Home Forums Alternate History Imagi-Nations Small games -> Streams and Walls

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Don’t let the rules stress you…

So true though TBH it’s life more than games!

Not sure about handling Facebook – it was a poisonous place when I was last on and I’m not convinced it’s any better but I’ll bookmark the link and see how things go.

In return, I’ll link this blog post that has a few sets I plan to explore at some point in ’22 and the recent post here on NT’s simple rules.

On a more positive thread though, the Waterloo film and WI magazine has given me a few things to consider:

1) Artillery is way too powerful in my game.  This maybe as simple as dropping the range, firing rate or both but I like the idea of introducing smoke as a negative effect.

2) Squares and cavalry. It looks like my 1/2 damage is under rating the actual effectiveness and I should up this to a full point on the horse but leave it at 1/2 on the infantry.

I guess I will be upsetting the ‘true Napoleonic’ gamers without spending months reading dusty books galore, but this is my nation and given that I’m dreaming of using the Epic ACW infantry with the Epic Napoleonic mounted next year that I may as well be hung for the sheep as a lamb 🙂 🙂

…Provide a rally rule, which removes hits. Don’t make it too easy, though, or else you are constantly recycling.

Interesting – please tell me more?!?

It’s all looking very good!…

I tried adding a very simple morale system – if a unit takes wounds, roll 3d6. If you roll higher than the number of wounds it’s taken it stays on. Lower and it’s gone. adds some nice unpredictability.

Thank you for both those bits.- it’s nice to be rolling dice without bothering over codex / rules accuracy, masses of terrain and if the stripes should be light or dark blue…

The morale roll you use is neat – I’ll use that in my campaign if you promise not to C&D me.

…I’ve had similar thoughts about the “slug-fest” aspect of the OHW scenarios but I’ve found that as I’ve moved on to the more objective based scenarios it has become a non-issue, and the games have become quite interesting and rewarding. Cheers,

Thanks for the kind words, I have been stuck moving on a bit due to minor bits that have been nagging me so I’ll look forward to more flowing games.

Participant

The dice have dictated a small game is up for grabs in my ‘year 22 challenge‘ so I’ll play the first of the mini-campaign games I’ve planned out here.

The good news is that the scenery is really minimal – just one big ridge / hill (2 foot by 6 inch in the 28mm game) so that’s not going to tax my craft skills too much!

One thing I did forget to ask Santa for was a 15 sided dice for the turn counter but I’ll stick with the D20 as the only ones I can find look a little ‘soft’ to me and I honestly cannot justify the cost for one dice inc P&P just for the fun (and I REALLY HONESTLY do not need more dice)!  Maybe if I make a show later this year I could pick one up 🙂 🙂

I’ve also been humming and harring over the half damage counter and the quirks this adds to the 3-hits game compared to the normal 15-hit game. I came across this post on “John’s Wargame Page” about rolling a dice for the half damage and though I cannot get my head around all the options (not his fault – brain stuck in first gear at the mo) I’ll give the ‘roll 4+’ for the damage a go and see how that plays out.

Participant

A thought struck me this morning (yes, whilst contemplating my navel – go on get the giggles over).

I had been wondering about the effect of casualties on combat and it bugged me that a unit with 14 ‘wounds’ in the original game could fight as well as a fresh ‘un-blooded’ unit.

The blinding obvious way to represent a reducing ability is to take the number of wounds the unit has off its dice roll.

As a unit can only have 0, 1 or 2 wounds before being removed in my games, I think this does not mess up / skew the results too far (I use 2D6 for combat but my brain not up to the maths today).

I could apply this only to the defensive roll or both the attacking and defending roll for that unit.  Not sure yet but gut feels comfortable (and yes – take that anyway you wish)…

Participant

I don’t think of hits as wounds or casualties. It’s more like morale status.

That’s where rallying can come into play. In my homebrew rules, units are eliminated after 2 “hits”. However, a unit can use an action to attempt a rally, which will remove a “hit”.

