Home Forums General Board Games and Card Games Simple multi-player board game?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    vtsaogames
    Participant

I’ve recently played a couple games of Brave Little Belgium via Zoom with a buddy. Yesterday another friend watched our game and wondered if there is a simple multi-player war game that could be played the same way.

So I ask the assembled gamers – do you know of a likely candidate? Each player would need a copy of the game, so not too pricey. Simple rules, game over in an hour or two. Thank you in advance.

This too shall pass

Russell Phillips
    Participant

I’m not sure if this is the kind of thing you’re after, but Memoir ’44 has an online version that you can play against another person: https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/start/

There’s no up-front cost, but each game costs two or three “gold ingots”. You get fifty for free when you sign up, so you can try it out. They’re not expensive to buy ($8 for 200, $30 for 1,000, $60 for 4,000).

Military history author

vtsaogames
    Participant

Thank you, Russell. That wasn’t exactly what I was looking for but is still a good thing to know. Any way to game distantly is good these days.

This too shall pass

Norm S
    Participant

Would something like a space game, naval game or mech game be any use, with each player only controlling one or two pieces and the simplicity of that might mean that only one player need buy / own the game?

‘Diplomacy’ is a very good multi player game, the more the better (up to 7 and with less you have players having to manage more than one power) it plays well by e-mail, but would be a longer play than you are aiming for, but could be easily done over several sessions.

vtsaogames
    Participant

Hi Norm. We do have a diplomacy game going. It’s been on since August, started with 7 players using Backstabbr. we’re up to Fall 1907. Russia is gone, Turkey about to go and England hanging on with one unit. Germany (me) and France were bisecting England and fell out with each other before the job was complete. I like the game but find the week-long pauses between moves tiresome. So yes, I’m looking for something fast and simple for our gaming group to do.

What do you suggest for space/naval/mech?

This too shall pass

McKinstry
    Participant

I don’t know if you’d be interested in cooperative games but I’ve introduced several non/light gamers to Pandemic Fall of Rome and they’ve taken to it quickly and quite enjoyed it to the point of returning for additional games.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

vtsaogames
    Participant

Never heard of it before. The title is certainly appropriate. Will look it up. Thanks.

Edit: do you think a game could be run via Zoom or similar with only one player owning the game?

This too shall pass

Well, there is Junta.  But I think you already know about that one. 😉

Have you checked out Table Top Simulator on Steam?  It does look promising.  I’ve played around with it.  There are plenty of free modules to run on that platform so not only could you find a game to play but you could also get a miniatures game going.  Everyone wanting to play would have to have a copy of TTS and a computer to run it.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Ruarigh
    Participant

In addition to TTS, you could always play via VASSAL. There are loads of modules for boardgames for it, some of which might suit. It would mean that all each player would need is the rules. VASSAL is an amazing tool that works well once you have got to grips with it, although I appear to be just as cackhanded handling the counters on VASSAL as I am in real life. Anyway, you might find some of the suggestions made above are available as VASSAL modules.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    https://roderickdale.co.uk/

vtsaogames
    Participant

Both TTS and VASSAL look kind of intimidating. I’ll poke around and see if it starts to gel.

This too shall pass

Ruarigh
    Participant

I know what you mean. VASSAL took me a while to get my confidence with, although it’s mostly fairly intuitive. There’s a user guide if you want to read that first. That said, I mainly learnt how to use it by downloading a module and just playing around with it. Given that it is free, you lose nothing but time trying it out.

I’ve struggled with TTS but should probably bite the bullet and actually read the manual. I have a feeling that might help!

Good luck with however you choose to go on this.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    https://roderickdale.co.uk/

Mike Headden
    Participant

A bunch of three of us old fogeys are playing three times a week on Boardgame Arena (https://boardgamearena.com) using Discord for comms.

The premium membership of BGA, which you need to start most of the the best games there, costs 2 Euros a month if paid as an annual sub. Discord id free.

One person with premium membership can host non-premium members in premium games.

Lots of good ports of physical boardgames to electronic versions.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

vtsaogames
    Participant

BGA sounds good to me since I don’t need to be my own tech support. Not many war games in the mix that I see. So far, Unconditional Surrender; WWII in Europe and Through the Ages look good, the last especially since it is multi-player. What games does your group play?

Edit: do you need physical copies of the games? Are the rules online?

This too shall pass

Mike Headden
    Participant

No, you don’t need physical copies. The rules are usually available on BGA but some take you to the games own site.

Over the past few weeks we’ve played Carcasonne: Hunters & Gatherers, Ars Arcana, Steamworks, Paris Railways, Through the Ages, Race For The Galaxy, Abyss, Luxor, Love Letter, Stone Age, Caravan and several others I don’t remember the names of!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Russell Phillips
    Participant

The mention of Board Game Arena reminded me of YouPlay.it. I haven’t played anything on there for ages, and it doesn’t have many games, but two might be of particular interest: Blue Max and Wooden Ships & Iron Men. I haven’t played Wooden Ships on there, but Blue Max worked well.

Military history author

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.