Home Forums General Books and Magazines Spellcaster magazine – any good?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I stumbled across this PDF publication while browsing unrelated stuff on Wargame Vault. It’s the official magazine for Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago.

I’m trying to cut back on frivolous PDF purchases right now, so to that end, does anyone know what the content in Spellcaster is like? I’m only mildly interested in Frostgrave or Ghost Archipelago as game systems, but if there’s an adequate amount of general inspiration for fantasy gaming (including eye candy) in there, I’d rather not miss out on it even if it does happen to be couched in content for non-generic game systems.

The pricing level suggests a “professional” magazine with quality content. Or maybe it’s just overpriced for what it is? I’m curious to know before buying a test issue or two.

Ruarigh
    Participant

I have all the Spellcaster magazines because I play Frostgrave and Rangers of Shadow Deep. The content is generally new scenarios and new character types. It’s good quality but I am not sure I would want it if I did not play Frostgrave or RoSD. You might adapt the scenarios to other rules systems easily enough, but I figure there are enough free sources for scenarios that you would want to spend your money on other things instead.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    https://roderickdale.co.uk/

Duncan Allen
    Participant

I have the first 5 issues and I think it is pretty good value for money but it is very focused on Frostrgrave and its offspring games. The pictures are nice but probably not worth the price on their own.

I think the articles are quite good and there are probably a lot of ideas that could be used elsewhere but nothing earth-shaterring.  The writing itself is generally quite readable.

I would suggest buying one of the more recent ones and seeing for yourself

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.