Having a “hit”, however, will reduce combat effectiveness (a -1 modifier on a D6)

Participant

A thought struck me this morning (yes, whilst contemplating my navel – go on get the giggles over). I had been wondering about the effect of casualties on combat and it bugged me that a unit with 14 ‘wounds’ in the original game could fight as well as a fresh ‘un-blooded’ unit. The blinding obvious way to represent a reducing ability is to take the number of wounds the unit has off its dice roll. As a unit can only have 0, 1 or 2 wounds before being removed in my games, I think this does not mess up / skew the results too far (I use 2D6 for combat but my brain not up to the maths today). I could apply this only to the defensive roll or both the attacking and defending roll for that unit. Not sure yet but gut feels comfortable (and yes – take that anyway you wish)…

One thing you have to beware of is that if units in combat get too weak, they get trapped in combat for ever because they’re both too weak to damage the other and neither will run away because nothing’s getting worse 🙂

But yes, as a general it’s a good idea

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

One thing you have to beware of is that if units in combat get too weak, they get trapped in combat for ever because they’re both too weak to damage the other and neither will run away because nothing’s getting worse 🙂 But yes, as a general it’s a good idea

Hope that will not happen due to the 2-12 spread but could try on the attacking dice or defending dice only if it plays wrong – I found that the 15 hits became a slug fest, dropping to 3 hits helps BUT in a few cases that’s resulted in stalemate as well.  Maybe the one sides application would break the deadlock

Of the top of my head, 8 turns I think is the longest stalemate and out of a total game length of 15 that’s a big chunk of just sitting there.  With the limited number of troop blocks as well, it feels impossible to swing anyone else into combat to help break it up – not enough pieces in the basic game.

I don’t think of hits as wounds or casualties. It’s more like morale status. That’s where rallying can come into play. In my homebrew rules, units are eliminated after 2 “hits”. However, a unit can use an action to attempt a rally, which will remove a “hit”. Having a “hit”, however, will reduce combat effectiveness (a -1 modifier on a D6)

The OHW rules do suffer from having no morale rules at all and to be fair where deliberately written that way:

Essentially, loss of morale is reflected in elimination, rather than having to make frequent checks on a unit’s status, which tends to be a feature of complex wargames rules. (Page 10 from the 2014 PDF version.)

but I do like your rally idea and seems a clean way to handle it. All troop types are effectively the same here – you do not have elites units or even heavy / light BUT poor troops could be represented by starting with one point of damage. Wonder if it could be applied only to infantry and cavalry to represent skirmishers and artillery being more ‘fragile’ or smaller units.

Darn – you both have me thinking – mind now going too fast as the word ‘cavalry’ looks like it is totally spelt incorrectly (yup – checked it but still looks wrong) and that’s a little warning sign to me. (To be fair, I’m trying to sort mail, shuffling 8TB of data, 4 boxes of old figures, watching YouTube and reading this so I am at fault and need to step back from a few bits – not sure I could manage this when well).

Not your fault folks – just a wet day outside and a few bits nagging.  Going to have a hot chocolate (with cream and marshmallows) and chill a bit 🙂

Keep up the ideas and comments – all welcome.

Participant
    Going to have a hot chocolate (with cream and marshmallows) and chill a bit 🙂 .
    Now that sounds like a plan 🙂

Participant

Well the hot chocolate helped but I think it was more putting things aside and playing the game at last that cleared the headache.

First the set up of the complete game:

Blue out number Red but can only move / fight two units and ‘just’ have to hold the hill at the end of the game.  Thought I would try a straight line deployment for Red for this game to try and destroy Blue off the ridge by brute force.

Part way through the game – Red cannot shift Blue as they miss just about everything. The twisted deployment is helping Blue a lot under ‘fire at the closest unit’ – so much so I’m forced to consider a flanking attack…

Half way through the game and things are not going well for Red – dice rolls where horrible for them and the Blue skirmishers must have been watching Sharpe as they where solid…

After this it was an uphill slog (sorry) for Red – charging up hill (even into the flank) did not budge Blue who craftily pulled the artillery back through the skirmishers and moved the infantry through them in the other direction to make it harder for Red to clear them off due to the lack of wounds! It’s amazing that the infantry escaped damage – they got squashed a few times in the second half of the game:

The final position was a solid but not easy win for Blue:

Again I am surprised by how challenging this scenario is – it reads simple but is nicely balanced despite me fiddling with the rules. I’m going to try the game again a couple of times I think to see how different units change things. I also need the practise with my new rules changes and a couple of loopholes need addressing (time to read THE book again).

I have also sorted out a box for all the bits (yes it’s a RUB one) but I notice a few marks showing up (along with rain spots on the blue) so need to think about padding:

I then top this with a sheet of ‘funky foam’ and put the felt bits etc on that to stop me having to iron my hills each time!

