Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Star Grunt meets Slammers

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    John Treadaway
    Participant

Jon Tuffley, owner and proprietor of Ground Zero Games;  author – of course – of many rules systems (Full Thrust, Dirtside, GCav etc) and the man behind the ever popular Star Grunt paid a visit at Slammers HQ and we played a couple of games, which was very nice!

We got out three detachments of the Solace Regular Army, (led by Colonel Priamedes) defending a town attacked by a detachment of the elite New Ukrainian Army. We played a game using The Crucible and then followed it with some actions using much of the same forces using elements of Star Grunt 3 which Jon is working on and we had a debrief (and some Pizza!) and discussed concepts and tossed about ideas. The first game, that we finished, was about equal on points: – about 2000 or so a side but the Solace were holed up in buildings and the Ukrainians had to advance and park outside the Police HQ to win.

Jon Tuffleys burning MICVs

To find out a little bit more and check out some pictures, have a look at the report on the Slammers site

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Mr. Average
    Participant

Jon Tuffley tops my list of all-time Class Acts.  He’s responsible for custom-casting the Earthlight Division for me.  And Stargrunt III?  Why yes, thank you, I will!

Looks like it was a hell of a game!  Your setups are always so great to look at.

John Treadaway
    Participant

Thanks Mr Average, appreciate the appreciation!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Angel Barracks

That is a very tasty looking game.

Rules Junkie Jim
    Participant

I agree, well tasty! Some really nice kit in there with great paint jobs.

And yes, Stargrunt III makes me want to weep with joy.

Guy Taylor
    Participant

As one of the Grognards still using G-Cav (30th anniversary edition) I look upon this with interest.

ArmiesArmy
    Participant

Two companies that got me back to gaming sci fi!

Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

Not since Goya’s Black Paintings has stark terror of war been so fully realized. And yet, and yet questions remain.

Why is cotton candy coming out of the Ukrainian pancake tank? Is Drake, here clearly America’s Blake so mighty is his vision, saying that the future will be edible? Why does everything look so squashed, as if the modeler wished to suggest the outward truth of some profound inward flatulence?

As Michiko Kakutani presciently commented in her review of the Slammer oeuvre:

“Tits or GTFO!”

Mike
    Keymaster

Try to curb the language please, this isn’t Frothers.

Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

It was good enough for the NYT, Mike!

Noel
    Participant

It has been a while since I have checked out a Slammers aar.  Always inspiring.

Ralph Plowman
    Participant

Forgive me, please, for dragging up an ancient thread and immediately going off topic, but I was searching for information on G-Cav and came across Guy’s comment above.

Is that a genuine reference to a 30th anniversary edition? Is somebody keeping the game alive?

Failing that, I’d be interested to hear if anybody has a copy of the rules they’d be willing to part with…

Thanks all
    Ralph

John Treadaway
    Participant

The shortest answer is that Jon Tuffley and I are still trying to shedule more time to work on this between his casting and designing and my editing and writing…!

John T

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Ralph Plowman
    Participant

It looks from that like the new Stargrunt is moving away from its focus on infantry and allowing more vehicular forces. Or is that just due to the figures you had following the slammers game?

To be honest, my previous question was directed towards G-Cav rather than Stargrunt, but I’m as excited for SG3 as the next man!

Arthur Braune
    Participant

I would love to get a copy of GCAV/G-CAV to scan and send to Jon – much like I did with the first editions of Full Thrust, Dirtside, Stargrunt, and the Stargrunt Weapons Manual.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I have never heard of G-Cav!  Very interested…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this, great fun it looks like!

John Treadaway
    Participant

Our idea is just to offer more options, I guess. Still lots of infantry action!

John T

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Ralph Plowman
    Participant

It’s all excellent news. You know where to come when you’re ready for playtesters!
    🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.