Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games General Squad Hammer Core is available

This topic contains 29 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Mark75 2 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/263940/Squad-Hammer-Core

Welcome to Squad Hammer Core!

What is Squad Hammer?

It’s a narrative driven miniatures game where you decide what the limits are, not the game.

Grab your favorite miniatures and get playing. Whether you like space fantasy or brutal, historical warfare, Squad Hammer is with you all the way.

We believe that game rules should support you, not be something you struggle against.

What is Core?

Core is a lean, lightning fast version of the Squad Hammer rules.

Focusing on giving you just the essentials to play a battle, you won’t be bogged down in dozens of rules to remember. Instead, we start with the base engine and let you build on top of it.

Is this a complete game?

Squad Hammer Core is a “Mini” miniatures game, offering all the rules required to move, fight at range and close combat, the order system and so on, along with story seeds and suggestions.

It does not have all the “chrome” you’d expect from a much bigger game such as complex scenario rules or lists of special powers. That’s why it’s called Core!

On top of that, we’ve fine-tuned the Squad Hammer rules to be razor sharp. Opposed close combat rolls, simpler regrouping rules and revamped orders sit alongside with almost every aspect of play being polished off.

This isn’t just the old rulebook with half the pages removed. Everything has been revisited and reviewed and is accompanied with gorgeously painted miniatures and terrain images to get you inspired.

Core is perfect for players who want an introductory game, who enjoy creating their own story around a simple, fast set of rules, people who enjoy a game with finesse (but without the clunk) or gamers just getting started and lacking huge miniatures collections.

You might stick with Core forever or you may upgrade to to the full Squad Hammer rules or one of the historical variants, such as Trench Hammer or October Hammer.

In the future, we will release the Squad Hammer Toolkit, offering a “build your own wargame” approach to miniatures gaming.

Squad Hammer is playable with any miniatures you enjoy, though it is best suited to games that revolve around ranged combat.

Units can be single characters, squads or vehicles.

Figures can be based individually or on troop stands.

All you need is 3-4 units for each player and a handful of six sided dice.

We are offering Core as a Pay What You Want system.

If you are uncertain, download the rules and check it out.

If you enjoy them, come back and pay what you feel is fair.

Any contributions go to support the development of future titles, including the Squad Hammer Toolkit.

“How badly do you want it?”.

Should this version of Squad Hammer generate 500 dollars or more in sales, I will make a version available under the Open Gaming License.

Should it generate a total of 1000 dollars in sales, I will make the Toolkit Pay What You Want as well.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Retroboom
    Retroboom
    Participant

Purchased.

www.RetroBoom.com
    Stafford, Va. Let's play!

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Thanks mate!

Nordic Weasel Games

Retroboom
    Retroboom
    Participant

Jason Smith’s models/tables and photography are pretty excellent. That’s a boon. Also, thats an awesome new logo!

www.RetroBoom.com

Kaptain Kobold
    Kaptain Kobold
    Participant

Bought my copy. Having the original rules gives a nice head-start on adapting things, but from a read through I like the changes; seems a little bit smoother now.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Thank you for the support and I hope so.
    Let me know if you run into trouble.

Nordic Weasel Games

Kaptain Kobold
    Kaptain Kobold
    Participant

One thing I am wondering about in the system is how troops being armoured affects shooting/combat. Sometimes protection seems to be a modifier to the roll to hit and sometimes it’s something which affects the damage roll.

Whilst I know that the rules are designed such that you make your own game, I wondered what the intent was. For example if I have Space Knights in armour, is it better to have the armour giving a -1 to be hit, or have it cause a -1 to damage.

(I can see cover being a minus to hit because of the concealment factor. And I can see high/fanatical morale or pig-headedness maybe reducing damage, since damage reflects a whole range of things. But armour seems to sit in a middle ground.)

jagannath
    Participant

I really like the updates – ‘defend’ is better than the ‘dig in’ houserule I’d knicked off Horizon Wars.

warwell
    warwell
    Participant

Darn! I just picked up the original Squad-Hammer a couple of weeks ago. I guess it’s worthwhile to upgrade.

jagannath
    Participant

One thing I am wondering about in the system is how troops being armoured affects shooting/combat. Sometimes protection seems to be a modifier to the roll to hit and sometimes it’s something which affects the damage roll.

Whilst I know that the rules are designed such that you make your own game, I wondered what the intent was. For example if I have Space Knights in armour, is it better to have the armour giving a -1 to be hit, or have it cause a -1 to damage.

(I can see cover being a minus to hit because of the concealment factor. And I can see high/fanatical morale or pig-headedness maybe reducing damage, since damage reflects a whole range of things. But armour seems to sit in a middle ground.)

I thought ‘armoured’ stepped down the damage dice (from D6 to D3 or D3 to 1) but I haven’t checked that in the newer rules.

I’ve been making unit cards that have a few stat lines – to hit modifiers at various range brackets (split by vs. infantry and vs. vehicles), and the equivalent for when fired upon. I use blank office cards and keep them in a little organiser – took a little bit of work upfront, but makes games super easy to pick up and play now. I also made one for my DUA infantry and vehicles, so I can always reference that (funnily enough, almost none of my units match DUA exactly)

Kaptain Kobold
    Kaptain Kobold
    Participant

I thought ‘armoured’ stepped down the damage dice (from D6 to D3 or D3 to 1) but I haven’t checked that in the newer rules.

