Home Forums WWII Skytrex decals

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Etranger 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    James Manto
    James Manto
    Participant

Anyone have any experience with the 15mm decals from skytrex /Command Decision?

The weird paper is hard to work with.

Trying to paint stars free hand is looking like a good idea.

Etranger
    Participant

They’re an older form of decal where IIRC you have to apply them with backing paper on, then wait for the paper to loosen. Takes a bit of care and patience compared to the usual waterslide decal but they end up looking ok.

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Years since I’ve used these but here’s how:

Sktrex decals on future wars commander

hope it helps (basically what Etranger said but with more detail)

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

tbh, I’ve always just treated them as waterslide decals. I wondered why one side was a bit sticky! I just bung them in water on the paper for 20 seconds, then slide them into place with a pin.

Some of them are nearly 20 years old and still seem to be stuck on OK.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

James Manto
    James Manto
    Participant

Cheers.

Hopefully that will help. Bit of a bugger not being able to really see what you’re doing.

Would be nice to have had instructions too!

I was wetting them and then trying to lift them off with a paint brush and half the time sticking the decal to my blotter….

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

I’ve found them fine once you understand how to use them.  I tend to paint my own markings, though Allied Stars are a pain to paint freehand, so I use the Skytrex decals and then fill in the stars with paint – my technique looks hand-painted, but with a much sharper edge.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

grizzlymc
    grizzlymc
    Participant

You’re not getting away with those madame Fawr. Who had turret markings like that?

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

I only use Skytrex decals when I have no other choice, but I’ve found them easy enough to use.  In order to provide a good surface for the decal to stick to I gloss varnish the appropriate area first.  I found that the decals didn’t stick too well to matt surfaces.  I cut as close as possible to the decal on three sides of it, leaving a longer tab of paper on one side for ease of handling and correct positioning.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

You’re not getting away with those madame Fawr. Who had turret markings like that?

9th (Royal Deccan) Horse, 255th Indian Tank Brigade.  http://www.fireandfury.com/painting/burmaarmypaintingguide.pdf

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

grizzlymc
    grizzlymc
    Participant

Tank ee sorr.

James Manto
    James Manto
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

I only use Skytrex decals when I have no other choice, but I’ve found them easy enough to use. In order to provide a good surface for the decal to stick to I gloss varnish the appropriate area first. I found that the decals didn’t stick too well to matt surfaces. I cut as close as possible to the decal on three sides of it, leaving a longer tab of paper on one side for ease of handling and correct positioning.

</p>
    Yeah I noticed that last night.  I’ve got arms of Soviet stars peeling up……

Etranger
    Participant

All decals stick best to gloss surfaces. I put a matte finish on after the decals go down for that reason (& the gloss finish that most decals have anyway)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.