Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Spanish ship "Rayo" up on the blog.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Brian Weathersby Brian Weathersby 5 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Since I am working on finishing up my Spanish fleet for Trafalgar, here’s the latest Spanish ship. Rayo was an 80-gun ship of the line that was converted to a 100 gunner from 1803-1805. For pictures, drop by the blog at:
    https://mymodelsailingships.blogspot.com

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Thomaston
    Participant

I’m amazed by your attention to detail. I didn’t know you threaded those lines. Simply gluing them would have been impressive already. And I did notice the port covers were red.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That is some amazing work, holy smokes!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Kudos.

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Thanks guys.  I readily admit that my ships are something about which I’m rather vain.

Thomaston:  Threading the lines like I do does make the rigging a little more complicated.  It’s not an original idea; I actually got it from the Langton’s book on painting and rigging their models.  Interlocking the rigging like that does provide one MASSIVE advantage to the models.  That advantage is: If the model is dropped or the masts are bent out of shape, doing the standing rigging in this fashion actually permits it to work as advertised.  That is, moving one of the bent masts will move the others back into rough alignment as well.  There’s no need to ask how I know this. . . . 🙄😭

EDIT:  The edges of the gunports are red, which means the interior portion of the port is red.  The exterior portion of the port lid would be yellow, just like the sides of the ship.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Brian Weathersby Brian Weathersby. Reason: Additional info

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Volunteer
    Volunteer
    Participant

Great looking ship Brian. I will be looking for the same issues with the resin hull I have. Thanks for pioneering the way for us.

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Vol.,

Something I saw in the model doesn’t seem to come through in the photos.  In the white, parts of the bulwarks looked a bit, um, “blotty” for want of a better word.  You could see areas where it looked like there were differing pieces of resin in the ship itself.  I don’t really know how to explain it in a way that makes sense.

One thing I found especially interesting is that, in the pictures of the broken bulwark, the resin is clearly gray.  It was white when I painted it.  I didn’t know resin was so porous as to absorb colors like that.  I’m assuming that the black paint soaked into the resin, turning it gray, as it seems to be the only thing that would explain that.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.