Not too fused over the scratches as I’ve been meaning to change the green and the rain drops can be resprayed when it’s dry (though it’s a GW spray so I may have the same paint in a pot as it looks the same as the buildings).

I’ll post the few oddities up once I’ve checked my notes in a day or so but in the meantime – are the battle reports interesting enough to keep posting them? I’m keeping the number of pictures down but wonder if I should add a character story as this is supposed to be a campaign 🙂

I also fancy trying a stop motion GIF of one game (I’m NOT doing a video) as the computer is working better now but not sure if it will show.

Participant

Looks like things are coming together
    Sounds like an interesting game

With regard scratches etc, did you varnish your ‘figures’ ?

Participant

Hello Andrew,

To answer you question, yes please continue posting the battle reports, I am enjoying reading them.  There is enough pictures and narrative to make it a good read.

Participant

Looks like things are coming together Sounds like an interesting game With regard scratches etc, did you varnish your ‘figures’ ?

Thank you – as for the varnish I can definitively say maybe?

It did not help that I had them loose in the box, dropped it (only 4-5 inches) and tripped over it though not all at the same time. It’s a bit odd in that the undercoat is showing and not the resin so I’m guess I forgot to finish some of them – does not surprise me as the tin of varnish I have stinks so may have put it off.

Must say that the resin is nice and solid – no points chipped off yet 🙂

I must say sorry to the U.K. folk as planning a respray seems to have brought the rain on for the next week – yuk.

Participant

I must say sorry to the U.K. folk as planning a respray seems to have brought the rain on for the next week – yuk.

I had my hair cut last week which of course coincided with a cold snap 😉

Participant

Hello Andrew, To answer you question, yes please continue posting the battle reports, I am enjoying reading them. There is enough pictures and narrative to make it a good read.

Most kind – I never know if folk enjoy them or not and I get worried over wasting peoples time very very easily.

The really odd thing about the game was it seems to play itself – I had an idea of how things would go from both sides but the dice quickly had their own ideas and made me change my tactics for both sides more than once.  I like games like that but it’s hard to get the feeling over in a post especially as the blocks are a long way away from any semblance of ‘real’ and do not even have unit designations.

Participant

A few things that popped up in the last game for me to mull over:

1. Can you fire though / over your own skirmishers (or other units I suppose)?
    2. Should a cavalry charge push an infantry unit back if not in square?
    3. What the heck is my result if a defender is on the hill and it gets charged in the flank / rear – also this gets worse if its cavalry or artillery?

All edge cases – all cropped up in one 15 turn game
    My 1/2 page cheat sheet now longer and heading to the 3/4 page and I’m not shrinking the font down before anyone says… I may as well go for the full page and tidy up some of the contractions and add the tables I’m often hunting for (troop types 2/4/6 units). AT some point I’ll put the latest cheat sheet up on drop box or somewhere rather than as an image.

Participant

My suggestions, for what they’re worth

There’s an argument that artillery could fire over things if it was on a hill and the others weren’t but I wouldn’t allow overhead fire.

In this horse and musket period, if cavalry charge infantry who aren’t in square, then if the cavalry win they should probably drive the infantry back or even burst through them if they win be enough

Hit in flank is always a bad one. If the unit hit in the flank is fighting or shooting to the front then they should be seriously penalised. But if the unit hit in flank isn’t doing anything else then they’ve got officers and NCOs who can organise things to face the new threat. I’d keep it simple and say that a unit only counts as hit in flank if its also doing stuff to its front.  Then if it’s hit in the flank, it’s in deep trouble 🙂

Participant

I’ve had the oddest week – mind flying from task to task with about a zero output in anything that I had planned on!

I even spent more money on the block game despite it not being needed (but you cannot have too few dice):

I took advantage of the Dice Shop Online flash sale and bought two D15 turn counters.  Why the two? The colour reminds me of who is the attacker in those scenarios that specify it.

Surprisingly, they roll very well – I know they should but these are just odd.

