Home Forums General General Spray varnish

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by willz willz 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Steve63
    Participant

I’m colouring in some Gaesatae, naked Celtic warriors.  Rather than using paint for the swirly war paint and shield patterns I bought a set of coloured, fine line Sharpies and used them and I must say that I am rather pleased with the results.  Unfortunately the Sharpies are not as colour fast as I thought they were and the colours “bleed” when I try to paint or wash over the swirlies.  To get around this I want to try Matt Spray varnish over them to “seal” the Sharpie, then hopefully I can finish them.

The problem is I have had numerous problems in the past with spray varnish frosting, so much so that I stopped using sprays and now just brush on varnish.  I still have some of the cans of varnish in the garage but I can’t bring myself to chance it with the cans I have.

So my question is what is the best Matt varnish available in the UK to use and do you have any tips to prevent the varnish frosting?

Cheers

Stuart Farquhar "Stuart Farquhar"
    Pepe "Stupid what?"

Geof Downton
    Geof Downton
    Participant

This stuff:

http://www.winsornewton.com/uk/shop/oils-solvents-mediums-and-varnishes/artists-matt-varnish-5-07-us-fl-oz-150ml-can-3034981

Two light coats, about an hour apart. Never had a problem with frosting. Not sure how it is on Sharpie, but I’ve found it OK on fineliner drawing pen.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Patrice
    Patrice
    Participant

I heard that varnish frosting may be related to humidity in the room atmosphere. And I live in Brittany…

I do what a friend advised me to do, I use a hair dryer (not hot, cool air is sufficient) on the figures immediately just after every spray. Varnish spray, hair dryer, turn figures 1/4 turn or 1/3 turn, varnish spray, hair dryer, etc. Never had a problem of frosting.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    http://www.anargader.net/

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

I’d agree with Geof’s recommendation for a clear spray sealant.  But…

The issue with the ink is a chemical thing.  You need to know what will put the ink into solution, and what will not.  I would e-mail the manufacturer of the pens, and ask what they recommend you use to seal the ink.  Then I would test spraying their recommendation on some of the ink located on something (create a test sample with your miniatures paint on a similar surface to your miniatures)  other than your miniatures, then spray it with the Windsor and Newton stuff suggested above.

Best of luck, and please share your results.

Steve63
    Participant

@ Geof Downton, after I saw your post I hot footed to The Range and got myself a can.  I sprayed one figure from the 20 I have ready, the figure I picked was one of the first I’d used the Sharpies on and it also had blue, black and red on it, the 3 colours I’d used.  I stood  in the kitchen with the back door open pointing the can out the door and sprayed.  I did it like this because it was far to cold today to spray outdoors, I can’t spray indoors as I don’t have anywhere suitable and the garage, my location of choice was even colder than out side.  The blue and the black were fine but the red ran, this didn’t surprise me as I’d had a problem with it running previously.  As you can see below, the red is a chequer board pattern, I did this by drawing the pattern in pencil and colouring in the red squares, then I used a sheet of moist kitchen roll with a little washing up liquid to remove the pencil marks, this had worked fine with the blue and black but it smudged the red.  I had tried to clean up the smudges with paint but the red just bled through the white paint.

After the varnish dried I worked the figure up and everything was fine, I touched up the white with paint, applied Army Painter washes and did a little bit of highlighting.  The AP washes had removed almost all of the Sharpie swirlies before I’d varnished the figures.

@patrice I have suspected for some time that temperature and humidity are contributing factors to varnish frosting and I was told to do the hairdryer trick by a guy in the local GW when I bought the last can of spray varnish, the first time I did it worked fine but the second time it frosted.

@irishserb As I have said above I’ve only used blue, black and red up to now on the 20 figures I’ve started.  I’ve got 200-300 of the little buggers to paint and I intend to do a colour test on the rest of the Sharpie colours.  I will probably use more paint on the next batch.

Here’s a picture of the finished figure, I don’t expect to win any prizes for the paintwork, this is a table top quality job and the Sharpies were supposed to speed things up .  Overall I’m still happy with the results and I fully intend to carry on using the sharpies, just maybe not so much red.

Cheers

Stuart Farquhar "Stuart Farquhar"
    Pepe "Stupid what?"

willz
    willz
    Participant

Don’t use spray varnish use Daler – Rowney acrylic matt varnish, stir well each time before use.  Place a small amount on a clear mixing lid, apply small amount on brush and brush thin coats insure you apply thinly.  Works every time for me, I never use the last 20% at the bottom of the bottle.  I use this for terrain varnishing.

https://www.jacksonsart.com/daler-rowney-acrylic-medium-soluble-matt-varnish-75ml-ship-by-road-only

This is the only way I have found to make sure you don’t get the clouding effect, by using spray varnish you put to many variables into the equation.  Using spray in the UK you only have a window between May and September when the weather is temperate outside those months the temperature is to variable and this will have a drastic effect on spray varnish.  Of course I am assuming you are spraying outside or in a well ventilated garage.

Happy gaming and varnishing.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by willz willz.
    Geof Downton
    Geof Downton
    Participant

Works every time for me

On Sharpie?

willz
    willz
    Participant

Works every time for me

On Sharpie?

My bad I thought Sharpie was a form of Napoleonic figure,

What is it then?

willz
    willz
    Participant

Doh you mean the pens.

I have used this method on ink pens and sharpies all I did was leave the figures to dry in the hot sun for several days or on a warm radiator for several days and apply thin coats.

Geof Downton
    Geof Downton
    Participant

I’ll have to give it a go. I’ve only succeeded in making a smeary mess, despite thinking it was dry. I usually use W&N brush on varnish, so I’ll try it thin and if it fails have a go with the D-R stuff.

Thanks!

willz
    willz
    Participant

On a note on chemical reaction as Irish Serb mentions, when it comes to using matt varnish I have had problem with Caesar 20mm plastic figures, love them and they are joy to paint.  However I have found that I varnish them, they dry matt and then several months later the varnish turns gloss?  I have tried lots of different undercoats, acrylic, enamel but none work.  So maybe the same might happen with sharpies dries matt then turns to gloss??????.

I do not varnish any Caesar figures anymore.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.