Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi The Unnamed Legion (3mm scale Epic Armageddon "Heresy" Proxies)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Wouldn’a you know it? 😉

Participant

I do like the O8 offerings, as well. They make very good “old school” Imperial Army forces, and the line seems to be moving stylistically in a very nice direction.

Participant

The force is growing, approaching battle readiness…

Terminators and Sicaran Battle Tanks.  Note the Terminator Chaplain front right.

Rhinos and a lone prototype Land Raider.  I’m considering painting the central frame of the Land Raider with a black scheme, but I fear it may be too hard a contrast.

Not there yet, but getting closer.

Participant

Hmmm. How about a pale orange frame?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

Possibly – the colors might clash, but I’m not averse to “breaking the rules” of the so-called official color schemes, having already skewed the color towards blue-green from pure green simply because I like the blue-green better.  Maybe something less in opposition, purple for example… hmm.  Or maybe I’m just overthinking it again. 😉

Participant

I saw some Sicarrans on the ‘net that were a dirty cream. Really nice!

Participant

New Imperial Guard proxies from O8!

Participant

We now have a hell of a lot of proxies for a fantasy WWI as well. Wish we could get some Quar in 3mm.

Participant

3mm Quar would be freaking amazing.

Participant

And what’s worse: you can’t really proxy them. Even at 3mm, they are notably different from human beings.

Participant

Well I got knocked flat on my tuckus by something approximating a viral flu, so I took the whole weekend for stress-free activity.  Painting seemed good, albeit at a very slow pace.

I figured that the Sons of Horus are nearing completion here so the time was right to start up an opposing force.  While the Sons of Horus struggle to liberate the citizens of the Imperium from their enslavement to the False Emperor, the misguidedly fanatical Imperial Fists seemed an appropriate opponent, especially since I want to run a lot of battles in the Solar System (notably, Titan, Io, Enceladus, Ganymede Mars and Venus).

Here’s their first Fellblade SHT.  The color matchup feels very striking and I like it!

Note two detachments of plain vanilla SoH Tactical Marines in the background.  The Vanguard infantry casts are without a doubt the best at this scale that I’ve ever seen.

Aww, I always liked the Imperial Fists. Their relative plainness, straightforward fluff and innocently uncool colour scheme makes them feel humble and simpatico to me, in a setting where most other legions/chapters seem hell-bent on making a “statement”. I don’t think I approve of this vilification of them 

Participant

😀

As the fellow says, “Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon your point of view.”  I like the Fists, too, for much the same reason.  They’re  Marines’ Marines.  Very straightforward and unpretentious.  Also un-Emo, in contrast to the Angels, both Blood and Dark.  Which both have their charm, but hey.

Participant

I am going to have to wait until May to pick up my Vanguard stuff, alas. 🙁 I will get going on my O8 Eldar very soon, however.

Participant

They undoubtedly look very good, I feel that I’ll have to start another 3mm army soon.. 🙂

Participant

Hey, Mat! Do you have any ideas for Eldar titan proxies? Garuda bots from Infinity make good Phantoms, but what about Renevants? Have you seen anything?

Participant

By the way, pricing out the stuff I’m buying, it looks like I will be able to field 7000 points of Eldar for around 60 USD.

Participant

I’ll be honest I haven’t given it much thought, as I’m focused mainly on the Imperial Civil War. But I think the mecha from 15mm.co.uk or whoever they sell through now, though challenging builds, would be great as Eldar mega-titans of some sort. I seem to think there were some medium-sized mecha out there from a KS recently but their name escapes me.

Participant

The “Warmachine” line seems to have a suitable set of arcane elven mecha that could stand some modding for use as larger Titan types.

Also the 15mm mecha I had in mind are the Tavshar Archons from Loud Ninja Games – with Alternative Armies and their affiliates changing hands in so many permutations I’m not sure how to get them at the moment.

Participant

The Tavshar is tasty, but huge (50mm) and expensive (20 pounds).

I like it though!

Thanks for reminding me of Warmachine! The Aspis looks like it could work:

Likewise the Chimera…

I need some Renevants, though. I am thinking, 25-30mm high.

Participant

Couldn’t you use GW Wraith guard? I think they are about 30mm high, and definitely looks the part in 3mm/6mm?

Participant

The not rhino, if it is the 6mm version scaled down, is heavily based on the FV432 APC.

Participant

Yeah, I thought about the wraithguard, Alexander. Also, maybe, Epic Eldar Dradnoughts? The problem is that they are TOO Eldar. They might clash with O8’s “not Eldar” style.

Participant

You might make the Garudas your Revenant proxy and the Dakinis your Phantoms. (Infinity ALEPH line is what I’m referring to here.)

I can state that the proxy Imperial Titans from Vanguard look like they’ll range between 30 and 60mm tall in “true” scale so you might want to bear that in mind. I’m not certain (and Vanguard could comment better than I) but I think a bulkier and more heavily armored version of the Leviathan may be in the works which would be a closer Warlord proxy. I’m already looking at ways to mod a 6mm scale Leviathan for a less campy version of an Imperator mega-Titan.

