Home Forums General Conventions and Shows So what did we think of Colours this year?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John D Salt
    Participant

Having been reminded at the last minute that it was Colours today, I bimbled along for the afternoon. The journey from my house to Newbury race course appears to be 33.3 miles, so a return trip is a tithe of the Mileage of the Beast.

I didn’t see Dave Manley there, but I did see the riverine game he had alluded to. The only familiar faces to me were Martine Goddard on the Peter Pig stand (who seemed very busy so I didn’t say hello) and Phil Sabin of King’s London, who had a big minatures setup using the rules from his excellent “Lost Battles”. I spent a considerable time in conversation with a pleasant chap called Simon Palmer from the Redhill club — I had cast envious eyes at his newly-obtained copy of “They Come Unseen”, and he let me see the contents of the box, from which we fell to discussing a braod variety of wargamerly stuff.

One of the games that most impressed me was the Solent club’s 2mm ECW game — not my period, but I was fascinated to see this period being done at what is effectively the operational level, rather than the usual battle game. Similarly the Crawley club’s Overlord game was a broader scale than one usually sees with miniatures, what looked like brigade or regiment sized stands, and a large and good-looking area map reminiscent of Courtney Allen’s “Breakout: Normandy”. The overall standard of game presentation was very high, but these two games struck me as something out of the ordinary.

There were more trading stands than you could wave a big stick at, but the thought of the boxes of unbuilt Airfix kits sitting in the garage meant that I managed to get out without buying anything (though I nearly weakened at a couple of GAZ-69s, and was oddly tempted by the idea of an inflatable 75mm shell). The array of goodies on display at the PSC stand made me think yet again that I should just bin all the Airfix stuff and go wholly PSC, especially after I looked at the sprues for their 25-pdr and Quad. With their customary generous selection of optional parts, you can build it as a 25-pdr with or without muzzzle brake, or as a 17-pdr Mk II (the one on the 25-pdr carriage), or an 18/25 pounder.

I also managed to manfully resist the temptation to buy any books. My best laugh of the day, though, was provided by the discovery that the Osprey on the SAS was written by James Shortt, a well-known Walt who has made various spurious claims to such things as an Irish noble title and a martial arts black belt, as well as lying like a rug about his imaginary special forces service.

A fun day out, and I congratulate the organisers. In finding my way into the venue I seem to have come in through a side door, so I had to wander around until I could find a steward to direct me to the people who would relieve me of my £6. I gathered that other people had suggested that the signage could do with improvement! Quite a job on such an extensive venue as Newbury racecourse, though. Not having visitied the venue before, I was impressed by it (specifically it is the oddly-named “Dubai Duty Free Stand”). One virtue was the raod signage getting there — merely a question of dropping off the M4, following the signs to Newbury, and the then folowing the little brown horsey signs.

What did anyone else think?

John.

Whirlwind
    Participant

Did “They Come Unseen” look an interesting game?

and how did the 2mm ECW game work at the operational level? What was the ground scale, for instance?

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.