Home Forums Air and Sea Naval South American Ironclads

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Jim Jackaman Jim Jackaman 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MattH
    MattH
    Participant

I bought these 1/2400 Tumbling Dice ships a while back out of curiosity and just got round to painting them.

Argentinian coast defence battleships La Plata and Los Andes:

And the Brazilian coast defence ships Javary and Solimoes:

Also, some shore batteries in both grassy and deserty versions. They’re supposed to be ACW but I reckon they’ll have all kinds of uses:

• This topic was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by MattH MattH. Reason: added tags

Thomaston
    Participant

Cool, are you going to get more of these?

Life's too long.

McKinstry
    Participant

Nice. What rules are you using?

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

Cool, are you going to get more of these?

If there were any more I would. There were only 2 each of these classes, and TD don’t do any other Brazilian or Argentinian ships. I’m not quite sure why they’re in the catalogue to be honest, but I love obscure ships!

Nice. What rules are you using?

Good question, I’m not sure yet. They’re not going to be a good match if put up against each other, so I expect I’ll be devising some kind of alt-history scenario where Argentina and Brazil are allied against a small British squadron of late 1870s ships. I’d like to use Dahlgren & Columbiad, but they only cover armour thicknesses up to 6″, so I don’t think they’re going to work. I’ve actually found Fire When Ready to be good at handling late period ironclads. They’re designed for pre-dreadnoughts really, but they include stats for older ‘obsolete’ weapons, so if you just apply the -2 gunnery modifier for having no rangefinders to all the ships, they seem to work ok.

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Those look splendid☺. I really like the TD models and you’ve done a great job.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.