Food for thought anyway.

Participant

I like the Dakini and Garuda idea, but aren’t they almost the same size?

Participant

Ô rage! Ô désespoir! Who will oppose this tide of heresy? The Titan Legions, of course! From their bases on Venus, the Legio Ultor stirs to the defense of Mankind!

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Those 6mm stalkers make GREAT Reavers. How do they scale with the proper Not-Warlords at 3mm?</p>

Participant

I don’t have one yet, but soon! I want to get one of the 6mm scale ones as a mega-Titan, too – it would likely utterly dwarf the 3mm scale ones.

Incidentally, for those who follow 40K canon, I’m no longer considering my “rebel” marines as Sons of Horus, but as something else… the “Unnamed Legion,” perhaps the effaced II Legion, rumored to have been named the “Hands of Fate” or “Stormbringers.” Were they actually rebels? Did they turn on the Empire before the Heresy even began? Or did they perhaps turn, and then repent? Was there some genetic experiment they embodied that went horribly wrong? What became of them in the confused fighting of the 30100s AD? Nobody really knows…

Which is to say I basically picked teal blue and black as colors because I like them and, not finding a Heresy Legion to match, am making one up as I go along because damn if I’m repainting them because GW tells me to!

Participant

Finally had a break in the humidity after about six weeks and have assembled and primed the entirety of a Vanguard 3mm scale Army Deal.  It provides enough tanks and infantry to lavishly outfit two full forces of Marines, and although the infantry basing, being somewhat more complex, will have to take its time, the tanks are definitely underway.  Though I teeter on the edge of doing a Blood Angels army (simply because, way back in the Beforetime, it was an article in White Dwarf about an Epic BA army that first turned me on to Epic), I feel like plowing forward with either the Imperial Fists, or the Reasonable Marines (with camouflage, seen elsewhere on the forum here). Hard to say.  Maybe I’ll do both.  Or all three.  After all 3mm scale is pretty darn cheap.

Participant

I’m still planning on doing the Suns of Horz.

Participant

Yeah I’m coming back to the Sons of Horace myself. Who says they can’t be aqua blue in my world?

Participant

The Unnamed Legion is definitely the Sons of Horus.  Finally I have a good photo to show that they really are blue-green and not just blue.  To my eye anyway.  And I just want them to be.

Finally had a little time to put in on these guys.  I like them.

Participant

Very nice! If you want the blue-green to “glow” more, experiment with bright blue-green highlights instead of pale blue. Might trick the eye into seeing more blure-green.

Participant

So these projects come and go – nearly EVERY project was in the “go” category over the last year when I was working 60-70 hours a week, commuting four hours a day, and spending most weekends in my studio.  But with a new job, a new perspective, and a new lease on personal life, this one popped into my mind, so I brought it to the front of my table.

My main task here was re-labeling the bases. The original labels were a) too dark to read in game conditions; b) too fragile to handle, and c) susceptible to wear and flaking with only a very modest amount of handling.  You can already see the edges of the Terminator bases on the previous post starting to chip and turn white, and that was just from cutting them out and gluing them on the base.  I found this all incredibly disappointing.  So all the minis I’d done so far got a graphics makeover which I like a LOT more.  And I also found a solution to the flaking and wear problem that had been staring me in the face: I print the labels out, just on regular bright white paper, then immediately cover them with heavy-duty high-adhesive transparent packing tape.  This seals the toner down, increases the durability of the labels for cutting, and leaves the backs exposed so they can still be attached to the base with plain white glue.  I’m supremely pleased with the outcome, especially since it didn’t require any special equipment or preparation, and actually, for some reason, seems to make the labels more clean and vibrant than previously.

Participant

Great work , I have loved the Horus Heresy since the beginning and used to have hundreds of Epic models, if not thousands but I sold them all off.

I have been looking at Vanguard for some time and your posts are definitely pushing me towards the purchasing point….thank you

Do you have a blog?

Participant

They are looking fantastic, simply gorgeous 🙂

Participant

Wonderful works as usual, a treat to view.

Participant

Mat is the shizz when it comes to 3mm!

Participant

Never too late to come back to a fun project! Basing is the most rewarding yet laborious part of how I do my 3mm figures, especially the infantry. But in the end this scheme, as I’ve developed it, is the one I’m most consistently happy with.

This weekend, trying to cool my brains after a really horrible and hectic couple of days, I finally finished off my two full detachments of Tactical marines, who take their place next to Armored Support, Whirlwinds, and (not yet shown) Marine Aviation in the form of Xiphon interceptors ready to dive into the atmosphere from their orbiting carriers to strike at the corrupt Imperial forces whose betrayal of Humanity threatens all of civilization.

Participant

Looking really good!

The informational basing is a highlight that lifts the whole look of the units. Reminds me of the old System 7 Napoleonic game with informational counters for the various formations, I always thought wacking some 6mm figures on them could look good.

Fossilizing nicely.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 208 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.