Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Slammers big bust up

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    John Treadaway
    Participant

I haven’t got all the pics finished and haven’t put them up on the Slammers site yet (not sure I’ll even fit them all on!) but we played a nine handed Slammers Crucible game at the Maidstone Wargames Club Hall on Sauturday the 25th of August. It went on most of the day and was a great hoot: about a dozen detachments and lots of nice scenery provided mostly by Tony at Brigade.

It was a long table (at least 12 foot, probably 15 foot) and it was a long slog down the table as we – the attackers (Tony’s Lightning Division and the late Jim Clark’s Hiroseki army) started engaging ‘Thuinder Run’ mode toget down the table with some speed. We made it to the objective – just – but got the poo kicked out of us when we did by the Stewart Regiment, Harris Commando, United Defence Batteries and – caught in the rear – by Clark’s Commandos.

I’ll post more when I have some more time:

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That looks like a heck of a game!  Can’t wait to read about it.  So much loveliness!

Those hexes on the hover skirts are dead sexy.  I tried the same thing on my hover tanks and couldn’t get it to work so I gave up and went more conventional.  Then these came out and my jaw dropped, just a great detail.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Tony Francis
    Participant

It was certainly a fun encounter – I think there were a dozen detachments on table, with just short of 100 vehicles deployed. Certainly one of the biggest games I’ve played in of any sort.

Thanks to John and his fellow Warlords for coming down to Maidstone to take part and help us put on the game.

Tony Francis
    Participant

More photos and a brief AAR here:

Extended Slamming

Rhoderic
    Participant

Certainly whets the appetitite for sci-fi mechanised warfare. It’s a nice little exhibit of the many new and redesigned vehicles from Brigade Models, also.

John Treadaway
    Participant

Good point Rhoderic. To set the balance straight, meet that Dark Star that is the Clark’s Commandos who also put in a show on the dayClarks commandos

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Cheers John!

That was a great report and photos.  I’ve actually been resisting buying a radio tower like the one shown, but I think I might have to now, it’s too useful and iconic.

“Major Tredaiwa”, that tickled me!

Quick question: do Calliope defend from buzzbombs?

Tony Francis
    Participant

Do Calliope defend from buzzbombs?

Nope – the only defence is active defence systems, like the ERA blocks on the Slammers vehicles or Drozd as fitted to Zaporoskiye tanks amongst others.

John Treadaway
    Participant

Wot Tony said: the shoulder launched stuff is only stopped by the Slammers type explosive reacitve armour; the (even more sophisitcated) version used by the TAS; the less sophisticated version used by the likes of the Zaporoskiye (amongst others) or is degraded by plain spaced armour used by, for example, the Hiroseki army (the latter also works against ATGWs as well).

There is an optional rule for allowing the Slammers style reactive armour to work against ATGWs as well (though rather less effectively: Using ADS against missile attacks, Supplement 4).

Calliopes – along with some other rapid fire weapons like tribarrels – have (if they have the AI to control it) the ability to shoot down incoming ATGWs ained at the vehicle in question or – optionally and at a reduction in success – when aimed at other vehicles on the same ‘net’ (ie other vehicles in the detachmet or even the force if the scenario permits it: the Slammers often arrange to provide AA cover for other units). Page 122-124 main rules, Anti-Artillery and anti-ATGW capability, Supplement 4 and the sidebar on the same page.

The same systems (either red triangles or blue triangles if they aren’t as good marked on the play sheets) will also attack incoming artillery rounds from off table or even mortar rounds if fired off table (optional rules: Steel Rain, Supplement 1). On table, the mortars get through and hit the roof!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ahaaa, thanks guys, I was wondering why they needed Anti-air in the Slammer’s setting.  Anti-atgm and arty fills it in!

John Treadaway
    Participant

Anyway, after doing some magazine editing and reinstalling a computer that my mate kindly rebuilt, I present the photo report I did of the game. My shots – along with the work of Tony Francis and Andy King – are accompanied by a short bit of text, mostly culled from Tony Francis’ blog report. What I’ve done on the Slammers site is put 92 photos to show the whole game as it progressed.

What else ws there?

The mad dash by the Hiroseki where all command and control was ponied up by their other detachments to enable their commanding officer to push his heavy unit forward, right up until when he was killed by mortar fire and the rest of the force was diverted by fighting off an attack in the rear by Clark’s Commandos.

The Hiroseki Mercenary anti-air support – the Foster’s Regiment – being shot up in their lightly armoured vehicles so badly that they ran when their morale broke.

The Other Hiroseki mercs – the Lightning division – using every means possible to make a Thunder Run down the main road to get an AFV to the radio mast.

The Stewart Regimental piper leading his tanks into town.

The Stewart tanks being targetted by missiles guided in by a hiden Hiroseki sniper – but constantly swatting them away by means of the United Defence Batteries and their calliopes.

The mortar exchanges from both sides which proved deadly when they had found their range against static targets.

You had to be there, man!

Have a look http://www.hammers-slammers.com/maidstone2018_1.htm

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by John Treadaway.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by John Treadaway. Reason: images dont show
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by John Treadaway.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Rhoderic
    Participant

All those pictorial battle reports and other pictorial articles on the Hammer’s Slammers site are such a great resource. I haven’t discovered them just now, but I thought it worth saying anyway. A lot of people may never have noticed them. Grade A stuff!

You had to be there, man!

Given that the setting is basically Vietnam in Space, I believe that’s supposed to be “You weren’t there, man! You weren’t there!” 

John Treadaway
    Participant

Thanks Rhoderic. Yeah, I’ve tried over the years to catalogue what I’ve done and – as is so often the case – what people around the globe have done with Slammers games. For me, so many times people take pics of games and do a little piece on it and it all just gets a bit lost… somewhere on the web. So collecting it together seemed to me to be a good approach.

And yeah: “You weren’t there, man! You weren’t there!” would have been much better!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

A lot of those extra pics area great!

Something that table really does is remind me how important small scatter terrain is.  Things like the park benches, skips, boxes and outdoor dining tables add so much.

John Treadaway
    Participant

Tony did a great job with the terrain. He was telling me that the McDonalds uses an old MaccyD spoon for the roof signage which – being the inveterate modeller that he is – he had hoarded for years for just such a project.

Macs

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Mike
    Keymaster

Oh yeah. I remember those spoons.

John Treadaway
    Participant

Didn’t they get rid of them because people used them to snort ‘marching powder’ ? Or was it that – in the distant future – they knew they would be fundamental to wargames scenery

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That is hilarious!  Great usage too!

I used to have this Grape Nehi bottle from back when we visited Japan in the 70’s.   It had a very odd shape that I have not seen since.  Well, on day I was caring naught for nostalgia and trash-bashed it into a space cruiser.  A buddy liked it so much he bought it from me and I haven’t seen it nor him in 15 years.  I miss that bottle…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.