Home Forums WWII Sound of the Guns. Nuts! Blood on the Risers solo game.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    whitphoto
    Participant

My platoon advances towards Saint Mere Eglise during the night in my second game of Blood on the Risers. I’m starting to get the hang of the solo game.

http://www.addictedtolead.net/2020/02/10/sound-of-the-guns-nuts-blood-on-the-risers-solo-mission/

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Good game, especially since you had no permanent casualties!  Most people really underestimate the value of an LMG for suppressing the enemy and allowing for other units to maneuver in and eliminate them, very glad to see you “do it right”.

I thought I had put in advice for arming dudes that begin a scenario with no weapons with scavenged friendly weapons (not enemy), but it appears to not have made it in.  Basically as you said, they were to be armed with a single Out Of Ammo worth of usage as the weapons would have been considered to have been grabbed quickly from the incapacitated.  However, a friendly soldier with the same type of weapon would be able to transfer ammo when they ran dry after base-to-base contact and no further action that turn.

Should have been another that about enemy weapons being used if acquired during the game.  Roll 1d6: 1-3 weapon useless for some reason, 4-5 usable but with 1 OOA usage, 6 fully usable.  However, enemy weapons cannot be carried over into the next battle.

Historically, even in desperate times Airborne troops did their best to not use enemy weapons, both because they were not familiar with their aiming and operating idiosyncrasies (which could prove deadly in the heat of combat) and because they were well trained to fire on the sound of enemy weapons (which could also prove VERY deadly in combat).  One of the D-day vets I interviewed before writing the book told me he had a buddy that lost an arm while using an MG42 during a small action when he was fired upon by a friendly BAR by accident.  Case of mistaken identity due to weapon usage.

But as we say at THW: “It’s your game, play it your way!”

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Anecdotal side-note on grenades: a friend who is an E-8 in the Army was told me that this current generation of young soldiers are really bad at throwing grenades, and this has been noticed for the last 10 years or so.  After careful study the Army believes that though video games have increased situational awareness abilities and some hand-eye coordination improvements, the lack of outdoor sports enthusiasm has lead to poor throwing ability.  Seems our troops historically played much more football, baseball and softball “back when”, but much less starting in the early 2000’s.  I guess dad’s just don’t play catch with the kids anymore…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Gone Fishing
    Participant

I don’t play Nuts! (though I do play other THW titles) but have nonetheless found your reports very interesting. Inspirational, in fact! I’ll look forward to the next installment.

Fascinating anecdotes, DSG!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.