Participant

I have never heard of a d15 until now.  Also saw there are d11, d17, d23 and d37.  What a wild world we now live in!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Hope things are coming together for you Andrew. Thanks for letting us walk this road with you

Participant

They are the bizarrest dice ever. D15… great for turn tracking in OHW.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

JUST A TEASER…

It started out a bad day, Og carrier of ‘The Spear of the Ancestors’ had not slept well – the ferns of his bed had gotten damp and somehow a rock the size of a wolfs head had slipped into the fur. Add to that, ‘she who should be obeyed’ complained the mammoth was tough last night and she threatened not to cook again if he did not bring something in other than mammoth again…

He’d tried explaining that the kill would last at least another month, that it was easy meat AND he loved her cooking but no good – the breakfast bowl was empty, the fire cold and a frozen shoulder turned towards him. The muttering of ‘mighty leader of men’ and ‘Mother told me…’ finally sunk into his skull and he called to those he could see and grabbed “The Spear of the Ancestors” and said ‘I will be out today dear – see you before sun down’.

Fortunately, Son of Sun had spotted a big animal in the woods to the North – he thought it was elk but he has never been the same since he hit himself on the head with his club and demanded his name change.

The only other hunter foolishly in range of his shout was Kean-eye who at least knew which was the pointy end of his arrows but could not wield a club if he had aid.

Well, worst case, Og thought to himself, we may be able to catch something in the rough grounds before we reach the woods…

So, it’s at this point, the narrator is going for a cup of tea having set the table up:

and our hen picked hero entering from the south:

Participant

Nice table set up. 15mm?

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Nice table set up. 15mm?

Yup – 60x60cm (parallax strikes) using the Picts from the Barbarica range by Copplestone as the main guys. There are other figures that will show up in the future that I’ll try to track down but memory not too good due to the age of some 🙂

Participant

Got a bit lost with reactions and tracking the number rolls vs actions vs reactions but it went better than I thought and I did not get flustered too much :-). Way more difficult than the block game and I’m sure bits where wrong but fun was had!

So, letting the narrator pick up as our gallant hunters head to hunt elk:

Og decided he better take a look around and headed to the rough ground and hill to the east flushing some wild game out of the thicket near Son, who managed to look the wrong way watching Keen-eye release his first arrow pinning the bird to the ground in a clean kill (natural 6).

Not spotting anything, the clan decide to move north and bar from the odd trip (flushing another rather angry bird out of the grass) Son actually manages to get to north of the woods without breaking anything. Keen-eye takes up position south with Og ready to charge in if needed.

Waving his spear high, Og signals Son to howl as loud as he can (believe me – all that mammoth meat has led Son to be able to make a lot of noise) and soon a crashing sound starts moving through the woods. Problem is it’s a bear not an elk – well actually a rather upset bear and without a thought Son charges in swinging his club like it’s the end of the world (well  maybe the start would be more accurate).

The bear, standing twice the size of Son, decides running is a good move and crashes west chased by a hail of arrows and a rather mad Son who decides this bear is going to be lunch.

Amazingly, Son manages to out run the bear and whacks it a solid thump as he passes it and stopping it by the ‘eye of the plain’. I was a bit surprised – thought the bear was heading off the table but nope!

Hiding behind the stones, Son finally realises he is way out of his depth and away from the others so backs away as Keen-eye shoots the bear rather than the more tempting target, killing the beast while missing Son.

As the bear collapses in a heap, our hero’s close in to decide how to take the prize home not realising the sounds of the hunt and smell of dying animals have disturbed a group of wolves who were kipping in the megalith…

(As it happens – I decided that a wolf would appear if all hunters failed an activity and as they bent to drag the bear they all did. To make matters worse, the first wolf rolled two ‘roar’ results as Og and Son dropped the bear again – I ruled this brought out the other two)

Smelling the dead bird, the wolves slowly move towards it thinking lunch until they notice the bear being dragged by the paws through the gap in rough areas… Licking their lips, a mass attack on the bigger meal is decided on by a few yips and roars forcing two of the guys to step back after dropping the bear.

Guess who was so stupid though, he thought he could take on the three wolves? Yup, with a cry of ‘mine, mine, mine’ Son charges in clubbing one wolf dead in seconds but suffering from a hard suck at the same time.

Shouting with glee (well sun stroke or blood lust), Sun manages to scare the remaining two wolves back allow the others to provide support from behind the bear.

Deciding that humans are not really food, the two wolves slink away allowing Og to return triumphantly to ‘she who should be obeyed’.

As Son limps off for a rest, Og announces to all he has conquered a mighty beast without getting a scratch and even managed to bring a chicken home for tea!