The Core rules don’t have much to say regarding armoured vehicles (and don’t cover the stepping-down effect), but that wasn’t really what I’m after. It’s more troops that are ‘hardened’ above the norm, but which aren’t so heavily armoured as  to count as a fully-armoured target. Think Space Marines compared to, say, an Imperial Guardsman; they have some protection, but are still affected by small-arms. Is it better to make them harder to hit, but with them taking the full damage if they are, or have them equally easy to hit as the Guardsmen, but with them taking reduced damage?

Kaptain Kobold
    Kaptain Kobold
    Participant

Darn! I just picked up the original Squad-Hammer a couple of weeks ago. I guess it’s worthwhile to upgrade.

It’s worth getting. Whilst it’s just the core parts of the full-fat Squad Hammer you’ve got, they seem to be cleaner than the original. And you can bolt on bits from the original rules with little difficulty by the looks of it.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

So that’s a great question and it really depends on intent.

You can do damage reductions for particular attack types.
    one of the things that will be in the toolkit is “Damage type”.

So you could have a unit that reduces damage from Small Arms but not from Anti-Tank (for example).

I’d use a hit penalty for units that are particularly good at taking cover from experience etc.
    So Space Marines? Probably not. But (thinking in 40K terms) I might give a hit penalty to space marine scouts or ork kommandos.

That’s just my feeling on the topic though.

Nordic Weasel Games

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

That’s how it’ll work in the “full” toolkit version when we get that done, but for the Core system, I thought it took too much page count to explain for a rule that won’t pop up THAT often.

So we went with a plain “+/- a point or two” for that.

Nordic Weasel Games

Retroboom
    Retroboom
    Participant

Question for the group. What do you play as “concealed”?  And how to you compare concealed vs bad shot?

www.RetroBoom.com

Kaptain Kobold
    Kaptain Kobold
    Participant

Question for the group. What do you play as “concealed”? And how to you compare concealed vs bad shot?

I just go old-school gamer: -1 for soft cover (bushes, rocks and so on), -2 for hard cover (rubble, ruins or light buidings) and -3 for proper hard cover.

Jason Smith
    Participant

Question for the group. What do you play as “concealed”? And how to you compare concealed vs bad shot?

Totally had the same question. It might be an oversight. I don’t know. In play, I counted units IN cover, or touching a linear obstacle as “concealed”, and then everything else (smoke, shooting around cover, intervening terrain, etc.) as “Bad Shot”.

Retroboom
    Retroboom
    Participant

Totally had the same question. It might be an oversight. I don’t know. In play, I counted units IN cover, or touching a linear obstacle as “concealed”, and then everything else (smoke, shooting around cover, intervening terrain, etc.) as “Bad Shot”.

I did exactly the same. Not confusing, I was just curious what other people’s preferences were.

www.RetroBoom.com

Mark75
    Participant

Hi Ivan,
    Does this ruleset support WW2 battles?

Retroboom
    Retroboom
    Participant

Hi Ivan, Does this ruleset support WW2 battles?

Until Ivan can respond… Core is completely generic. It can absolutely be used for WWII, though there is nothing specific to it in the core rules. Just decide how you’d like to stat your units and you’re good. I’m sure Toolkit will have more stuff included that would be helpful to WWII players, though even better will be Hammer Of Democracy, which will be a self-contained WWII version of the Squad Hammer game.

All that said, Core is Pay What You Want, so there’s no reason not to get it and get  head start. Go on, get it!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Retroboom Retroboom.

www.RetroBoom.com

Mark75
    Participant

I already own Five men to Kursk, that I enjoyed a lot, so I wondered about similarities between each other and what’s new on this.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Cheers!

It’s a completely different basis.

Rather than type out a big answer, let me link you to a couple of AAR’s that might illuminate things a bit. If you have specific questions, I’ll be happy to answer them

This one is for the WW1 variant we did

http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com/2018/10/trench-hammer-AAR.html

And this one is the new “Core” rules

http://redplayerone.blogspot.com/2019/01/squad-hammer-core-great-mountain.html

Nordic Weasel Games

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

As to “concealed” vs “bad shot” – to me “concealed” is the specific position of the figures.
    If they are in or directly behind terrain, they are concealed.

Bad Shot captures all the other stuff – I’m shooting through a ruined building, they are DEEP within the terrain feature, there’s a burning tank in the street, I can only see a few grunts out of the squad, the speeder bike is moving at full tilt etc.

Nordic Weasel Games

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

I just go old-school gamer: -1 for soft cover (bushes, rocks and so on), -2 for hard cover (rubble, ruins or light buidings) and -3 for proper hard cover.

Also fine. Target Numbers are wishy-washy for a reason 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Mark75
    Participant

Ian, got it plus hammer of democracy.

warwell
    warwell
    Participant

I just picked it up

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Appreciate your support guys. I hope you enjoy it!

Nordic Weasel Games

Mark75
    Participant

Ivan, I read rules of hammer of democracy once and found them realistic, fun, with enough information. Liked most the support rule, awesome. I think a datasheet with all the useful informations and modifiers could be handy, have you thought to create one?
    Cheers

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Glad you liked it Mark!

The Support rule I am super proud of. It’s not quuuuuite perfect yet, but I think it manages to solve the “support weapons aren’t just bigger guns” problem games can tend to run into.

There will be a full, proper ref sheet, but since the rules are still being developed, I haven’t done one yet. I’ll see what I can do, once the next version is out though.

Nordic Weasel Games

Mark75
    Participant

Deserves to say that, I fully enjoyed five man at kursk also, so I didn’t expect something less.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.