Home Forums General Books and Magazines Slaine Graphic Novels

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

So Strozie and his Slaine models rekindled my love of the greatest Celtic warrior ever and I have re-read my original Horned God Graphic novel, but for the full regression, does anyone know if there is a graphic novel that covers the original stories from way back when?

Participant
    Participant

I think you can get compendiums of all the original Slaine stories.

Some of us may still have all our copies of 2000AD from when they were first published. Cough.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Keymaster

Thanks!

I had to get rid of mine when I had to leave where I lived when I was younger.
    🙁
    And all my RPG books too, and novels.
    🙁

Prolly about 1000+ books and 500+ comics.

Participant

That’s horrible dude.  Crushing.  Wish we could help you recover them!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Just discovered that it’s pronounce Slah-nee-ah and not Slayn…  all these years I’ve sounded a buffoon

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Oops — me too!

At least I knew how to pronounce Conan.

Though plenty of people have asked me over the years if I’ve ever read “CO-nan”. I even recall Traci Lords addressing Conan O’Brien that way  (he corrected her).

On the other hand:

I wouldn’t dive too deep into “correct” pronunciations. My real first name is Finnish and my surname is Swedish. I pronounce my first name “wrong” when I speak Swedish with Swedish people, and do the same with my surname when I speak Finnish with Finnish people. I pronounce both parts of my name “wrong” when I speak English with anglophones, Japanese with Japanese people, and so on. It’s the natural thing. Oh, and I don’t even know how to “properly” pronounce my middle name (Attila) myself!

I wince when I think of the days I used to aggressively insist that “anime” shouldn’t be pronounced “Annie May”. I. Was. Insufferable.

As a more relevant example, how about Slaine’s companion, Ukko? Pat Mills got that name from Finnish. It means “old man”, but is also the name of the old Finnish thunder god. I tend to pronounce it the Finnish way but would argue against claims that it would be wrong to pronounce it the anglophone way, or however a speaker of any Celtic language would naturally perceive it to sound like when they see it written (I’m curious to know what that would be, BTW).

Keymaster

Now to agonise over the figures. Celtos from Brigade Models is the obvious choice?

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Celtos/The%20Gaels.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.