Home Forums General General Spoilt Brat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

So, I can be impatient at times and last week I needed some Green Stuff quick sharp.

So rather than mail order some and wait say just three or four days for it to arrive, I hopped in the car and drove to GW to pay twice as much to get in NOW!!

This was last week.

I have only just opened it…

Am I alone in this type of behaviour?

Rhoderic
    Participant

Friend, you are a paragon of enterprise and money-husbandry compared to me. Just as one example, last year I spent well over £100 on paints alone, and that’s only counting the paints which are specifically for miniatures (Vallejo, P3, Coat d’Arms, Army Painter, etc). 80% of them I’ve hardly used at all so far, I just felt like I’d rather have them than not have them. Honestly, I turned slightly obsessive about “collecting” paints for a while there. I was especially looking for the perfect skintone paints, which I never found and ended up having to mix for myself in the end. I also seem to have developed a strange desire to own at least a few paints of every notable brand just so I can pretend to be well-versed in these sorts of things. I still don’t have any Reaper Master Series paints (which seem to be very common in North America but rare in the UK and here in the rest of Europe) and I can’t seem to let go of that niggling little fact, even though I absolutely do not need any more paints.

And that’s just one example. There’s many other things besides paints that I’m a total spoilt brat about.

willz
    Participant

No Mike you are not, I do believe in hobby purchase husbandry but if I want an item that at the time seems essential I will buy it.  Much like you a car or bus journey too buy an item that waiting a few days most probably I could buy cheaper but sometimes its the thrill of the chase.  Some times luck intervenes, early last month I needed some super glue (strange I ran out) I could have picked some up at Trago mills the following week for £1 but no I had to go into the village and pay £2.50 for the same item, however as I passed a charity shop I saw “GW Hero quest” for sale and bought it for a couple of quid (mint condition).

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I’ve just paid a quid for two Li-ion button batteries at Screwfix instead of buying 10 cheap Chinese knockoffs from Ebay for £2.75.

Does that count? 🙂

"I'm not signing that"

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I am guilty, though I tend to buy models and figures immediately upon seeing them for projects that I know I won’t get to for 2-4 years…  I have driven to the hobby shop to get an Osprey or Squadron book for twice as much because I heard it was out, but that was more to support the shop than for immediate gratification.  And that’s the story I’m sticking to!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Guy Farrish
    Participant

I’m not sure the story is  about ‘immediate gratification’ – might be senility creeping in? ‘I know I bought something. Now where did I put it?’

On that note, at the weekend I found a box with three DBA armies in the attic. Two were painted and based and I remember playing with them. The other was still in bags from a well known (and still trading) 15mm figure company. I had bought all three in a deal, mail order, 25 years ago. I opened the bags and found that I was the proud recipient of an extra pike unit but missing an Ax unit. Is it too late to ask for a refund/the missing figures do you think?

Oh, and Mike…it is just you really, they’re just being nice. Terrible character trait.

Angel Barracks

Oh, and Mike…it is just you really, they’re just being nice. Terrible character trait

Thought as much…

McKinstry
    Participant

Sadly I have repeated similar behavior including once driving to a store on the south side of Atlanta (when I lived in the far north side – 104 mile round trip) for a select set of paint colors that I just had to have.  My only justification was I did it because I could.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Oh, and Mike…it is just you really, they’re just being nice. Terrible character trait.

Oh you caught me, I’m actually shocked and dismayed by Mike’s profligate squandering ways, and I thought it would spare him some distress to remain ignorant of the fact he’s going straight to Hell.

If I remember my Dante, miniature wargamers’ Hell is a place that looks like your own house except you have to keep looking for Green Stuff for all eternity because you’re sure you’ve got some in the back of some drawer but can never actually find it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Rhoderic.
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

That means I’ve already died and this is…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.