Home Forums Modern Smoke grenades?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

For those of you with first-hand experience (or who are well read) how common are smoke grenades in modern NATO use?

How many would be carried by a squad and can anyone give some pointers as to how they are used?

Thanks in advance

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Paul
    Participant

Hi Ivan
    No first hand experience with smoke grenades, but I think I have a site bookmarked on my laptop with details of the ways that they are used. Will check when I get home and give you the link.

Cheers

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Mike
    Keymaster

interesting question, I guess a common use is to mark an LZ?

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Paul – would love that info. I’m working to incorporate them in my Moderns rules but I want to ground it in reality as much as I can.

Nordic Weasel Games

Paul
    Participant

This is the site I was thinking of.

A quick Google also came up with US smoke tactics

Not sure if you’ve ever played the West End Games Star Wars Miniature Battle rules; they had nice, simple rules for smoke and fire.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Sweet thanks!

I haven’t played that though it was always on the list of games I wanted to play. Thing is, when I am working on a game I try to avoid other games in the same style as much as possible. Not that other people have bad ideas but I find that I am less satisfied with a game idea when it’s directly inspired from another mechanic as opposed to thinking about how I’d like this mechanic to work to represent things. If that makes sense?

Of course, at some level, we’re always influenced by things that have come before 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Nick Riggs
    Participant

I imagine some use of smoke grenades is involuntary, e.g. when retreating, a man may throw smoke or a vehicle might pop a spread of smoke grenades as a matter of course, and so this action would just be an addition to the standard text for a unit retreat result. Directing smoke at a point, from a tank gun or a grenade launcher (to cover movement or retreat, or to blind a powerful enemy vehicle or heavy weapon) is more of a voluntary activity.

In ARMA I’ve seen medics throw smoke to cover treatment of a fallen soldier, although this is probably something that happens in ARMA more than real life. A medic might do it to allow the casualty to be dragged to hard cover.

Gaz045
    Participant

We were told to use smoke for screening whenever possible…….use it to cover medics/evacs as above, blocking view in streets/narrow ‘gaps’ etc. not much use in windy conditions!

We also humped as many as possible as long as it didn’t infringe on ‘real’ grenades and ammo amounts,whilst in training we had half a dozen or so per section of 6-8 blokes…….red and green were very prevalent- blue and purple were around….. I remember we had a batch of yellow ones once too- good amongst green foliage of Western Europe, turned my kit a pale olive colour after one landed very close.

When signalling other units/helo’s etc the colour is confirmed , ‘smoke out’ – ‘blue’ -‘ confirm blue’ etc……..indicating wind direction too for lz’s….

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

rick forrest
    Participant

There are two types of smoke grenade, smoke screening and smoke signalling. Screening smoke is phosphorous and makes an instant cloud of whitish smoke,Signalling comes in various colours and takes a while to build up. I’ve used both but have chucked a lot more signalling smoke, mostly to indicate friendly positions to aircraft. The amount carried depends on wether you have vehicles and role in the section/platoon.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Appreciate all the info guys

Nordic Weasel Games

John D Salt
    Participant

Dunno how fashionable they are now, but in the old Cold War days smoke grenade use was indispensible to a British Army platoon attack — “Two up and bags of smoke”, as the saying used to be. Even a small coloured signal smoke grenade can provide a surprisingly good screen when conditions are right.
    Of course you had to take note of which way the wind is blowing. I recall an Officer Cadet in my university OTC who tried to throw a smoke during a section attack, but a quicker cadet threw smoke before him, and his section commander told him not to throw. Unfortunately he already had the pin out; so he tried to get it back in, an attempt in which he was only partially successful. Then we had a change-round, I was put in charge of the section, and we did another section advance to contact. Unfortunately I had not noticed that OCdt Carruthers was advancing to contact with his rifle in one hand, and the smoke grenade with its half-in half-out pin in the other. When the exercise enemy started potting at us and I shouted “Take Cover!”, OCdt Carruthers took the opportunity to get rid of the recalcitrant smoke, yanking the pin fully out and flinging the grenade as far as possible straight towards the enemy. Not what I wanted, for the wind was blowing straight towards us. In a few seconds, the smoke had built up well enough to visually cut off one half of my section from the other, and I had the interesting experience of trying to command an attack by a section half of whom I now couldn’t see. The enemy’s view of us remained unhindered throughout. I had stern words with OCdt Carruthers at the reorg.

All the best,

John.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Love the story and that reinforces my belief that a “realistic” game should include random tables for blunders 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.