Cue the sun slowly setting over the camp with Keen-eye shaking his head in disgust…

Participant

Andrew

That looks like a whole lotta fun, and awesome table too!  Thanks for those photos.  🙂

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

Participant

Great luck for the hunters!  And even more amazing luck that they all survived intact!  Beds should be warmer on this night… Good stuff, sir.

Participant

Certainly looked fun.
    And it shows that fun is not reliant on having hordes of figures and vast tables 🙂

Participant

Flip, Fooey and darn it 🙂

Dug out the blocks for game 2 in the series to find out I have no town / village but then remembered I had done one for the old Portable Wargames set-up. Guess who forgot that the only one I had done was desert based and not ‘pseudo-european’ – yup me…

So you can have a picture of it:

I’ll get the felt and scissors…

(OK – I did order a pack of European houses, some churches and a signal tower from Brigade last night as well)

Participant

Great service from Brigade – the buildings arrived today with minimal flash 🙂

I have tracked down a better paint (the original picture is here) that is closer to the green real flag down the road and I’ve done one unit to try:

I’ve also updated the QRS and that’s now available on iCloud as a 53K PDF here – I’ll look to get it onto a drive for those without an iCloud account (or work out if I can share it publicly from there).

Next up is the Battle of Bonby – troops / dice / counters etc all retrieved, house empty, table, nibbles and coffee to be prepared then I’m off:

(Spot the new green in the block if you can).

I may paint the edges of the blocks black or grey as a touch up and (re)varnish would not hurt though I’m a bit stuck on the skirmishers / artillery as they do not have edges – may have to mask some in… Happy to take ideas here 🙂

Participant

I think I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again – I just love the von Reisswitz vibe happening.  Very clean.  And the new green paint looks very nice.

Interested to see how your game turns out.

Participant

…Interested to see how your game turns out.

Just for you (though I bet a few others look – I won’t mind) 🙂

The Battle for Bonby:

On a nice sunny afternoon, the Blue forces heard the rapid approach of Red from the North and despite having few troops in the area, mustered the two units at hand and prepared to give their all for Bonby and its village hall teas (every Thursday morning if you are interested):

Initial deployment and first move saw the two skirmish units facing off and the single Blue infantry moving up the road to delay the overwhelming forces coming off The Carrs and down Main Road (yes we have a Main Road going through all the villages).

Turns out the move out of the woods was pointless AND putting the skirmishers in the woods a waste – better to hold the village with everything you have and let your other troops arrive on turns 5 and 10 to support them.

OHW rules do not give bonus for being in buildings, hiding in woods, flank attacks etc – something I’m tweaking but trying to stay with simple rules…

A strategic withdrawal saw the Blues rapidly circled but dug in – dealing more damage than the Reds. I did rule cavalry could not charge into town (local parish bylaw you know) – seems to make sense and I’ll keep it.  The rules say they can pass through but not end so I’m happy with this tweak.

Unfortunately, the first set of Blue re-enforcements arrive and are promptly driven off the board or killed in a wave of sixes:

This does highlight a real ‘quirk’ – you can move or shoot so if you come on you cannot fire and a well timed cavalry charge can run you straight back off the board! Is this a bug in the rules mods I have done? The normal rules have only the cavalry moving back – I changed this so units not in squares are pushed back as well.

After another round of fire, numbers began to count and Blue was soon removed from the board with only two reserves to come on. Interestingly, the pivot first and then move in a straight line created an interesting mess in the town for Red and their field of fire (45 deg infront) being limited in moves and space.

This let a couple of Blue units get onto the board while Red shuffled about in the village (obviously hunting for the milk) and a disastrous cavalry charge or two forced on Red unit off the board and left the other out of place. (The white cube just donates that block has moved and I’ve left it behind while taking the picture):

In the end though, fire power and a decent Red charge cleared all but one Blue unit off the board and with 3 turns left, there was no chance of getting back into the village for a draw as 1 turn (maybe two) would be needed to move, three to kill a unit and 1 more to move into the vacant space.

A solid victory to red in 11 turns and 45 mins inc tea and biscuits.

Now to paint a few more green triangles and ponder:

• Should both units fall back after a cavalry charge?
    • Is 2″ too far to fall back – think yes – maybe 2″ for cavalry but 1″ for all others?
    • Charges – flat ground only?
    • Think about firing on the flank / rear and rethink charges on same…

I’m also hunting for some small plastic blocks (5-6mm) in blue and red to replace the white cubes and large (16mm) blocks I currently use. Failed so far to find any (12mm being the smallest) so may end up painting the white ones…

Next up – Control the River Avon (scenario #3 in the book)

A river, with two fords cuts, the board in half – the winner has to hold both fords.

