Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Starmada rules?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I’m confused by all the different variants of these rules. Last I remember it was Starmada X and Admiralty Edition. Now the newest is Unity edition. Are there major differences in these rules or are they incremental updates? How does the newest version compare to Starmada X, more complex? Simpler?

Starmada Unity
    Starmada Nova
    Starmada Admiralty Edition core rule
    Starmada Fleet Ops
    Starmada Universal game of Starship Combat
    Starmada X

Newer versions promised to be more streamlined.  I had the admiralty edition.  I did not think it was a step in the right direction.  Mostly tried to take things out a streamline the rules.  Mostly it was just a little different and enough was taken out to where you could not necessarily create any universe you desired.  I still think Starmada 5th edition compendium is the best version, at least of the ones I know about.  X was OK but did kind of get more complex than 5th edition.  Others will undoubtedly disagree.  Horses for courses.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Participant

It’s a very fun set of rules but yes, the clever naming conventions and the fact that several mutually incompatible versions are in print at the same time has made it very hard to keep track of. I thought “Nova” was the current edition but I could be wrong. I played it back when it was a free Word file, actually.

Participant

I absolutely agree about the confusion.  Is it really that difficult to add an edition number to the title?  Perhaps they’re a bit embarrassed about the sheer number of versions of the rules?  I thought Unity is the latest?

Participant

I recall Nova coming out but hadn’t heard of Unity.  Admiralty appealed to the “fast play” types and didn’t float for me.  I too like the game a little more complex, but we started playing Colonial Battlefleet instead (because of course BSG was on the tube) as it had defined roles for ships which really felt right.

I would be very interested in seeing a breakdown of the differences between the Starmada games.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>
    <p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>I would be very interested in seeing a breakdown of the differences between the Starmada games.

I was hoping for comparison like that. From whats been said seems like Admiralty Edition is significantly different from the otehr versions?

Here’s a list of all the versions. Back when I first got into the rules Starmada X was a newer edition so there must be older versions, including the one I used to own.
    Starmada Unity
    Starmada Nova
    Starmada Admiralty Edition core rule
    Starmada Fleet Ops
    Starmada Universal game of Starship Combat
    Starmada X

The name Fleet Ops sounds imteresting and implies larger forces than usual.

Fleet Ops is the abstracted version of the game to allow for large amounts of ships.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

It’s a very fun set of rules but yes, the clever naming conventions and the fact that several mutually incompatible versions are in print at the same time has made it very hard to keep track of. I thought “Nova” was the current edition but I could be wrong. I played it back when it was a free Word file, actually.

I did as well.  Helped with the play-testing of version 4 when it became shareware and then version 5.

John

--Abraham Lincoln

Participant

And just to add to the general level of confusion, I noticed there is another book coming out February 2020.  It’s the Starmada: 2020 Rules Annex, and promises that will “provide clarifications and revisions to the existing rules that collectively update the Unity Rulebook to version 2.0.”

Unity is the latest version, as it is also described as incorporating bits of Nova..  But now there will be Unity 2.0.  On the bright side, at least it isn’t going to be called something else, but uses a numerical edition!

http://www.mj12games.com/starmada/mjg0141.html

http://www.mj12games.com/starmada/mjg0140.html

There had been rules annex for at least one toehr version as well. I’m not so sure there wouldn’t be another version with a new name a few years in the future.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.