Home Forums WWII Solo Rules

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey all

So, I’m trying to find a good set of rules to play some 10mm company + sized WW2 games. I have IABSM, which I like but I feel they’re a little on the abstract side. I also own Mein Panzer (don’t have the data book) and Schwere Kompanie. I’ve read both a couple times and they seem a little meetier than IABSM.

I prefer a good set of rules for combined arms, but if I were to lean toward one side or the other, I’d prefer beefier tank combat rules. I don’t mind if a game took a couple hours as I have a permanent table.

Anyways, I’d love to hear anyone’s suggestions for a set of rules or if you have any experience in the one’s I’ve listed.

Thanks

Participant

WRG 1925 to 50? Old but still pretty good, and available for free.

https://freewargamesrules.fandom.com/wiki/WRG_Armour_and_Infantry_1925_-_1950

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

Perhaps Poor Bloody Infantry from Peter Pig? It always generates an attacker/defender scenario, so that can make solo play easier. As well, there’s a lot of friction, so that random element will also aid playing alone.

Definitely company level, and definitely combined arms. You do not want tanks operating without infantry in closed terrain.

They’re available as both PDF and hard copy, which is good as if you don’t live in the UK, postage can be quite slow nowadays!

Participant

Good query.  I am thinking that CoC is a little too low level.  Not sure why they might feel ‘abstract’.

What does IABSM cover?

PBI an interesting idea I had not thought of but what troop requirements do you need to fulfil for this?

Is PBI a grid game?

www.olivercromwell.org; www.battlefieldstrust.com
    6mm wargames group: [email protected]; 2mm wargames group: [email protected]

Participant

Yes, PBI is a grid game. Some gamers don’t like that, which I’ve never really understood. But can’t argue against personal preference. The grid system simplifies things and speeds up play. I think there’s an option for measuring everything in units of six inches, but I don’t know how well that would work.

Here’s a link describing the game. https://peterpig.co.uk/infopbi.html

One of my favourite WW2 company level games, although I’ve played a lot more of the old edition.

Participant

Excellent; very helpful review.  It looks like just what I was wanting!  Many thanks for your post.

www.olivercromwell.org; www.battlefieldstrust.com
    6mm wargames group: [email protected]; 2mm wargames group: [email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.