EPS:

A thanks to Mike for changing the system cut-off date to allow me to edit the title!

Participant

Sounds fun

Should both units fall back after a cavalry charge?

Not sure, depends on the result, loser fall back, if a draw charger fall back?

Is 2″ too far to fall back – think yes – maybe 2″ for cavalry but 1″ for all others?

Yes I think this is reasonable

Charges – flat ground only?

I’d say you could charge up or down hill, but not through rough terrain, woods, villages etc

Think about firing on the flank / rear and rethink charges on same…

Always worth a ponder 🙂

Jim

Participant

Bonby seems like a decent town.   Glad to hear that cavalry charges have been banned within village limits.

Sounds like you had an interesting little battle.  It’s always pleasurable to think about things afterwards, and what rules worked or didn’t, or what to tweak for next time.  Or as I am wont to do; reread the rules to discover how I messed things up!

Although I love OHW’s philosophy, just too many things were overlooked for simplicity and speed in my opinion.  But as many others have pointed out, OHW might have missed a lot of spots on the canvas, but there’s no reason you can’t fill them in.

I do have to admit, I quite like his movement method.  Very simple, and yet you have to think a little before you move otherwise things get messy, as you found out it seems.

Participant

@Jim – good points ta-muchly.

I’ve no real understanding of cavalry warfare (bar from the odd history video) and not really up to research. Comfortable keeping the 1″ and 2″ difference.

@Tony – OHW is definitely a basic set and I’m fighting adding rules on top of rules both for my mind and drifting from the original but each game is leading to changes 🙁

I think I pressurised myself into the Napoleonic ruleset as I had seen the news on the Warlord release and always had an urge for the Perry Travel Battle set but a read through the other periods around this time will be interesting now I understand a bit more about the game mechanics.

Participant

I understand a bit more about the game mechanics.

Nothing like building your own game to teach you about game mechanics. It’s probably the only way to really learn

Participant

Hopefully this link should give you the QRS via Google Docs without needing an account.

Participant

Not sure if you have seen the sad announcement here

tl;dr – The worldwide situation is forcing a cut back in the ranges and my blocks are end of line. The business deserves to survive as they have some great castings (OK, I am a little biased to the blocks) and it’s a sad reflection on the times.

I hope they can continue through this storm and go from strength to strength – I’ve asked if I can get some more bits for bigger battles that have been pulled – fingered crossed.

Maybe a cast till order service could be implemented till the moulds die???

Participant

Got a bit of a clear mind (and new glasses) and knocked up these:

My ‘stained glass’ needs a bit of yellow but I’ve ‘misplaced’ my best bottle (a gift from Alice – whoops) so it may not get done:

Size wise – the tongue depressor is 15×2 cm (6 x 3/4 inch in old money) and the figures are pulled from Brigades Small Scale (2mm) Village and Church packs with a height of around 8mm to the ridge of the roof. I had no real idea of what the arms on the semaphore tower should be (top row first on the left) though Brigade have them as white but a bit of colour never hurt and I may change the grey for the new bright green…

Basing is on hold as we will be out of the house for a couple of weeks while the electrics are redone and a few more after that while we try to find things again but the thought is to make two bases – both with the same roads / gardens / churchyard etc but one with the buildings and one with grey outlines (or none). This lets me swap out the building if troops occupy the town and not have the blocks falling off the roof tops.

In the OHW rules quite a few scenarios have one or two towns in them with the nominal table top size about 6inch square (max around 8×8 in #23) so mine would need to be a piddly 2×2 or about 6 small houses! This may need to be increased in size or I do a few more buildings over four tiles that match roads etc for BIG battles (I now have enough blocks to double the armies thanks to Steve putting them back on the Battlescale site).

Spookily, the church is a close match to our C12 church  St Andrews  but no way would I take a razor saw to this chunk of metal – starting in balsa or foam would be better for the nave – the tower would be a snip to take the buttress off though.

Participant

The buildings look darn fine, good sir!

Participant

Those buildings are looking great.

Participant

You’ve made a splendid job of those buildings.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 204 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.