Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Spaceship Terrain

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Lads

We tried out some new rules last week , FTL , a cool spaceship combat game  ( https://www.onepagerules.com/games/grimdark-future-ftl).

The rules were excellent, and we had a blast, but we had a lovely gaming mat, well painted miniatures , but only some crappy B&W print outs of asteroids for terrain.

What do people use for terrain in space games ?

We want to be able to use asteroid fields, nebula, debris fields etc. I have nice colourful 2D neoprene for fantasy & historical but cant find anything for deep space.

Phil

Today is a good day to diet

Participant

I don’t have anything at my house to show, but the asteroids were easy enough with some blue/pink foam spray painted (it was actually good that the propellent dissolved the surface a little) then drybrushed and plunked on a black flight stand.  Super easy!

Debris can be a little tougher, depending upon the destroyed ships being depicted, but wire and flotsam from the bitsbox are your friend!

Planets can also easily be done with styrofoam sphere halves.  Cheap too!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I need to get some photos taken but I’ve found that small lava rocks you can buy at a hardware or gardening store on a simple base work very well.

Pingpong balls with a little texturing could work as moons or planets. Maybe cotton balls dyed in red or blue could be used as dust clouds?

Participant

Pumice stone (for exfoliating). No the expensive stuff on ropes etc – get the cheap end of bin – these were/are 50p each. As is or spray painted and dry brushed.

Participant

For planets, or moons or suns, we just used the large styrofoam balls you can buy in crafting stores.  Cut them in half, so that the equator sits on the table.  Cover them with a thin layer of plaster or something, so that the primer doesn’t dissolve the styrofoam.  You can also add a little bit of texture, or craters and other interesting planetary bits.

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important;”>

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>Pumice stone (for exfoliating). No the expensive stuff on ropes etc – get the cheap end of bin – these were/are 50p each. As is or spray painted and dry brushed.

Really like the look of those.

Participant

I really like the idea of texturing the planets.

Participant

I like this idea, Tony. But I must admit I prefer the whole planet instead of cutting the foam ball in half. Of course, using your way gives you twice the terrain. Lol. Full disclosure: I didn’t make these. They are from the internet and the planets look stunning.

Before everyone suggested foam balls I was thinking bowling or basket balls, but foam is a lot lighter.

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Doubling the amount of terrain does indeed appeal to my thrifty nature Ralph!  But in a more prosaic note, not only is it more stable, but depending on the rules used, it’s a lot easier to measure orbits around it.</p>
    Can’t take credit for this idea, which will surprise no one who knows me.  But that said, might also be interesting to add an asteroid belt around the planet as a ring (which is apparently more common around gas giants than previously thought, or a dynamic orbital ring that, when hit, dissolves into an asteroid belt as centrifugal forces tear it apart, or a space debris ring composed of broken satellites, spent boosters, nuts, bolts and various man made detritus that we are currently constructing around our own planet.

Participant

An asteroid belt around a planet would look very good, although I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone do one of those yet.  I imagine clear bases would be essential, and something to hold all of it together so you can move it as one piece making it easy to setup and remove.

Participant

I love the idea of an asteroid belt/ debris field orbiting a planet.  Maybe stuck onto a clear plastic circle that the planet can sit on. ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.