Home Forums Alternate History Imagi-Nations Small games -> Hex moves OHW

Viewing 14 posts - 201 through 214 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Thank you – it’s been a bit of a slog over the last month but I’m chuffed I got something done.

Participant

well it was a slog to some purpose 🙂
    Seriously, they look good.

With regard storage, could you make some card trays (breakfast cereal box would probably be OK) . Have stiff card dividers in them so the pieces of river slide between the dividers and you can stack the trays?

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

Your rivers look good

Indeed Andrew,

puts my own delayed meagre efforts to shame !
    Well done…

Not sure about the angst of storage!
    My own both cardboard and resin have sat in A4 file boxes 30-40 yreas old, battered, bruised and bent from both travel and storage, and they’re still ok!
    Unless you have a fat-assed m-i-law, dog or local werewolf about to sit on them, I wouldn’t worry…

Now back to vacuuming my library (yes the books and shelves…)

davew

Keymaster

Possibly a 9L RUB with Warbases trays to store flat or pick and pluck and store vertically…

This is the way.

Participant

Nice overview of Tusk popped up in my feed today:

It raised an interesting thought / wish that as both this game and Palaeo Diet are multi-part why do not the authors merge the different volumes into one PDF? I for one would buy a combined set on top of the individual parts I have…

Keymaster

When did the TUSK rulebook get so fancy?   😛

Participant

When did the TUSK rulebook get so fancy? 😛

2009 is the copyright date in the PDF compared 1994 for the paper version going by the credits in my copy.

My file dates to 2014 but I’m not sure that’s 100% an accurate date as this could be around the time I shuffled files to the small NAS but I think this the only copy issued as I’ve no newer versions in my WV library.

A fair number of the Wessex Games old rules are in PDF at https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/2492/Wessex-Games but in the case of Tusk I think the other parts are only available from Irregular http://irregularminiatures.co.uk/Misc/Rules.htm as I’ve never seen them for sale elsewhere (well except for odd copies on eBay).

Keymaster

Huh, who knew.
    Thanks!!

Participant

I confess that the only copy of Tusk I’ve ever seen is the unfancy one from Irregular 🙂

Participant

Between naps I’ve managed to watch a video on what could be the most dangerous period for humans in my Palaeo game.

Big cats, giant snakes, big lizards and humans (to say nothing of giant wombats) are some of the extinct natives of Australia:

I know The Stronghold Rebuilt  (kaptainkobold) often plays in this period and had featured some of these but it’s tempting to keep an eye open for suitable monsters figures and read up about the terrain and history…

Participant

wow!

Participant

Waffling Thinking out loud…

I was thinking about the movement method I am using with the blocks in my solo One Hour H&M games where the side to move is selected by a coloured cube pulled out of a bag and then I select / move a unit up to the full distance it can. This gives me a nice flow as I get to move some units in between the other side rather than a traditional UGOIGO sequence.

Given the number of units (12 at most in the whole game) /  small area I’m playing with got me thinking about the lack of simultaneous moves and the situation towards the end of the turns where all bar one unit has moved and it then gallops across a chunk of the board…

I used to play Star Fleet Battles where each turn was split into 32 impulses and ships moved at set points in the turn depending on their speed.

I could split a turn into say 6 parts (impulse in SFB) and cavalry would move 1″ per part with skirmishes moving 1″ in parts 1,2,4,6 and infantry moving 1″ every OTHER part turn leaving slow old artillery moving in parts 1,4 so giving 6/4/3/2 inch total moves per turn. (Move lengths made up as I do not have my notes handy and this is a brain dump).

Movement would not be hard to track as all cavalry (on both sides) could be moved in the given part turn or not as required and the chart could be laid out showing the unit type to move.

Physically actioning the move is simple (may need to rule left to right and select which side actually moves first for example) as all I would need is a single 1″ stick and move up to its length with the blocks being a piece of cake compared to masses of individual figures 🙂

Firing and combat could take place at any part turn and would need a counter (be it smoke or marker) to track and gives the benefit that a unit I thought could charge may be held back if it’s severely wounded early in the turn by ranged fire.

Charges are a real issue – I can see I may bias one side to give them the combat bonus but think I can offset this by:

• Using a pair of coloured cubes and drawing one each turn for the side with priority or just alternate this each turn.
    • Given the OHW book scenarios normally have an attacker / defender definition I could just say the attacker moves first into the combat i.e. charges if it can reach.
    • I could simply rule charge bonus is given in the order of speed with attacking side getting the bonus.
    • I could randomly pull a cube at time of combat

One interesting spin off is that units may get more than one combat per turn – no idea how this changes the ‘three hits and you are out’ I use or the game overall.

No idea if this makes sense to anyone but me or older SFB players – I’ll try to draw up a chart as the only move chart I could find was the ADB 32 Impulse PDF online and no quick guide in the cadet section bar from the simplified 16 impulse PDF chart that also lists the sequence things move per impulse.

Need to think the charge through – SFB did not have any bonus for charges as they do not really exist in space but it plays a big part in hand to hand combat…

Participant

I remember a superhero rpg years ago where, from memory there were six phases a move and various characters could move in various phases. So a really fast superhero could move in all six, whereas slower characters perhaps moved in 1,3,5 and from memory normal people moved in one or perhaps two.
    So I think the system should work

Participant

So I stopped coughing enough to get the laptop out (coughed the iPad off my lap today – it bounced) and knocked up this:

The basic rules are nice and simple at first glance, so phasing the turn into four steps I get a table like this:

Then I read my QRS and b*gger – I’ve forgotten the extra 3″ troops get if all the move is on a road – aargh I did not want two lines (normal / road) or worse two sets of phasing so I’ve come up with:

The way to read the table is as follows:

For each phase the letter determines who can move and the sequence they move in. i.e.:

• Phase 1 – cavalry move first followed by skirmish followed by infantry
    • Phase 2 – cavalry move followed by skirmish and then artillery get their first move
    • Road phase – any units on the road gain a 1″ move
    • Phase 3 etc etc

OK – Missed the sequence of troop types on the road (CSIA) but I think this represents my ideal of dashing cavalry, sneaky skirmishers, plodding infantry and slow lumbering artillery but hey I’m not a historical gamer so YMMV (literally) 🙂

Some other points that impact move are simple to handle:

• Pivots are in phase 1 and 5 only
    • Units that have to stop at woods / rivers etc do so in the phase they reach the obstacle
    • Combat occurs as soon as contact is made – units would then be marked with smoke
    • Units that retreat after combat do so in the same phase as the combat and cannot move during the rest of the turn.

I need to think about firing – it’s normally done by units that do not move and I will need to remember which units have moved during a longer turn. Three thoughts so far are:

1. Units fire in phase 1 and are marked with a puff of smoke and halt
    2. Units can move and fire then stop (possibly the most ‘accurate’ representation)
    3. Units can move and fire and then move in later phases (YUK – Hate this)

For simplicity I like option 1 as it ties in with the hand to hand combat and smoke denote no move in the remaining phases.

Squares could be formed during phase 1, during the ‘road’ phase or at any point – I like the idea of limiting it to phase 1 so the troops do not run across the board and gain ‘extra’ time moving to the square.

The final points:

• Will the use of smoke clutter the cleanish board I have and possibly look odd with the blocks?
    • Will this add anything to the game other than possibly extend the time through complexity?

No idea but there is only one way to find out 🙂

Given that I’ve not had the energy to do any gaming since the paint / builds a couple of months ago then I’m actually excited to play a few original style games and then compare to these mods…

Now, where did I put that campaign map???

Viewing 14 posts - 201 through 214 (of 214 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.