Home Forums General Blogs Speed Painted Late Romans

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

In a few weeks I will be entering The Analogue Hobbies Painting challenge with a Thematic Byzantine army that I’m putting together. Before the event, I thought it prudent to slay the demons of the Varnishing Disaster nightmare which stopped me in my tracks in last year’s challenge after prepping hundreds of Late Roman miniatures!

I’m not really happy with the painting style on these miniatures so will be selling them. Not yet as I have another 8 of the Late Roman Celtae Seniores Auxillia Palatinum (Infantry) to complete first. Unfortunately there will be no more cavalry models as the first six were ruined by the varnish from last year.

They will be appearing in the Bazaar for sale when the last eight miniatures are complete.

Celtae Seniores Auxillia Palatinum

#

Cataphracts/Clibanarii:

Keymaster

Oh no what happened?
    Varnish went all white and icky?

Participant

Oh no what happened? Varnish went all white and icky?

No, the miniature above are fine. 

To cut a long story short, there was a W&N Pro Varnish drought last year and out of desperation I opted to buy from Pendraken after being promised by them vie email ( which I still have) their varnish was a dead flat matt- it was not- it was glossy- I then tried to matt is down with what I had available and the matt ate into the gloss and resulted in a lot of chemical reaction which ruined the miniatures! I was a little more than hopping mad!

It was the first six Cataphracts that were ruined. The back ranks are to be seen above.

Keymaster

Bloody hell that sucks.

Participant

Bloody hell that sucks.

Yeah, it did, was a year ago and I’m over it now 🙂

Participant

Beautiful.

Participant
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.