Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Small Sci-Fi Dwelling

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I decided I want a city to fight over and after some thought I decided to go with a Sci-Fi theme.  Maybe not the most organised way to do things, usually I have a period I want to play and work from there but this time it’s about the type of combat, not where or when it occurs.

Anyway, first building is done, mould made and copies cast.  Very long way to go, but I’m happy with the start of this journey. 🙂

Mike
    Keymaster

Very cool base building.
    A few unique details and some of those will look quite different from one another!

Hard to gauge the scale from the box file, but 15mm ish?

Mike
    Keymaster

Reminds me of Ghosts of Mars BTW

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Yeah, sorry, 15mm, I should have said.  🙂

I’ll probably use Green Stuff to add some items on the rooftops or against the walls, some graffiti or posters too maybe.  Oh, and bullet holes and other battle damage, because it’s that kind of city…

Mike
    Keymaster

Drawing pins are good satellite dishes.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Oooh, thanks, I’ll use that. 🙂

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That’s a great start V!  Don’t be afraid to go all curvy with the shapes too, especially if they are some sort of adobe analog.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thuseld
    Participant

So many questions! I thought, wow that is a nice looking building, oh now it is being cast to make copies. What is your mould made from? What are the copies made from? How much do the ingredients cost? I have wanted to cast for ages but am scared to invest in a bunch of crappy stuff. Also, my one foray into Plaster of Paris and vacuum pack molds was not super successful.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

So many questions! I thought, wow that is a nice looking building, oh now it is being cast to make copies. What is your mould made from? What are the copies made from? How much do the ingredients cost? I have wanted to cast for ages but am scared to invest in a bunch of crappy stuff. Also, my one foray into Plaster of Paris and vacuum pack molds was not super successful.

The mould is made from RTV rubber, I use Polycraft General Purpose.

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/rtv-silicone/gp-3481-f.html

I like it because the rubber is white, the catalyst is red, you know when they are mixed properly because everything is pink.  Just keep stirring till there are no streaks of red or white and you know you’ve mixed it correctly.  Measuring of quantities of rubber and catalyst is easy, a simple 10:1 ratio.  It’s pretty much idiot proof. 🙂

For casting I use Resin Plaster.

https://www.pullingers.com/p/PEB766313/casting-materials/pebeo/resin-plaster?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr9z5_ZW41QIVQr7tCh2-CwZzEAQYAyABEgKJZfD_BwE

Ratios and mixing are again pretty much idiot proof, 3 parts powder to 1 part water.  It’s a sort of extra hard plaster, I prefer using it for buildings to actual resin which I find difficult to work with (not idiot proof obviously).

Thuseld
    Participant

Thanks for the info and links. How many of those buildings would you get out of 1 kg of the resin PLASTER?  And how many moulds could you make from 550g of the polycraft stuff?

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I’ve cast 6 so far, used about half a packet of the plaster to do it, so figure 10 to 12 buildings per pack (I need to work out how to do a void in the middle of the casting to make the plaster go further, that might double how may I get).

It’s harder to say how much rubber I used to make the mould, but with 550g I’d expect to make 2 or 3 moulds depending on the size of the building.   Mike is probably better placed to say how much it takes on average.  It’s all down to how thick you make the mould around the building really, plus the size of building obviously.

Mike
    Keymaster

(I need to work out how to do a void in the middle of the casting to make the plaster go further, that might double how may I get).

Pour in two goes.
    First pour just enough to cover the roof and let set.
    When dry place inside the mould a chunk of something to take up the space.
    I use a smaller mould, though you could just use a polystryene block as you are not using resin (resin would melt it when curing) then once the second pour is done pull it out then pull out the extra mould/ spacer from the middle.

I can dig out a pic if it helps make it clearer?

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Seems clear enough, thanks.

I might need to do it all in one go though, as I’m not sure how well plaster bonds to already set plaster.  But pour in half, place a polystyrene block in it and pour again should work I think.  I might need something to stop the block floating or sinking, but that should be easy to rig up. 🙂

I suppose I could even leave the block in it, I have plenty of scrap polystyrene lying around the place.

Thuseld
    Participant

Seems clear enough, thanks. I might need to do it all in one go though, as I’m not sure how well plaster bonds to already set plaster. But pour in half, place a polystyrene block in it and pour again should work I think. I might need something to stop the block floating or sinking, but that should be easy to rig up. 🙂 I suppose I could even leave the block in it, I have plenty of scrap polystyrene lying around the place.

Having no experience casting, couldn’t you make the void filler with some hooks on the bottom so it hooks over the edge of your casting box and doesn’t sink. Then surely you could pour it in in one go?

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Seems clear enough, thanks. I might need to do it all in one go though, as I’m not sure how well plaster bonds to already set plaster. But pour in half, place a polystyrene block in it and pour again should work I think. I might need something to stop the block floating or sinking, but that should be easy to rig up. 🙂 I suppose I could even leave the block in it, I have plenty of scrap polystyrene lying around the place.

Having no experience casting, couldn’t you make the void filler with some hooks on the bottom so it hooks over the edge of your casting box and doesn’t sink. Then surely you could pour it in in one go?

I don’t want it near the edge, it would need to be central, so probably  a rod that can lie across the mould with the void filler suspended from the middle.  That could also work to hold it down if it wanted to float up in the plaster.

It’s one of those things I’ll try and see what happens (showing off how amateur I am here). 🙂

Mike
    Keymaster

If you use polystyrene I reckon once the plaster touches it, it will pretty much hold it in place.
    Failing that just stick a stack of coins on top of the filler to hold it down.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I added a bar to go with the homes, quite pleased with the result.  This was a one off, so I didn’t bother making a mould.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.