Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Some Napoleonic Miniatures

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bandit
    Participant

We’re in the process of re-doing a bunch of our product photography and I thought it might be neat to show some photos off here.

Austrian Koburg Infantry #22

Austrian Hohenzollern Chevaulégèrs #3

Austrian Broder Grenzers #7 (left) and Peterwardein Grenzers #9 (right)

Prussian Silesian Landwehr

Prussian 6-pdr Foot Artillery

Prussian 6th Neumärk Dragoons (front) and Mecklinburg-Strelitz Hussars (rear)

Prussian Silesian Landwehr Cavalry (front) and 3rd Brandenburg Hussars (rear)

All of these are available in 1:160 scale (aka 10mm) as parts of our ESR Box Sets.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

I saw your post over on TMP and saw you were getting some feedback from a “Real Richard Hensley” of, um, Bulgaria, who insists the Austrians positioned their flag on right flank. I don’t know much about Austrians, but this is counter to everyone else’s practice I am aware of, and I find it hard to credit. Anyone think RRH is serious, or just having a go?
    JG

jeffers
    Participant

No, because my first Austrian units circa 1986 were assembled with the flag on the right. From memory, I think it was from Armies on the Danube. However, a bloke I knew who had far more Nappy knowledge than me said that was nonsense and the flag moved to the right for manoeuvre only; otherwise it stayed central like everybody else’s.

I’m still none the wiser, so my current Austrian infantry carry it centrally because it looks better like that!

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

. I’m still none the wiser, so my current Austrian infantry carry it centrally because it looks better like that!

And THAT is the way it should be!  Wonderful collection you have!

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

How do you make those wonderful stone bases, might I ask?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Bandit
    Participant

Jonathan – No idea, this was the first I’d heard of it and while it isn’t insane, when asked for a source he directed us to “a few English language works” and an 1808 publication that no on is likely to have access to. I find the topic interesting so I’d like to find out more about it, but it seems odd that it is so unheard of.

jeffers – Really? Armies on the Danube? Wonder where they pulled it from, have to take a look at that.

Thaddeus Blanchette – Honestly, it is acrylic paint (very dark brown) mixed into plaster/joint compound, like the stuff you’d use on dry wall in your house. Mix it well until it looks like a chocolate milkshake color, smear it onto the base, let it dry. Once dry it will be *drastically* lighter, so run a dark wash over it, even a black wash will likely be fine (that is what we use), then dab some glue on and flock as desired.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Lovely stuff!  Better than most 15mm and some 28mm! 🙂

Re Austrian flags – I inherited a large Austrian SYW army with all the flags posted on the right flank.  My mate’s dead now, so I can’t ask him why he did them that way, but he’d organised the army using a stack of books that I loaned him!  Having looked through, I found a reference to the flags being carried by a battalion’s 1st company, which in column would take post at the front and in line would take post on the right.  However, I would have assumed that the colour-party would break off from the company when forming line and take post in the centre (like everyone else)?

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

jeffers
    Participant

Bandit – it’s the Bowden/Tarbox book. It could have been something by Gunther Rothenberg, though. I can be excused: it was over 30 years ago!

To complete my Napoleonic heresy, my Grenadiers carry a Leibfahne and my line regiments only carry an Ordinarfahne. The yellow breaks up the white a bit… And to totally blow the button counter mind, the few 10mm I have have both flags in the same unit.

I’m a very naughty boy…

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Very beautiful minis.  Truly was a time when there was a pageantry of colorful uniforms!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Bandit
    Participant

jeffers – I’ve got a copy of that and will see when I have time if I can find anything there.

Jemima Fawr – Thank you! And what you found about the Austrian flags actually begs a question: If it was generally placed with the 1st Company on the march, did people then presume it stayed with the 1st Company when forming other formations other than a march column? Thus leading to a false assumption that it was always placed to the right? Or is this immaterial and something else drives the idea?

Darkest Star Games – Thank you!

And for all, here is the Russian Yekaterioslav Cuirassier Regiment (after being dull seal coated, i.e. actually finished):

Cheers,

The Bandit

Bandit
    Participant

French 7eme, 23eme, 28eme Dragons

Cheers,

The Bandit

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Bandit,

I think it may be a bit of both.  I’ve got a nagging suspicion that I’ve also read that nugget about the colours being posted on the right of the line, but I strongly suspect that it might have come from a misunderstanding of the original drill regulations.  I’ll have a look back through the books to see what I can dig up.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.