Home Forums Modern Soviet Fire Can and Flap Wheel Radar Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    irishserb
    Participant

I was considering making a radar vehicle for Soviet S-60 57mm AA guns, and found that either a SON9 Fire Can or SON50 Flap Wheel would do.  In my photo searches, I’m finding the same photos shown for both vehicles.  I’m pretty sure that most, if not all are actually the Fire Can, a  pretty simple 4 wheeled trailer with a smallish circular dish on top.  Does anyone know if the Flap Wheel is similar, or what it looks like otherwise?  Also what would have towed the fire can ( or Flap Wheel assuming it was towed) around?

Thanks,

irishserb

John D Salt
    Participant

Of the FC radars associated with S-60, SON-4 and SON-9 are towed equipments copied from US lend-lease kit, and seem to look pretty smilar, but SON-50 is vehicle mounted.

http://users.sch.gr/dlabaditis/TH/radars/index.htm says:

SON-4, “Whiff”, SCR-584 copy. “Dish is placed on the back of the roof. Wheel arches running the full width of the caravan near the rear of the caravan”.

SON-9, “Fire Can”. “Different dishes: 5,7,10 spokes & solid. Dish is placed on the front of the roof. Cut-out type wheel arches right at the rear of the caravan.”

SON-50 (RPK-1), “Flap Wheel”, picture shows a solid dish radar on top of a truck body on what looks like an Ural-375 chassis. Googling RPK-1 gets several piccies.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=163 says the towing vehicle for S-60 and associated FC equipment was Ural-375.

All the best,

John.

irishserb
    Participant

Oh, outstanding, many thanks!!

John D Salt
    Participant

<Mode = Sirius Cybernetics Corp GPP Door>
    Glad to be of service!
    </Mode>

All the best,

John.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.