Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games General Squad Hammer variations. Thoughts?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ivan SorensenIvan Sorensen
    Participant

Two requests I’ve gotten emailed is a fantasy version of Squad Hammer as well as a man to man version, focused specifically on skirmishes with single figures.

Thoughts and preferences?

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Coyotepunc
    Participant

How would a man-to-man version differ significantly in concept, or be better than, FiveCore?

I for one would be interested in a man-to-man skirmish version, and a fantasy version thereof. But I would need to see how it would be significantly better than FiveCore, which I love.

I gotta post in english? With all those awesome games out there with foreign language titles? C'est la vie!

Harry FavershamHarry Faversham
    Participant

How would a man-to-man version differ significantly in concept, or be better than, FiveCore?

I’ll let you know how we get on!

“I’m about to take the plunge using the rules with single 28mm figures instead of fire teams. Each figure will be mounted on one of them rotating casualty marker thingys to record hits/damage. First campaign will be set in Zembala… the rescue of President Limbani by the ‘Wild Geese’!”

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Participant

You were one of the people that got me wondering, though you weren’t the only one mentioning it 🙂

If it were to happen, it’d aim at being a bit more cinematic and light-hearted than FiveCore probably, more conventional firing mechanic but with characters sticking around a bit longer than they do in FiveCore.

I’ll have to sketch it out on paper a bit to give a better answer 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Participant

Guilty as charged, yer ‘onour!

The Project is coming along nicely, I’ve got the ‘Wild Geese’ and Simba figures and a priest on a donkey. The kids are getting me a control tower and the Zembala airport building for Crimbo. Got this fella to inspire the Simbas when the lead starts flying…

Participant

Had a first run with the rules today and they play just as good as I thought they would. One thing we wondered about was the rule about firing under 12″. The enemy gets to shoot back at this range, does he get chance to have this return shot even if he’s just got zapped, and before you remove him from play? We decided he didn’t, as anybody daft enough to get riddled like that, deserves all he gets!

Participant

Glad you enjoyed it!

For regular Squad Hammer If the enemy got nailed, they don’t get to shoot back.

Nordic Weasel Games

Participant

As usual with a project it’s easy to get sidetracked… so I did. Instead of finishing the Simba patrol I kind of got interested in creating an appropriate psychotic lunatic to lead di’ Simbas.

President for Life… Field Marshal Zebedee Lukaku…

Thomaston
    Participant

This is cool, I like that with all his uniform and medals he’s still wearing sandals.

Participant

Game set up for Thursday. Three factions entering the capital, only the white Mercenaries know where the fugitive is hiding. They must lift him and make it over the bridge to the LZ for a bellyflopter rescue… the Mercs have excellent firepower.
    The Simbas and the Bongos are traditional tribal enemies, both hate the whites, but have poor firepower… and the ability to do a drug fuelled charge into close combat!

Participant

The tank hanging out: Is that part of the scenario or decoration? 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Participant

That’s for the idiots to find out on the day!

Participant

Good game, good game!
    Action was joined with the Simbas and Bongos laying down plenty of lead at each other to little effect. The Mercs, the only ones with a mission other than blood, forgot the prime directive and engaged in a prolonged firefight with a section of the (BNA) Bongolian National Army. Considering the disparity of firepower the Bongos gave a creditable account of themselves, forcing the rattled Mercs into cover to sort themselves out. This proved most beneficial as they also re-remembered the mission brief and stormed across the street, slaughtered the Simbas, and effected a rescue! By this time there were two Simbas left, one Bongo, two Mercs and the now armed fugitive. The white men crossed the bridge, losing one of their number to a Simba Bren gunner, and boarded their remarkably tiny Bellyflopters for tea and medals… as they did the natives breathed a sigh of relief and got back to happily killing each other. The Mercs Occifer and fugitive escaped, the Simba Bren gunner killed and be-headed the last Bongo, ending the engagement.
    Even the Dynamic Dunderheads comprehended the rules, and I could concentrate on my game, as opposed to spending two hours as a reluctant carer for two dribbling half wits!

JozisTinManJozisTinMan
    Participant

Looking good!  Thanks for sharing.  Cracking good rules.

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Participant

The rules are just what we have been looking for to do modern type skirmishes. Initially I was going to give the ‘spotting’ rule a miss till we got the hang of things, but found the rules swung along so well we used ’em, and would advise anyone else to do the same. Not spotting an enemy when you only need above a 1 on a D6 leaves you feeling most confident, till you role the dreaded 1 and have to stand there looking gormless, at a gloating Simba!

Excellent set of rules which will become our ‘go to’ set for these type of games. If three old farts like us can pick ’em up in two minutes then proper wargamers are in for a treat with ‘Squad Hammer’.

Participant

Appreciate all the kind words 🙂

You guys were treating each model as its own unit, right?

Nordic Weasel Games

Participant

Ivan, yes mate we used single figures, six a side, as you suggested in your e-mail reply to me some time ago. The rules worked seamlessly and all three of us were comfortable with them within 10 minutes of kick off. In my ‘umble opinion you’ve really nailed it with ‘Squad Hammer’… a set of simple and elegant rules that give an excellent/fun firefight with only needing a passing glance at the reference sheet. It’s speaks well of a ruleset, that after two hours play with just 18 toy soldiers, next week’s game will include a couple of armoured vehicles and an Apache gunship!

Participant

Much too kind!

Vehicles hopefully shouldn’t prove too much of a challenge. It flows mostly like any other unit, just gotta take a minute to figure out what units can damage tanks and by how much.

Also, keep a rolled up newspaper at hand to swat away any enterprising gear-heads before they get too carried away 😉

Nordic Weasel Games

Participant

Onward and upward with ‘Squad Hammer’ skirmishing. in the first game we based the figures on them 1-6 rotating casualty markers which was a bit fiddly, this time we went for recording hits on a D6 which followed each figure about. Not a big fan of this, as having dices all over the place, looks scruffy. However it works, and seeing the hits visibly multiply on yer targets, adds to morale and excitement!

This scenario had a senior UK politician hiding in the Bongolian capital from marauding Simbas who wanted a head on a stick. all went spiffingly as, spotting the rescue party, headed by the gallant Major Harry Faversham the senior UK politician shot their way from the church… knee deep in dead Simbas! Here’s the piccys…

The Gallant Major Harry Faversham…

The Iron Lady. Maggie was a bit of a 22 Regiment groupie so we gave her the ‘excellent firepower’ trait to reflect the training they gave her. Being a Diplomat (!!!) her shooter is concealed behind her back.

TBW certainly put the training to good use!!!

Come on Maggie, good old Blighty’s this way!

Participant

Clearly a lady who can handle herself!

I use small dice for tracking hits myself but it does get a bit messy.

How many players did you have for the scenario ?

Nordic Weasel Games

Participant

Should have been four of us, but one went man down, in a snowdrift! So we had two playing the Simbas which added to the lack of unified action that kind of typified ’em in ‘real life’. The remaining worthy took Major Harry Faversham’s lads and Herself!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.