15 in their 20mm range which would also fit.

Participant

Newline has their ranges on sale for 25% off, which means you could use their fairly complete Sikh War range for the price of 15mm.

Newline Sikh

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Participant

Newline are still making new figures for the Sikh wars range and the poor chap has to listen to my latest list of requests at every show he attends .

I am hopefully that my constant asking for Bengal Irregular cavalry will come to pass but in the meantime they have just announced the missing command stands for British Light Dragoons and new Bengal Light cavalry so no more having to re-paint Brits .  He is also keen on producing Gurkhas and I have sent him pictures to help out.

In my opinion the 1/72nd don’t match as they are too small.

For Warfare in a couple of weeks time I was thinking about asking for alternative artillery sizes and maybe a few elephants to pull the big siege guns however a more sensible request is for Horse artillery limbers in 20mm as I don’t think the Napoleonic 1/72nd are be suitable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.