Home Forums Horse and Musket American Civil War Snake rail fences in South Carolina?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi!

I’m about to delve into the ACW and want to make some terrain while I ponder about which figures to order… I will need lots of fences, but which? Snake rail fencing looks very ACW for the beginner, but I’ve heard that they were not used everywhere. I will build my forces around the Combahee River Raid, which took place in South Carolina, so does anyone know if they had those fences there?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Shandy

Participant

What scale Shandy?

Participant

15mm… although I got some nice 28mm figures as a gift, which I will use for small scale skirmishes using Ganesha Game’s rules. Anyway, I’m going to scratch build the fences, so I can do both if I’m particularly bored 

Participant

I made these fences out of wooden skeweres for 28mm and the same might work for 15mm using cocktail sticks.

Participant

Yes, they are fine for SC.  I live in SC and I see them quit a bit at revolutionary war sites, and here is a picture from a civil war battlefield.  Should be fine to use them.  I believe they were pretty common as, we had a lot of timber here that had to be cut to clear fields, so they were an easy to build wooden fence. (kind of like stone fences in New England, use what you have on hand)

Good luck with your project!

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Participant

Cool, thanks for the info! Meanwhile, I did a virtual tour with google street view and also saw some ‘normal’ (straight) fences, so I might mix them – snake rail for some fields, straight rail for others. Hope that’s ok…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.